Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

Quote from Drunk Posting:

Eddies Wingman said:
Now my female Iranian colleague, who doesn't touch alcohol,

They never seem to do. I was at that Turkish-Iranian wedding last night, and it was alright though mightily unspectacular. But what really bugged me was the fact that men and women danced separately: WTF?  :huh:

My impression is that for most of them, even though they are not really devout Muslims, pork and alcohol are rather big taboos to them. Even if they dress in a Western style, don't care if their food is prepared the "halal" way or not and very rarely go to a mosque, they still abstain from pork and alcohol. As for women and men dancing separately, that just seems as being what they're used to. That dancing isn't the way they are used to get in contact with the opposite sex.

By the way, after she saw the condition I was in yesterday (as we traveled back to Norway) I think she'd rather not start drinking alcohol ... bloody hell, I still feel a bit reduced today. Traveling when hung-over is terrible.

(However, there is one Iranian guy in our research group who does drink beer and wine, he also goes to tango class on his free time  :D So, there are exceptions from the rule)

Eddies Wingman said:
My impression is that for most of them, even though they are not really devout Muslims, pork and alcohol are rather big taboos to them. Even if they dress in a Western style, don't care if their food is prepared the "halal" way or not and very rarely go to a mosque, they still abstain from pork and alcohol. As for women and men dancing separately, that just seems as being what they're used to. That dancing isn't the way they are used to get in contact with the opposite sex.

That is my impression from a good number of Iranians I know. Although for some reason, pork seems to be a bigger problem than alcohol. I haven't actually been able to tell whether this is the exception or the rule. Most Persians I know who were raised here from the beginning on don't seem to care, but those who came here at some point in their lives appear to have a bigger problem with it. But then again, not all.
As for the dancing, I know, they dance to celebrate. It's just a bummer, because the dance floor was actually the only area where you got close to other people.

FIGHT FIRE WITH FIR
THE ENDING IS NEAR

Really getting into Metallica lately. Early Metallica of course.
I'll practice Master of Puppets until I can actually play it without my arm falling out.
What the hell is a song where the riff is harder to play than the solo?!

Mega said:
FIGHT FIRE WITH FIR

If you did that, you'd lose.

Canaan_Fir_4.jpg

Fir is a family of evergreen pinaceae. It contains c. 50 species common to the entire holarctic zone. They are particularly common in areas with rougher climates such as alpine, subalpine and boreal zones. The closest extant relative tree family is the cedar. Firs are popular in Europe and North America for use as Christmas trees. A common misconception is that the Douglas fir, which can reach a height of up to 120 metres, is a fir; it is however, a pseudotsuga.

Tangled was pretty good. It was like every disney princess movie, but they really perfected it.
Chinese food was awesome.

What's also awesome is picking up the guitar again after a week away from it. When nothing's happening, relaxing with a cold beer and my guitar is a pretty nice way of wasting time.

I love making a fire, but sometimes I get it goin too hot.... and its -6 C outside, while I'm sweating in a t-shirt and shorts inside!  B)

Got a pretty good sleep and woke up early, so I'm going to eat breakfast for the first time in 3 weeks.

Back