Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

Yea it's much more about shock factor. Very boring. I guess it's an attention span thing, people might want a quick obvious "scare".

Somebody entertain me. :)

I'be been spending my work time scoping out the area I'll be staying in Chicago. I'm by a bunch of places to eat, a mall, a couple micro-brewerys and a comedy club. I think I'll find something I can do!

You realize, of course, that Chi-town is MY town. Where will you be staying?

Eat a hot dog while you're there. You owe it to yourself to eat at the Wiener's Circle on Clark St. -- get the Char Cheddar Dog. Avoid Portillo's, it's a tourist trap.

Last edited:
I think it's just a different type of 'scare'. Making people jump is a sudden shock but it wears off fast, whereas the slow impending danger of a zombie in things like the original Dawn of the Dead is different, old horror films I think went more for psychological affairs with sound in particular being put to better use. The kind of things that when you are lying alone in the dark later on you're far more likely to be thinking "did I just hear something?".... they leave a longer impression.

I'd say the older method is better, but people don't seem to scare the same way anymore, perhaps making them jump is the only way to have any sort of shock effect now, and people simply laugh at those old films.

Very true. It was about atmosphere and tense plot in old horror movies.

We fucked up our holiday real bad.
My kids passports don't expire until November.
But our return trip is scheduled less than three months before their expiry date.
We're prevented from boarding our plane last night because of that.
Earliest we can get it fixed and get a new flight is Tuesday.
So long, paris.

That sucks, I have read that before (the 3 month deal), I put in a calendar reminder to renew ours months before they expire to play it safe. Stupid, that really really sucks.

Totally our job to check for stuff like that, but goddamit.
We need to get a costly "urgent passport" renewal as soon as the office opens Monday, then, assuming that works, book another flight, hopefully Tuesday, maybe Wednesday, and pick up our trip five or six days in.
Probably going to cost us an extra $2500 for less holiday, but if we don't spend we're out even more on the rooms and the flights we've booked beyond Paris and we get no holiday at all.

Last edited:
A guy was watching TV as his wife was out cutting the grass during the hot summer afternoon. He finally worked up the energy to go out and ask his wife what was for dinner.

The wife was quite irritated about him sitting in the air conditioned house all day while she did all the work, so she scolded him. "I can't believe you're asking me about dinner right now! Imagine I'm out of town, go inside and figure dinner out yourself."

So he went back in the house and fixed himself a big steak, with potatoes, garlic bread and tall glass of iced tea. The wife finally walked in about the time he was finishing up and asked him, "You fixed something to eat? So where is mine??"

"Huh? I thought you were out of town."

I'll have to be drunk non-stop in the next 8 days to make it to the day we go home. My soon to be ex-friend is ruining everything and I can't take her shit anymore. I'd leave now, but her dad is really nice to me and trusts me to keep her in (some) order...

My fault for being too nice and trusting people. And it seems I'm very gullible too. Details in chat when I come back. One more week :(

Back