Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

Serious post time.

I've been struggling badly with anxiety in the past few weeks. It's been bad for a few weeks, but it's actually been a problem since last year with various other symptoms which I've misdiagnosed. It's been a slow burn which I thought I could handle but I obviously can't without putting serious work into getting better.

I've finally been prescribed antidepressants few days ago which I've started taking, but from all the different medications I've tried in the past few weeks, I've been forgetting things a lot and struggle to sleep. And the antidepressants take time to have effect and honestly I can barely clear my mind to work, let alone argue on the forum :p So if I say random stupid stuff a lot, and repeat myself, that's why :p Also why I'm slow at updating games.

Forum (and chat) does help me get my mind off everything, at least a bit. And posting about it. Hope no one minds. It's shitty but I don't wanna be embarassed about it, at least not here.

From what I've read, most people have anxiety issues with socializing, but I feel much better with other people to get my mind off everything. It's when I'm alone with my thoughts that the paranoia sets in. I remember every possible thing that can go wrong at work, or otherwise and that sets off the panic. Hell, I don't even like reading about anxiety because that alone gives me anxiety. I think the beginning of all this was when I got tinnitus 2 years ago which made me scared every time I didn't feel well. Actually, due to anxiety, I've kinda forgotten about tinnitus. Funny how it works.

I felt great on vacation last month, and during the MaidenFans meetup in Bulgaria, because I had something to look forward to and people to socialize with. And I go to uni to hang out with people even though I can barely remember what the lectures are about.

I can't tell anyone at work 'cause it might endanger my future there and so far I've been doing a good job hiding it. It's been a problem since before I even started working and no one noticed and there's no reason to tell them now. At least as long as I can handle it.

I go to a therapist regularly and she told me it might be because I kept all my frustrations with family and general life to myself for far too long and now it's all coming out at once. Well, either way, I'll try to work on it because I have to.

Might edit this post a few times btw. And I'll probably talk about it again.

Well done on talking about it NP, stuff like that is a massive bitch but I'm really glad that you've found stuff like this forum to help you with it. Venting about problems definitely helps for me so hopefully that approach works for you too. If you got any problems, we're always here:)

Yeah dude, we're always willing to read your posts, and I have Slack installed on my phone - if you ever need someone, jump on and shoot me a message. I'll likely be able to get back to you pretty quick.

Thanks for the post, NP. I'm sorry to hear you've been rather down and out lately, but a lot of what you wrote rather resonated with me personally. Since a few years now I've kinda had a slight break from reality mentally. The fact that I'm real and that I exist has boggled my mind a lot, but it took a drastic turn about a week ago when I had a panic attack in the middle of the night about my mortality - hence the posts in the Rant Thread which, while they probably seemed silly to the rest of you, were rather what was needed to help me move past. Since then I've just been kinda... living through the days thinking that every small piece of my body is gonna end up killing me and wondering what the fuck is beyond this when it all comes to an end.

Things took a really big dive Friday when I nearly passed out after a discussion of the effects of cannibalism in my English class somehow triggered something and... it was not fun. Luckily the rest of the day was fine and I've been feeling better since, but it's still really weird to me, especially because cannibalism doesn't faze me as a rule.

At this point, outside of my IRL friends, the one thing that helps me the most is music and being able to discuss that music with other people. Despite my zany posts here, overall MaidenFans is a place I like a lot because people have a lot of the same interests as I do. I used to be rather a... control freak with what others like and stuff but ever since my snappy response to GhostSword's post earlier this year I've fought to calm down and just accept that lots of people have different tastes. So currently if a post of mine seems to be an attack on someone, it isn't my intention and I usually do it now for... I dunno, sarcasm? Irony? To be funny? Something like that.

I almost hate to bring this up because it's NP's breathing time right now but I felt I had to write this. Feel free to ignore it or something.

Guys, there is no person on this forum that doesn't have challenges. If talking about it helps, I say talk about it, as long as it's in a constructive and open way!

For reference, concerns about mortality frequently bother me at night, too. I think it bothers many people, and I've felt the same feelings of panic. I don't have advice, other than I think we eventually all need to accept our limits, whatever they are. As unfortunate as they are.

Concerns about mortality have been a prominent fixture of my life for years. I check behind my back to see if there's anyone that could push me in front of the subway whenever I'm about to enter one, avoid balconies out of fear that I might want to jump, and contemplate the possibility of being the target of a stray bullet at least once every day.

As mentioned before, I have OCD, so these stuff lead to compulsive ritualistic behaviours. I'm trying hard to avoid doing those.

