Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

Seems like I'll be heading northwest tomorrow for a quick work trip ... hope the flight home on Sunday isn't halted by weather, I don't want to be stuck up there for Christmas. They eat weird food there.

I thought the Ruskin Arms was supposed to have been demolished ten years ago or so...

Like fermented fish, or is that just the north of Sweden?
Actually, we have fermented fish in East Norway (and it's not that popular in the west, it's mainly an inland thing - in the coastal regions they have usually salted and dried the fish). But it's a less extreme variety than the Swedish one, and usually trout is used. I quite enjoy it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rakfisk

The Swedish specialty Surströmming is made from Baltic herring. I have never tasted (or smelled) it myself, but I've heard it's in a different league odor-wise.

No, I was referring to the Western Norway tradition of eating "pinnekjøtt", steamed ribs of mutton, for Christmas - rather than the - in my opinion - much more appealing pork belly that is traditionally eaten here in the east.

Feast your eyes on this heart attack of a meal.

M90OOAq4QTtxm93sMgBoCQDT9tvUedb0V88v8qBJhIBA

Last edited:
May I ask what the cylindrical thing with the cross in the top is? On the right, looks like some sort of sausage.

Back