Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

We have quite good food here, girls are cute, you'd probably get a lot of our phrases that we picked up because you guys occupied us for 500 years! :p

We have quite good food here, girls are cute, you'd probably get a lot of our phrases that we picked up because you guys occupied us for 500 years! :p

But you also call Fanta osvježavajuće bezalkoholno piće od voćne baze naranče, so not really. Or are those Croatians? I keep mixing it up :p :D

Homemade is very good as well but eating out is better. Can't do it that often though, very expensive.

We're obviously famous for our kebabs. And I can clearly say, if you haven't come to Turkey to have kebab, you haven't had a kebab in your life. I find a lot of foreigners think döner kebab and şiş kebab are the only types of kebab. But just about every province and region in the country have their own kebabs here.

Never been to Turkey unfortunately. Would like to go though. I'm sure I could find some great old records in Turkey too :). From Turkish cuisine I know of Dolma, like the stuffed vine leaves? Should be very common food I've heard that sort to serve for guests and so on...And Turkish pepper paste is also really good :D

Never been to Turkey unfortunately. Would like to go though. I'm sure I could find some great old records in Turkey too :). From Turkish cuisine I know of Dolma, like the stuffed vine leaves? Should be very common food I've heard that sort to serve for guests and so on...And Turkish pepper paste is also really good :D

Yep, dolma is very common. I don't like most types of it actually, except for this one, which is great. This is the one that you serve the guests as a snack of sorts. Dolma can also be a main course but I don't like those types.

The one you serve the guests as a snack is called sarma but it's a type of dolma itself. If a dolma made of vine leaves has minced meat inside, it usually becomes a main course. Other popular types of dolma include zucchinis, eggplants, green peppers. Stuffing is usually the same for each one: Rice, minced meat, tomatoes, salt, black pepper. They also are exclusively prepared with olive oil.

Worth giving you the translations to help you out: Dolma literally means "stuffing". Sarma means "wrapping". The distinction comes from the skill level preparing a sarma requires, not unlike a Cuban cigar. The thinner you can do it without messing it up, the more skilled you are.

Worth giving you the translations to help you out: Dolma literally means "stuffing". Sarma means "wrapping". The distinction comes from the skill level preparing a sarma requires, not unlike a Cuban cigar. The thinner you can do it without messing it up, the more skilled you are.

Excellent. So what if you serve a plate full of sarmas for the guests. it basically means you did your absolute best and all of that work just for the guests :D

I want to eat Turkish food now though.

An old tradition has it that the thinner the sarma gets, the better the potential bride who prepared it is.

A similar old tradition concerns Turkish coffee. During the traditional "Asking for the bride" visit between families, the potential bride prepares Turkish coffee for the guests and it's quite a big deal for the bride to prove herself.

Back