Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

You know, it was pretty fun!  Whether or not you like their sound, I thought they were quality musicians that put on a good show and were very entertaining.  Most of the bands only played for an hour or so- I wouldn't mind seeing them play a full set.

Here's a game that I've been waiting for and can't wait to play:

270581_2245845983951_1182204442_32768311_6228111_n.jpg

Fuck. I need an English language certificate. Can you believe it? I've worked with bloody English language dissertations, and now people don't believe I can comprehend English in an academic context. Fuck, fuck, fuck.

@Per, that sucks!  sorry....

@Cornfed, I recall someone on here posting about it, but don't recall who, where or when-- not a lot of help!

and for your amusement, this made me smile.

http://7chan.org/fl/src/hey.swf

It will loop.
OK, sorry-- I hate links that don't tell you what you are seeing-- It is safe for work, its a He-man mashup to the 'whats going on' song.

Perun said:
Fuck. I need an English language certificate. Can you believe it? I've worked with bloody English language dissertations, and now people don't believe I can comprehend English in an academic context. Fuck, fuck, fuck.

You have better English than 99% of native English speakers. I will certify you.

How do you get an English language certificate. Is it just a test you can take?

LooseCannon said:
How do you get an English language certificate. Is it just a test you can take?

Some countries have official language tests that certify you to study at university level, e.g. Germany has the Sprachdiplom (sp?) and France has the DELF (?).  I believe Finland in Finnish is very flexible in this (e.g. studies in Finnish at high school/university level usually qualify you), which is strange since Finnish is extremely hard to learn.  Scotland would probably be somewhere between these two?

Wasted The Great said:
@Cornfed, I recall someone on here posting about it, but don't recall who, where or when-- not a lot of help!
It was Yax - I believe.

LooseCannon said:
You have better English than 99% of native English speakers.

That's what pisses me off so much about it. I wanted to write my BA dissertation in English, but they didn't let me. I wrote an eloquent application and translated all the documents I had to file in and got a seal of approval, but it's no good. If there is no official document that says I speak English, then I don't speak English.

It's worse. It looks like I have to pay 240 Euros so that I can take a test and some German tells me I can speak English. That's absolutely ridiculous! I'm almost taking this as a personal insult.

No kidding. There's not much I take pride in, but I do think that at least my comprehension of the English language is close to perfect. I do make a few Germanisms on occasion when speaking English, but I also "think English" very often when trying to come up with something in German. In fact, I very often substitute English words when I can't find a proper German expression.
I just took an online test, and at the end they told me I got the highest grade, meaning that I have no difficulty reading English literature or newspapers. Well, no shit. Thank you, oh great online test developed by Germans for attesting me that I have no difficulty with the English language! Seriously, they have a big picture of some German hipster on their website who is presented as your contact. I can already tell by that picture alone that he speaks English with a pseudo-American accent that only serves to display how German he actually is. At least my American accent is real, and no matter how much I try to conceal it, everybody hears it.

/rant

I see where you're coming from ... I think my English is also more than good, at least compared to many I encounter in academia, and I would be fuming if I had to pay to take a test to certify that my English was good enough for me to study or work in an English-speaking country.

Back