lets discuss some underrated tunes.

chaosapiant said:
Not sure if it's on this list or considered underrated, but Seventh Son is the best title track ever written as far as i'm concerned.  I'd love to hear that live again!

Totally agreed!!! Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son is Maiden's most awesome epic!!! Second to none!!! :edmetal:

A lot of the songs off of Fear of the Dark and No Prayer come to mind. Now, I still think those albums overall are a cut below the majority of Maiden's discography, but in particular:

Judas Be My Guide
Chains of Misery
Public Enema Number One (such an unfortunate song title ><)
and Bring Your Daughter when played live is actually a really kick-ass song.

I just can't accept anything from the golden era as being considered underrated, for obvious reasons, but I want to give the Blaze era some props too. Now that we have Bruce back and have had him back for a very long time, we're not going to lose any street cred (well, I know you guys are more die-hard than that, but whatever.) for admitting that the majority of the Blaze era is actually from at least decent into some cases of being amazing. Some songs work even better with Bruce (*coughLordoftheFliespleaseputitbackinyoursetcough*), but that isn't the case with all of them, some songs require Blaze's brooding gloomy voice.

As strange as it may sound, Bruce's version of Lord of the Flies is my absolute favorite track from Death on the Road.

For me, too. When it came in at the Pacaembu Stadium gig, I just couldn't believe! One of my all time fave Maiden songs sang by Bruce. Total highlight of that evening!!! :edmetal:

Jeffmetal said:
For me, too. When it came in at the Pacaembu Stadium gig, I just couldn't believe! One of my all time fave Maiden songs sang by Bruce. Total highlight of that evening!!! :edmetal:

Whenever I hear him singing "Saint and Sinners" in that higher octave, I get goosebumps.  I like Blaze a lot, but i'd LOVE to hear re-recordings of both Blaze albums with Adrian Smith, Bruce Dickinson, and Kevin Shirley.

I absolutely agree with you, only Paschendale was close for me in regards to Death on the Road, but I have to say there's something special about Blaze's The Clansman even though Bruce does a bang-up job on it.

Honestly, just give us one to two blaze songs on subsequent tours as long as they don't conflict with a theme, they're good for variety and there are some hidden gems in there!

chaosapiant said:
I like Blaze a lot, but i'd LOVE to hear re-recordings of both Blaze albums with Adrian Smith, Bruce Dickinson, and Kevin Shirley.

That's exactly what i thought when I first heard TXF... still do. How awesome would that be? I suppose it would be cheesy in some peoples eyes but I'd be all over it.

Hmm, I don't really know what's considered underrated (especially on this forum  :p) but a few that I like that aren't widely talked about amongst other Maiden fans I know in real life:

1. Fates Warning - lyrics seem really prophetic and relevant these days
2. Still Life - just love it
3. To Tame A Land - love when the bass picks up and the solo
4. The Thin Line Between Love And Hate - multiple great solos
5. That Girl - I don't know why I like it but I just do!

So many more I could add but there's a few.

All the nineties songs, apart from the ones Maiden played in this century:

Fear of the Dark
Sign of the Cross
The Clansman
Bring Your Daughter... ...To The Slaughter
Lord of the Flies

And to a lesser extent the ones Maiden played in 1999:
Man of the Edge
Futureal

Fucking underrated, we're never going to see nineties material anymore, besides Fear of the "let's play this song 'til death" Dark.

Great song, but it overshadows the rest.

Hasta la vista baby.

chaosapiant said:
Speaking of B sides....Kill Me Ce Soir is amazing!

Great Golden Earring cover; the original has a total The Doors vibe and it's great, too, but Maiden made a wonderful version.

The Unbeliever, Lightning Strikes Twice, The Aftermath, Out Of The Silent Planet, Purgatory and Lord Of Light, are one of the most underrated, IMO

mckindog said:
OK, add the alchemist to this list.
Give it listen people.

Are you talking about the one from the new album?  If so, it'd be hard to consider that underrated since legally it doesn't really exist yet.  And since it's short rocker type song, it'll probably be played live as well. 

I figure this thread is about giving people a nudge so they give a song that hadn't clicked for them yet another look.
Everybody on this board is talking TFF right now, but relatively few are talking The Alchemist.
It's not one of the album's best songs for me so far, but damn is it good.
Give it a listen.

Back