Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

Not even an inch. A slightly slippy road surface means everyone I work with will be allowed to work from home.

I may have mentioned this before: A friend of mine spent four months (from January to May) this year in London. He was quite shocked at what tiny snowfall was capable of stopping the train traffic in the entire city :rolleyes: I assume it takes a bit more up in the Lake District, and in Scotland?

Anywhere on high ground, yes, but severe disruption in the most populated areas is unusual. Problem is, no-one is really prepared for it, because any amount of snow is actually pretty unusual in places like London. The local authorities ran out of grit a couple of years ago, which caused problems.

! If such a thing happened in any city/town in Norway, the ones repsonsible would be taken to the square in front of the town hall, handcuffed to a lamp post and have snowballs thrown at them for humiliation!

I have the distinction of having one of the few grit bins in the area right outside my house. I'm going to stand and guard it in case people in vans come round trying to steal all the grit. They do that.

Canada has the rep above being this cold and snowy country, but my part of it is the exception.
Every year we get one or two dumps. Every year people react like it's the apocalypse.

Well I guess Denver is pretty close to some mountains, but I thought it was too early for snow. It's still hurricane season for gods sake! (80% chance of tropical cyclone formation off the coast of Mexico by the way!)

Hurricanes are interesting. I love the way the ones that hit American cities are covered. Every network has a reporter standing on the coast struggling to remain standing. It's fantastic television.

Haha. And when the first snowfall comes surprising on Norwegian car drivers (because the time of it is so unpredictable), you'll always have a reporter standing there looking like a snow-man while the road rescue service is pulling some car back on the road :D

That happens in Britain as well, and it gets called "The Big Freeze".

The way this country deals with snow is pretty abysmal. In London, all the buses are cancelled when there's light snowfall and earlier this year the council in Birmingham didn't clean up the snow and ice around the university so walking was pretty difficult. One of my friends didn't have any suitable footwear so it took her 45 minutes to do the 20 minute walk into University, with her housemate's help.

That "Up the Irons (An Epic Hymn to Iron Maiden)" - trilogy of Youtube videos is actually worth a revisit. Really well done.

Except the Janick bashing, of course.

Last edited:
Back