Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

Anyway… please, let's leave it, fellas. I'm not going to make many friends here with my attitude and opinions and I already offended your favourite pieces of art enough.

There was nothing offensive about it. The word that came to my mind reading your post was reach.

Also, I'd like to kindly ask you cut the "you guys are atheists so you're going to hate me for this" attitude. We won't, we'll just disagree.

...well, I did call a piece of work/an ideology of a beloved frontman of the band whose forum this is malignant, didn't I? ;)

That attitude you mention… I'm really sorry it looks that way and I will try not to do it anymore. I certainly don't think youse will hate me because of my faith, but more because of my character - throughout my life I've kept coming across some arguments/theories that are irrelevant, unsubstantiated, illogical and so on and they are usually put forth by people with this "above it all" attitude and I'm not patient with that. And I hated it even when I was still an atheist. Like the "man of science" argument - that's so overused and so... "not clever" in its basis I got this reflex against it, need to count to ten and I also might get somewhat hostile when somebody uses it (or at least it might seem so) and I believe it even already happened on this very forum. :oops: I don't like it, but it happens. Also, I'm a hothead and sometimes my conclusions tend to be drastic and dramatic and I really don't want to come off as SMX II ("you're an idiot, goodbye"), yet I also don't believe in that kind of relativism where "you got your truth, I got mine", no, there is only one truth, one way the facts are and we are obligated to do our best to try and get as close to the truth as possible. And that's not necessarily a religious thing, that's also the basis for all academical education (or, well, at least it should be). But... well, Foro tries to do that, I believe, and it usually ends up with pages of discussions on what your definition of "is" is, lot of hostilities, Medals of Boredom and so on. And religion is a really touchy subject, you wouldn't believe, for atheists sometimes even more so. Combined with the aforementioned hot-headedness, impatience regarding some attitudes and arguments and so on...

And doing this in typing on the net doesn't really help.

And this is how we get to "malignancies" and my pre-emptive apology that unfortunately ended up sounding condescending, obviously. Sorry 'bout that.

I just got to the point where I don't care anymore about religion, as long as religious people are keeping it to themselves. I care if it's used in public policy to justify BS stuff, but if someone wants to go to church or temple or a mosque or whatever on Sundays, or pray 5 times a day, or grow their hair and put it in a turban, it doesn't affect me.

Do I think the idea of doing all that stuff is absolutely silly? Of course I do. But people have the right to live how they wanna live, as long as it isn't use to hurt or oppress or harm.

Though I'm not a very religious person myself (I'm not even sure what I could be classified as), I respect religion very much. I think it's an interesting subject to learn about, and the Bible does feature some brilliant passages which I actually like very much. People have the right to choose their own beliefs, and whatever the heck it is they want to follow.

What I actively despise are religious people who think they're superior than everyone else and think they're entitled to force others to adhere to their personal beliefs.

That, I think, is beyond ignorant and, frankly, stupid.

throughout my life I've kept coming across some arguments/theories that are irrelevant, unsubstantiated, illogical and so on and they are usually put forth by people with this "above it all" attitude and I'm not patient with that. And I hated it even when I was still an atheist.

I'm in the same boat, so I totally get what you mean. I think it's very silly to speak in strong terms about something that has not been proven or falsified by scientific method. The line between knowledge and faith gets blurred quite often and that's the case for both believers and non-believers. The militant atheists sound quite gnostic sometimes, like they don't just not believe in god, but know that there isn't one.

Never been a militant atheist myself. I actually came very close to denouncing atheism earlier this year, and embracing pantheism instead. Idea of a god is not completely implausible, neither is the idea of an afterlife. The real reason I never believed in either, I'd say, is because both ideas sound suspiciously convenient for humans. This is especially true for some philosophical and religious schools of thought, the ones that portray god as a loving, forgiving entity, or the afterlife as a reward/punishment mechanism. I deem nature to be way too harsh to be created by a loving entity. Existence is both truly mesmerising and truly horrifying.

To me, a complete refusal to admit one might be wrong, a refusal to update ideas according to acquired information is a cardinal sin, pun intended. It is this, above everything else that I dislike, regardless of which line of thought it eminates from. The best idea, for me, is to be on a perennial quest for knowledge and to provide the conditions where this can take place.

If last night sounded weird lemme clear up - I have listened to a lot of Sabbath’s songs, and I enjoy them from time to time but they’ve never been my favorite band ever. I just haven’t heard any entire albums besides the debut because none of them really made me want to hear them.

I’d rather listen to the deep cut albums because I know literally nothing about them except that they exist.

Big storm here right now. Better vote in the CHEESEVIVÖR before it gets worse. And how come my phone has CHEESEVIVÖR in its predictive text bank?

Did catch a glimpse of the late stages of the eclipse before going to bed last night.

Also, what should be the proper punishment for playing a shit autotuned techno version of a song that's already utter garbage, loudly, at 1 AM on the warmest night of the year, when everyone in the neighbourhood is likely to have their bedroom windows open?

I suggest 10 years in a GULag.

Back