Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

Wasted CLV said:
I am wanting to re-install windows on it...
*faints*

If you can't see you drive when you boot with the Windows CD, you could do what LC has said or get a boot disk that will boot to DOS (you may need to put this on a bootable CD if you have no floppy). If you have the FDISK utility on this disk, run that and it will ready the disk for a FAT32 format.

He might have a good reason for it, Albie.

Get your claws on Windows 7 yet? I've been upsetting a lot of people by telling them that their XP is the worst OS out there today.

I have not yet got Windows 7 but I do intend to buy a new laptop within the next few months and try it out then. The main reason for stalling the purchase of a new laptop is to wait until they came with 7 as standard - until recently, it was an optional extra. I went to Ubuntu 9.10 recently (the day after it came out, to be precise) and it seems pretty good.

As for bootable disks, Wasted, try this link: http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm. I've used their images in the past. Alternatively, create a Ubuntu boot CD/USB Stick, boot from it and using their Disk Utility app, format the disk to FAT32 from that.

Thanks all for the help!!!  I had just loaded Ubuntu 9.10 on the lappy...  Mainly, I wanted a Windows computer for my son to play with-- he has some software for music mixing that is for Windows.  However, since I have Windows on the desktop, that would be good enough--- except that this problem has become a challenge that I want to figure out!!

Having said that, I may just stick with the Ubuntu on that one....  :blink:

It does, you can format a drive to almost anything.

Talking of formatting and Ubuntu, I have on my laptop an SD card permanently inserted - I use it to back up my stuff. When I was on Windows I used robocopy, now on Ubuntu I use rsync. The problem I had when I went to Ubuntu 9.10 is that it would not work if the SD card was FAT - it would throw up all sorts of errors. The solution was to format the SD card to Ext3, which I did and it works. The interesting thing was that I got this solution from a post in the Ubuntu forum that was years old and stated that rsync does not reliably copy files to FAT, but it worked so well on previous releases of Ubuntu. :huh:

Out of curiosity... anyone know what happend to that He Who Must Not Be Named dude who used to run this place?

[Edit] -Hey, why is it when I type "maverick" the name is automatically changed?

Because it makes me lol. Good ol' Mav.

For reference, Maverick never ran this place. He was, at best, an administrator who was hosted on the website. He's moved to his own website.

Hmm... for some reason I always thought the Iron Maiden Commentary website was his.
I once registered here years ago... remember him helping me with my account at the time.

The Commentary is his, only the webspace on which it was based wasn't.

But before he was at Maidenfans the site might have been his indeed, but that was really a long time ago. Time flies.

That was when it was hosted at Truemetal.org.
Have I ranted about WWII in HD yet? It's a documentary by the History Channel, featuring unknown footage of WWII...in HD. Narrated by Gary Sinise, with other actors like Rob Corddry, Ron Livingston, Steve Zahn, and more.

Extremely Americo-centric, but that doesn't stop the footage from being stunning.

Is it? I don't know. Americans still have the same potential among them. They just need someone to show it. Bush wasted a huge opportunity.

I guess I was thinking more along the lines of sacrifice.  People 'talk' a lot about it, but this generation has not had to give up anything like was given up during WWII.  I think there is spirit and strength still here, there is potential (as you say), but it hasn't been tested like that in decades.

Wasted CLV said:
I guess I was thinking more along the lines of sacrifice.  People 'talk' a lot about it, but this generation has not had to give up anything like was given up during WWII.  I think there is spirit and strength still here, there is potential (as you say), but it hasn't been tested like that in decades.

Isn't that the point, though... so that this generation wouldn't need to sacrifice anything?

[edited for grammar]

Sure, we've grown and been strengthened by what our ancestors have done for us.  But that is what I meant, originally, that it seemed foreign what Americans did during WWII.

Back