Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

He's from Montenegro.
How dare you.

NP, what is homophobia like compared to here? I forget where you're from.
Serbia. Eh. It's not terrible but it's not good either. Homophobic people are passionately homophobic, not-homophobic people are just "let them do what they want" and won't put in effort to fight for gay rights.

Good luck, @Perun!

What is "it" in this setting? The military? The tiger shark? The Illuminati? Or a very rugged car? :p
Erdogan.

I moved to a new desk today. I'm now on the 5th floor of my building after being on the second floor for two-and-a-half years. Good exercise.

I'm beside a wall actually. :lol: If I walk over to the other side of the room then there is, if it's a clear day (which it is day), or if I go to the staircase.

So the second interview was for a job I really want, and I had to do an online Maths test for it. This was the first Maths test after my final exams at school, which I made in the second run with the absolute minimum amount of points that were granted to me by my teacher who probably never wanted to teach me again. I'm fucked.

How hard was the math?

You would have probably thought it was easy. But to me it was unsolvable, especially under the time constraints. They were problems such as "A vendor sold 11/28 of his stock of product A, 19/23 of his stock of product B and 3/6 of his stock of product C. How much of his total stock did he sell?" I've had it explained dozens of times to me, but I am not able to perform such operations.

I got it like this (probably a neanderthal way to do it though :p):

11/28, 19/23, 3/6 ->
for the denominators (28, 23, 6) the lowest common denominator (LCD) is 1932 ->
rewrote the original fractions as equivalent fractions with the LCD: 759/1932, 1596/1932, 966/1932 ->
combined the numbers on the left and the numbers on the right and got 3321/5796 which equates to ~57.2%.

Well, if it was written like that, not even a grade A student could have solved it. You also would need to know the relative size of the stocks of A, B and C.

Still, I would've probably been thrown off my guard a bit if I were asked to perform calculations during an interview. Even simple ones. Speaking of unexpected topics in job interviews: when I was interviewed for my current position, I was asked whether I did maintenance on my own car ...

11/28, 19/23, 3/6 ->
for the denominators (28, 23, 6) the least common denominator (LCD) is 1932 ->
rewrote the original fractions as equivalent fractions with the LCD: 759/1932, 1596/1932, 966/1932 ->
combined the numbers on the left and the numbers on the right and got 3321/5796 which equates to ~57.2%.

Here you have assumed that there were equal proportions of A, B, and C. As for the method - it may be neanderthal, but it is the only straight-forward way of doing it. This of course means that with these numbers, there has to be a substantial amount of work.

I don't think it can be done if A, B and C don't have equal proportions. I'm pretty bad at math though, so I might be wrong. Maybe it was a trick question for Perun?

I just made up the numbers. They were problems like that, the numbers were different. They certainly weren't trick questions because they were multiple choice with 4 options, and 18 problems in total.

I don't think it can be done if A, B and C don't have equal proportions. I'm pretty bad at math though, so I might be wrong. Maybe it was a trick question for Perun?

Of course it can be done, but you need to know those proportions. What you did was basically multiplying each of these fractions by 1/3 before adding them together. If the proportions were different you would just replace 1/3 by the actual number.

I just made up the numbers. They were problems like that, the numbers were different. They certainly weren't trick questions because they were multiple choice with 4 options, and 18 problems in total.

Still, a weird thing to ask in an interview. Dare I ask what kind of position this interview was for?

Hmm. Calculating fractions sounds like a weird skill to ask for such a job. But of course, standardizing things, including tests, is a very German thing to do :D (sorry, couldn't resist)

Back