LEGACY OF THE BEAST WORLD TOUR 2022 - **CONTAINS SPOILERS**

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was there, and it was such a mistake to open up with the Senjutsu set. Never seen an audience so flat. It might work better in an arena setting, but definitely not in a festival set.
A mistake indeed. Exactly the same one in Zagreb, in an arena setting. Steve Harris and some 17 other people were singing along to Senjutsu in a sold out full house, 22,000 fans. They had us all by the time Blood Brothers kicked in, but still a pity for all the anticipation wasted on such a lousy start.

Mistake or not, I loved Senjutsu as opening track. I get the criticism, but I don't see where they'd put the Senjutsu realm if not at the beginning.

Given everything, I still think it's an ok compromise. :)

It's funny because I think literally everyone predicted Senjutsu would not work as an opener, at least not for LotB. For a while there was bit of delusion along the lines of "well, surely, but IESF..." but like, c'mon. That audience is fucking dead. It's a bold move but not a very smart one, unfortunately. They had to throw in Eddie in the first song just to create some sort of energy.

I really enjoy the show and band was great. But when I am looking at this leg of tour I dont see any point of this kind of set.

This reminds me of ME tour, long tour with almost the same set all the time.

For this leg I was hoping only for TWOTW of the new album and it would fit in religion set. I would drop war set and this war type encore because they are not Sabaton we can live without spitfire and swords. And then you have a opportunity for futuristic set and/or streets style set from early '90 with some great deep cuts just like first leg of this tour.

I agree they shouldn't have bothered with the Senjutsu world. Would have been much better just sticking WOTW & Stratego into the set somewhere and ditching the title track altogether.

I see why you'd think the drum into would make a great start to a gig, but it has to actually go somewhere. It's just too long, plodding and doesn't really do much of anything. The pace never picks up, the song never gets exciting. It just rambles on for 7 minutes and then ends.

Writing on the Wall and Stratego at least were released as singles so are more familiar to the crowd (WOTW particularly, 29 Million views between the two videos and audio version on YT, Stratego less successful but still about 5 million combined views)

Band sounds great for the most part (not a fan of the slowed down Aces High :lol: ). The Senjutsu realm looks really cheap though. That pagoda behind Nicko being blown away by the wind... :facepalm:

Edit: I know I wasn’t there and therefore could well be wrong, but it seems to me that the first couple of songs were received with a lot of apathy (Eddie’s appearance aside), but The Writing on the Wall would soon become a live favourite. :edmetal:
Writing on the Wall definitely got a much better reception than the first two songs with a good amount of audience participation.

Stratego seemed like a promising live song with a good singalong chorus and everything but somehow it's devoid of any urgency, technically a gallop but more like a lazy victory lap. Maybe later in the set, placed after something busier... Also insisting on Senjutsu world/realm seems unnecessary because a) there's an upcoming proper album tour and b) after dropping war theme for obvious reasons and with BB in centerplace of what was a religion realm (with FTGGOG and Wicker man) the world/realm concept is basically gone. Once the faux stained glass curtains are removed it's more or less a regular Maiden world until the end. Which is completely fine for most, I guess :bigsmile:

It's funny because I think literally everyone predicted Senjutsu would not work as an opener, at least not for LotB. For a while there was bit of delusion along the lines of "well, surely, but IESF..." but like, c'mon. That audience is fucking dead. It's a bold move but not a very smart one, unfortunately. They had to throw in Eddie in the first song just to create some sort of energy.
Keeping Hell on Earth for a proper album tour is another not very smart move. Most audiences won't be able to see it if album tour is to be much less extensive as it seems, and it's by far the most loved one off Senjutsu.

Band sounds great for the most part (not a fan of the slowed down Aces High :lol: ). The Senjutsu realm looks really cheap though. That pagoda behind Nicko being blown away by the wind... :facepalm:
It does. I thought it looked great on pictures, but it looks so simple and cheap. In particular outdoors.

And the band impress me. Watching some other bands like Guns N Roses, Priest, even Metallica.. I am amazed at how good Maiden still sound compared to others. Some songs are dragging a bit though..

I think its a bit like the Bon Jovi situation, no ones going tell Steve/ the rest that opening with Senjetsu is an atmosphere killer. Likewise no one in camp Bon Jovi seemingly wants to tell him to retire.

WTF?? To me, Senjutsu sounds great and works great as an opener. As I’ve said before, I think it’s the song that sounds the best in the set. When I go see Maiden in a week, I’m looking forward to the new songs the most. The “Steve situation” is perhaps problematic in some aspects, but them playing new songs instead of same old same old is just the right thing to do IMO.

I definitely agree with the above posts about the current way to open the show being very... well, Maiden.

I also understand and somewhat agree with the criticism around slowed down Aces High and how Senjutsu section of the show might not be the most bombastic and crowd pleasing way to open the concert. Especially if the person in question personally feels it doesn't work too well. That's fair enough - we all have our preferences when it comes to Maiden and other things and personally, I like when my views are challenged, as much as I also like to challenge others' and understand various ways of approach.

But speaking from just personal gut feeling and experience...

I used to be more... ehm, worried and generally caring about these things earlier. After the first night of the 2018 tour, I was amazed by the set, but also worried that For the Greater Good of God will become a bit too popular toilet break song, which I suppose it did, in the end. I used to get somewhat annoyed when some more casual fans complained about several album tours having such a heavy focus on the new stuff and whatever. I used to take it too personally when people came up with dumb "bRucE haZ loSt hIS vOIcE" etc. shit when the mix and PA were quite shit on their 2016 show in Finland - higher notes were quite inaudible and such.

Not the very best examples, really, but my point being that I've always cared too much what others think of things. I still have some bad knack for it, but I've learnt some healthy ignorance.

So, I totally get the problems people might have with the current set and yes, Senjutsu doesn't exactly make people go quite as crazy as I hoped (usually one or two first rows signing along or whatever), but I absolutely loved it and was too busy rocking out with all the new songs that I really didn't notice how well or not-so-well they were received around me, aside from The Writing on the Wall, which has already become a huge live favourite and that was notable on the arena show I attended as well.

Right I'm getting to that emotional blathering again, hah.

Don't know, I just don't see the opening track being that big of an issue. It sure isn't Aces High, The Wicker Man or Moonchild and maybe not quite If Eternity Should Fail either, but their performance is quite an intense and focused one, so I don't really see it being that bad in any way.I mean, it'd be a lot more awkward if it was more of a sing-along kind of a track which nobody sings along with. But as it is, I think it's good and hopefully the live versions makes some fans who didn't like the album (which is fine, of course!) appreciate it a little bit more. :) That happens sometimes.

...I kind of lost my initial point. I guess it was something about not caring at the slightest whether Senjutsu pleases casual festival goers or not as long as I personally enjoy the performance and they keep it as tight as they have so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back