Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

Can is a great band! :) Although I'm listening to the Soon Over Babaluma album, not as freaky weird as Tago Mago....

I've heard a bit but not enough to form an opinion. Like Sun Ra?

I like Sun Ra.

I like some ELP, but sometimes they're too over the top for even a prog snob like me.

It's Tarkus time

I get what you mean Mosh...You need to be in the mood sometimes for their intricate stuff....But they do have plenty of mellow catchy tunes though as well I feel.

Totally. Tarkus is a classic anyway. But they're definitely my least favorite of the classic prog groups.

They went a bit too Arena with their style at times...but still some of their tracks are just toooo good!.

Hmm, If Greg Lake hadn't been in the band then they wouldn't be as high on my list either I think. But I love the stuff he brings to the band. I really like his playing and voice. And well, the fact that they are a trio also means a lot to me....To be able to do musically what they've done as a trio is pretty spectacular :D

They fell harder than most of the other groups too.
220px-ELP_Love_Beach_cover.jpg

I've always thought the drums were the best part of that spectacle. Which is part of why I liked Asia so much, it's nice to hear Carl Palmer's drumming talents in more cohesive music.

Well, the drumming and they keyboards are just as good. Ha ha, Yeah...well that was a record company album through and through...also their last album for like 20 something years. If they didn't HAVE to put out that album for the label I doubt it would have seen the light of day, definitely not with the goodwill of ELP.

A case could me made for *most* prog rock bands of the 70s that they sorta fell into all that record company bullshit in the 80s.....Look at Genesis, look at Yes....

I'll give you Yes, but 80's Genesis is awesome. Even at their most poppiest, they never lost their prog roots.

It's different, but I like that they changed their sound. Definitely wasn't record company bullshit either, Phil Collins always had that pop side to him.

He definitely had..but I think during that time he also got in (invisible :p) touch with some record label dudes that knew how to push buttons and make songs for the market at the time...I mean...albums like Invisible Touch, We Can't Dance etc...They're so time orientated...so 80s. I mean sure, the songs themselves are good and some of them still have some prog qualities, although that's more on albums like Duke (great album) and earlier Collins Genesis albums...but Invisible Touch, We Can't Dance was definitely aimed at a market....

You don't go in and hire a producer who'll make your sound more accessible to more people for no reason.....it's like what Metallica did in the 90s with Bob Rock on Metallica

Just came back from dinner with my dad. Good to see he is healthy. He said that if Maiden plays Ottawa next year I should go up, which is awesome.

It sounds like he wants to see you.. Maybe you should make a visit up there with/without Maiden? Unless of course he is as big of a Maiden fan as you are, then it all makes sense!

Last edited:
Back