Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

The last time I was over to watch Man Utd (in March this year), I had a little walkabout in that area. Stayed at a hotel near the railway station. To the surprise of noone, it was raining.

The latest Rockfight screenshot:

13_001_drummer.png
Looking good so far! I can't wait until it's complete and I really hope you'll make a Mac version.

Is Fish'n'chips really England's national dish? Potatoes are from the Americas originally.

Fish'n'Chips is surely more likely to be a Scottish thing specifically? but it is certainly associated with Britain as far as the rest of the world is concerned. I'm sure I've heard in the past (on QI I think amongst other places?) that it's a Chicken Tikka for England, shockingly.

Hmm, according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_dish Fish'n'Chips is the national dish of the UK. England's is Beef and Scotland's is Haggis, but the list does note it's not official just dishes that are associated with that country, I don't think there are any 'official' dishes, they're just based on popularity... preference or actual numbers I don't know. Although according to http://britishfood.about.com/od/introtobritishfood/ss/top-50-british-foods.htm that makes it the Bacon Butty, which is perfectly acceptable :D

To me, fish and chips has always seemed like what a hamburger is in the US: a popular tasty treat that may be everywhere, but nonetheless expresses little real national character.

Ask me what "American food" is and I'll give you answers that come from specific areas. Gumbo, Tex-Mex, Barbecue, New York or Chicago pizza but not generic pizza like Dominos or Tombstone, New England Clam Chowder, etc.

I have no idea what famous regional foods are in England. I'll bet I've heard of some if you name them, but as an American I don't know the regions they come from. I've always thought of bread pudding as an English food, is that right?

Well, my ears are still ringing and I'm not hearing well in a few different registers. Why?

I just got back from my first gig at Maverick's Pub - Xandria, Delain, and Sonata Arctica. You can fit MAYBE 200 people in the place, and I was about two heads back from Elias Viljanen and Tony Kakko. Incredible energy.

Last January, I caught a weird flu which came with an ear infection that blew out my right eardrum for a month. I have much (relatively) recent experience with both severe tinnitus and partial deafness. So your question may be rhetorical, but here's the answer.

Your ear canal works like this: sound first hits the eardrums, those vibrations get tranferred through the famous three small bones (hammer, anvil and painkiller, right?) and eventually to the innermost part of your ear, called the cochlea. The cochlea is filled with fluid that sound sets in vibration, and it is lined with thousands of microscopic hairs. Each of those hairs wiggles in sympathy with only certain frequencies; which hairs are wiggling determines the pitch we're hearing. Every individual hair is attached to a dedicated nerve running straight to the brain's hearing center.

Tinnitus is caused by a hair bent out of shape, always sending its signal to the brain just like a light switch left in the on position. To end it, you have to reset that hair. This is often easily done (for minor tinnitus) by simply closing your ear with your fingertip (make sure you've got an airtight seal) and popping it back open again quickly. The quick change in pressure causes a wave that usually resets mildly disruptive hairs; you'll often hear the ringing fade to nothing over the next 30 seconds or so.

Severe tinnitus like that caused by loud rock shows, as you knows, works itself out in time, as the natural effect of hearing sounds slowly herds your dazed and confused ear hairs back into place. The threshold for permanent hearing damage (loss of high frequencies) is a show that keeps your ears ringing for about 48 hrs or more. If you hit a lot of loud shows and days full of tinnitus happen frequently, you're walking closer to permanent hearing loss every day.

That's super sweet for sure Travis!

Fish'n'Chips is surely more likely to be a Scottish thing specifically?
Only if it's deep fried. -_-

Ask me what "American food" is and I'll give you answers that come from specific areas. Gumbo, Tex-Mex, Barbecue, New York or Chicago pizza but not generic pizza like Dominos or Tombstone, New England Clam Chowder, etc.
I watched a Sepultura tour diary a few years ago and they were in Europe. While they were wandering around either Dublin or a place in England they came across a food court in a shopping centre where one of the outlets sold "Real American Food". One of the band said, in Portuguese, "Real American food is all Mexican".

My big 21 inch monitor beast is at long last here. I've been coping with a crappy Packard Bell one for years now.

Back