Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

Finally got to fly again :) Unfortunately not very long as the one flying before me was on his cross-country solo flight and got delayed, eating off my booked time. Then I got to eat a bit (albeit less) off the next student's time.

Some new elements introduced today: Flew 8-s around two references in the terrain. A small lake and a large clearing in the forest. Practiced steep turns for the first time. And practiced the emergency procedure for power loss in flight - hope I'll never need it for real!

Didn't nail the landing (e.g. had a slight wheel skid on touchdown), but the instructor didn't have to save it. There was a bit of crosswind, I blame that.
You didn't mention the Vampires

Sorry, forgot.

Two former RNoAF Vampires (now privately owned) that flew an airshow on Sunday, had been parked at the airfield since then. Today when preparing for my lesson, I and my instructor met the pilots who told us they would be leaving at 1700. So after finishing the lesson, I stayed a while so I could see them take off :)

cmsimg.php

Kevin Bridges' accent is typically Glaswegion/West Coast of Scotland; but he quite noticeably speaks slower & pronounces some words with care. I'm sure he speaks waaay faster than that for real. I still find it reasonably surprising that people wouldn't be able to understand that accent though.

I've seen some of his stand-up specials and have seen him on British panel shows quite a bit, haven't had a problem understanding him.

Irish is the accent that I truly have trouble understanding sometimes. Two Irish Olympic athletes appeared on Graham Norton once and I was barely able to understand a word of what they were saying.

Brief recap of my trip to Copenhagen. For my review of the show itself, go here (SPOILERS).

Left home in the late morning of Tuesday and got to the airport. Knowing that I'd be heading straight to the pub upon arrival, I knew eating wouldn't receive much attention once I got to Copenhagen, so I had a solid lunch at OSL/ENGM. Spotted a RNoAF C-130 Hercules take off but the curtains prevented me from getting a good photo of it.

Upon arriving Copenhagen, I quickly located my hotel which was located next to the tourist trap Nyhavn:

kobenhavn-nyhavn-1-1000.jpg

After unpacking my stuff, I went to Højbro Plads where Maiden Denmark were hosting a pre-party. That is, a pub with Trooper on tap and Maiden on the speakers. I met up with @Black Wizard, ventured inside the pub and started exhausting their reserves of Trooper.

Some dudes from the Danish Maiden fanclub were handing out souvenir guitar picks.

After a while, it seemed the pub had underestimated the visitors' thirst for Trooper, they were out of it and we had to switch to other beers.

Unlike other places, Denmark allows you to bring your beer outside. Hence Wiz and myself went outside to enjoy our cold beverage in the sun, having a chat with various other Maiden fans. Including en Englishman, and a Danish 17 years old girl who was there with her father. After many beers had been drinked, it was time to leave for Royal Arena. The Copenhagen metro worked flawlessly on its way there.

Now again, visit the tour thread for my review of the show itself.

When the show had ended, we headed for the metro which was not equally reliable on its way back to the city centre. It stopped just before reaching the next station. After baking inside the train for 15 minutes or so, we evacuated it through the first carriage and waited some more at the station. Here, drunken singing took place. And there was much rejoicing.

Then, another train arrived. And there was much rejoicing.

Being quite exhausted and tired after the show and the metro endeavour, Wiz and I said goodbye and I went back to my hotel for a crash landing.

Trip recap, part 2.

The next day, I was woken up by traffic noise bloody early. Hence, not much of a recovery! After getting up and having a pleasantly slow breakfast, I checked out and started on a hungover walkabout. Walking along the sea, I saw a cruise ship, a helluvalot of tourists pouring out of the ship, and a little mermaid:
den-lille-havfrue-506.jpg

I walked on, through the fortification known as Kastellet. Here I saw a windmill, making me think of @Forostar - and a loose cannon, making me think of @LooseCannon. I finished my trip by walking back towards Nyhavn and found an outdoor restaurant where I had lunch, before hading out to the airport and had a rather uneventful flight back to Norway, challenging myself to try to recognize landmarks on the ground when we entered Norwegian airspace. I might soon enough need those for navigation.

It was called Bethel. It sounds religious and it also had the word "Sømandshjæm" (Sailor's home), so I suspect it was founded as a sort of Christian sailor charity. Now it is an ordinary hotel. Nothing out of the extraordinary, but my room was nice and clean (with a nice view of the harbour), the breakfast decent and the staff helpful. And the price was good.

While I was in Budapest, I was walking a good 12 miles a day ...been trying to keep that up since I got home and have been doing 10 to 11 miles a day, every day this week. But, I am giving myself the extra mile since it is 20+ degrees hotter here. Going to try to keep this up all summer and get to the weight I should be at.

Back