I used to be rather a... control freak with what others like and stuff but ever since my snappy response to GhostSword's post earlier this year I've fought to calm down and just accept that lots of people have different tastes.

Glad you wrote this Diesel, because I have very similar insecurities with things like that. With me, it's usually that I'm in the minority and it makes me feel like I'm wrong or stupid for having a different opinion. "Calm down and accept that lots of people have different tastes" is perfect advice that lots of people, myself included sometimes, should take.

With me, it's usually that I'm in the minority and it makes me feel like I'm wrong or stupid for having a different opinion.
For me it's been much of the opposite. While my opinion - mostly with regards to Maiden - is oftentimes in the minority (e.g. my love for "The Apparition"), I've always been more annoyed that I'm one of the few that sees it this way and not many others do. It's that part of me that I've been working hard to keep control of and I think I'm getting better with it.

In the good news department, Unleash the Archers's sweet ass patches are back in stock, so I've spent too much money to order one.

With me, it's usually that I'm in the minority and it makes me feel like I'm wrong or stupid for having a different opinion.
All opinions on the music are welcome here!

I've always been more annoyed that I'm one of the few that sees it this way and not many others do.
Sometimes it's very frustrating to see something that others can't. The unfortunate nature of that is that people sometimes don't see the same things. I get frustrated when people deny the brilliance of Paschendale (the term "disjointed" really bothers the hell out of me), but there we go.

NightProwler, Diesel and Flash and others. Never be ashamed or bothered if you wish to share personal stuff like that. I have done it as well, during a time in which I went through hell, and it helped me. As you know, people are very social here. And talking may relieve somewhat and you can get fine feedback as well.

I hope things will progress with you guys, from here.

The Norwegian state-owned broadcaster, NRK, are going to cover the chess world championship match between Magnus Carlsen and Fabiano Caruana, starting Friday this week in London. In their teasers they have taken inspiration from the London punk scene ... under the moniker "NRK in the UK" :lol:

Last edited:
I first thought these were patches for your butt. :facepalm:
Didn't figure you to ponder my butt in such ways, but hey, we don't judge.

NightProwler, Diesel and Flash and others. Never be ashamed or bothered if you wish to share personal stuff like that. I have done it as well, during a time in which I went through hell, and it helped me. As you know, people are very social here. And talking may relieve somewhat and you can get fine feedback as well.

I hope things will progress with you guys, from here.
Maidenfans is very much a family, and we support everyone. No matter how much they piss us off when we're arguing. Everyone here is part of my extended family, and I know most people feel the same.

Serious post time.

I've been struggling badly with anxiety in the past few weeks. It's been bad for a few weeks, but it's actually been a problem since last year with various other symptoms which I've misdiagnosed. It's been a slow burn which I thought I could handle but I obviously can't without putting serious work into getting better.

I've finally been prescribed antidepressants few days ago which I've started taking, but from all the different medications I've tried in the past few weeks, I've been forgetting things a lot and struggle to sleep. And the antidepressants take time to have effect and honestly I can barely clear my mind to work, let alone argue on the forum :p So if I say random stupid stuff a lot, and repeat myself, that's why :p Also why I'm slow at updating games.

Forum (and chat) does help me get my mind off everything, at least a bit. And posting about it. Hope no one minds. It's shitty but I don't wanna be embarassed about it, at least not here.

From what I've read, most people have anxiety issues with socializing, but I feel much better with other people to get my mind off everything. It's when I'm alone with my thoughts that the paranoia sets in. I remember every possible thing that can go wrong at work, or otherwise and that sets off the panic. Hell, I don't even like reading about anxiety because that alone gives me anxiety. I think the beginning of all this was when I got tinnitus 2 years ago which made me scared every time I didn't feel well. Actually, due to anxiety, I've kinda forgotten about tinnitus. Funny how it works.

I felt great on vacation last month, and during the MaidenFans meetup in Bulgaria, because I had something to look forward to and people to socialize with. And I go to uni to hang out with people even though I can barely remember what the lectures are about.

I can't tell anyone at work 'cause it might endanger my future there and so far I've been doing a good job hiding it. It's been a problem since before I even started working and no one noticed and there's no reason to tell them now. At least as long as I can handle it.

I go to a therapist regularly and she told me it might be because I kept all my frustrations with family and general life to myself for far too long and now it's all coming out at once. Well, either way, I'll try to work on it because I have to.

Might edit this post a few times btw. And I'll probably talk about it again.
Sorry to hear it NP. Nothing to be embarrassed about, obviously. Hope whoever prescribed you antidepressants knew what they were doing. Unfortunately, with or without them, you've got some hard work to do in your mind. Please beware of glass doors. See you. Love, Magnus.

Back