Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

So, is it a group thing, or can you literally just palm off the actual presenting of your presentation to someone else?
The latter. You have to do all the work except for the actual presentation itself IF you have a classmate willing to do it for you. I’m just that kinda person.

I'm really glad we didn't do presentations at school. Sounds like far too much compare-and-contrast with other students rather than ability alone, or being very reliant on whether someone else bothers to do any work.

I'm really glad we didn't do presentations at school. Sounds like far too much compare-and-contrast with other students rather than ability alone, or being very reliant on whether someone else bothers to do any work.
My teacher is a bit of a scatter brain, but she’s pretty good about knowing what’s the best a person can do, and usually gives out top marks if they did everything asked of them and didn’t just mess up at a fundamental level of presentation. My being the best speaker in the class doesn’t mean I get 100s and no one else does, it just makes it a little better for the audience.

I solved my IT problems.
now-I-can-sleep-peacefully-now-I-know-what-I-neede

Holding everyone accountable is a serious challenge in group presentations. In my case, when I notice someone slacking I tell them to leave it to me and I do their work as well. If a single person needs to deliver the presentation, I make sure that person is me.

I've had to do a lot of presentations at uni. As an introvert, it was surprising to find out that I am very good at speaking in front of people and going off memory. It's further proof that it's all about control for me, if I'm in charge I feel comfortable with difficult tasks, but if I'm not in charge I get anxiety about the simplest stuff.

Holding everyone accountable is a serious challenge in group presentations. In my case, when I notice someone slacking I tell them to leave it to me and I do their work as well. If a single person needs to deliver the presentation, I make sure that person is me.

I've had to do a lot of presentations at uni. As an introvert, it was to my surprise that I was very good at speaking in front of people and going off memory. It was further proof that it's all about control for me, if I'm in charge I feel comfortable with difficult tasks, but if I'm not in charge I get anxiety.
You basically hit the nail on the head for me personally. Sometimes I get nervous when speaking in front of people, especially if I don’t know a lot of them, but I can soldier on easily enough and there’s a lot of personal rest mentally if I’m the one doing the talking as opposed to someone else.

I took part in a group project talking about the fourth crusade and it was kind of a mess. One person had a speech impediment, which didn’t deter his willingness to present but made him hard to understand. Another person was unprofessional to a fault, speaking quietly and kinda goofing off at the same time. The third person had a panic attack, so they didn’t speak at all... and then there’s me, speaking louder than the goddamn teacher himself does, audibly, directly, and clearly... and that probably through the class off more than the rest of the ensemble.

They’re all perfectly fine people and they were great at researching and compiling the facts, but man, it would have been better to just have done the presentation itself by myself.

Most presentations at my department have been a disaster. Mainly because we do them in English and most people in the department simply aren't fluent enough to deliver a presentation properly. Add to that the nerves and you get people mumbling their way through a presentation while looking at their notes all the way through. As such, it wasn't difficult for me to stand out, which did give me an added confidence each time I had to do one.

It's mostly about preparation for me, though. The very first one I did I went on without having the stuff properly memorized and it was quite difficult to navigate. After that one I had everything memorized and didn't even prepare notes. I speak very fluently, so it became really comfortable for me. Even eye contact and body language naturally developed.

For me, I dislike to even plan out what I say to a great extent. Sure, I’m thinking about how to phrase stuff and where to speak about such and such, but instead of writing down notes and having bullet points and etc., I rather immerse myself in the subject matter I’m talking about, make a slide with few if any facts and instead focus on aesthetics there, and then just start speaking. I never quite know what I’m gonna say before I start speaking, but it’s okay because I’ve got a bunch of info stored away in my brain already.

This will all probably change when I exit high school level, but for now it’s worked quite well and sets my stuff apart from the rest of the people.

Back