Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

The match is over, so yes :D

By the way, here is a quote from The Guardian's live text coverage of the match:

"It's national anthem time and England have decided to stick with God Save the Queen. Why? Fact is it just hasn't been working for them in recent decades. Change is needed. English players just charge out on to the pitch to the sounds of, say, Iron Maiden's The Trooper."

"It's national anthem time and England have decided to stick with God Save the Queen. Why? Fact is it just hasn't been working for them in recent decades. Change is needed. English players just charge out on to the pitch to the sounds of, say, Iron Maiden's The Trooper."

That has the same problem as 'God Save the Queen'. Bruce waves the Union flag during 'The Trooper' not St. George's cross, and 'God Save the Queen' is the national anthem for United Kingdom so English sports teams shouldn't use it as their own.

I've never been that happy with God Save the Queen as our anthem tbh, surely England (or UK whichever you wish) should be about more than 1 person...

'Rule Britannia' is about Britain so you can't use that. As as 'Land of Hope and Glory'.

You could use 'Jerusalem', but then the place itself has bugger all to do with England!:lol:

Rule Britannia was always my pick for a "Great Britain" (Olympics etc) type anthem. I'd be content with Jerusalem for England as then I could legitimately use the Bruce version... but there should be something more 'Englandy'.

Similar frustration for me is that say when I went to Heathrow and there was a store all about GBR/England all it sold was stuff to do with the Queen, Union Flag, Red Bus or the Beatles... like seriously?

Similar frustration for me is that say when I went to Heathrow and there was a store all about GBR/England all it sold was stuff to do with the Queen, Union Flag, Red Bus or the Beatles... like seriously?

That's all the tourists care about! In Scotland it's all Nessie and Haggis, as in the ones that run around the hills.

I do like Jerusalem. The one I can never understand is Swing Low, Sweet Chariot at rugby matches.
Yeah that one makes no sense. It's originally a slave song isn't it? I wonder if all 80,000 white guys appreciate the irony when they're singing it...

Back