Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

Saturn looks scary. And that makes is very special.

I've officially started to like death growls. Even started practicing them myself. While my taste in music softens as years go by, it also broadens which is probably why I've come to appreciate growls.

Last edited:
Apparently it's quite difficult to get Spaniards to accept that the Arabs had a massive influence on the culture of the Iberian peninsula.

Even if you are right, not all Iberian Peninsula was conquered by the Arabs. Besides, "Spaniards" is too much broader sense since there are many nations in Spain. So there are many cultures in the Iberian Peninsula, and some of them didn't had any Arab influence at all while others like you said, had a "massive influence".

They ruled the fucking thing for 700 years.

No, they didn't, except for selected regions. Most of the Arab World in the Iberian Peninsula was only in the South and the Center by 1100 AD. That's almost 400 years before the Spanish Unification. I'm not trying to diminish Arab influence there, but you cannot generalize since there are many different regions with different kind of influences.

No, they didn't, except for selected regions. Most of the Arab World in the Iberian Peninsula was only in the South and the Center by 1100 AD. That's almost 400 years before the Spanish Unification. I'm not trying to diminish Arab influence there, but you cannot generalize since there are many different regions with different kind of influences.

Well, yes. But a lot of what is considered to be the heart of Spain lay under Arab rule for a long, long, long period of time. Spain's a country with a lot of different regions and identities that is hard for an outsider to understand. You say some of the Iberian peoples have had no Arab influence - I find myself curious which you mean.

I've no idea how my mother became a teacher when she can't even copy words properly. Sent me this: Opprotinitinuties. :nuts:

You're right of course, Rotam. I don't think LC meant his statement to be taken literally. But there's no doubt that Muslim rule over and presence in Spain is as diverse as Spain in itself. The Emirate of Granada was certainly an entirely different entity from the Caliphate of Cordoba.

I think that before making statements about the Arabs and Moors influencing Spanish culture, we'd need to define Spanish culture in the first place. Can you use the same paradigms on Castilia and Andalusia? What did Andalusia take from Castilia? What Andalusian influences are there in Castilia? I'd still think that, one way or the other, there was an Arab/Moorish influence in the areas never under their control in the same way Moorish Spain took influence from the Christian heritage and became a unique culture within the Muslim world.

230.gif.pagespeed.ce.h8b_vdYbGg.gif

Back