Legacy of the Beast Tour 2018 - CONTAINS SPOILERS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds funny, ha ha, how we laughed... but actually I never hold my phone over head high (I was holding it by the side of my face and slanting it up) out of courtesy, nor do I film the whole gig. I would never keep my arms up that high and block other people's views like that. Not just because I'm polite but also because I want to leave the venue with the same number of teeth as I had when I arrived.

I usually take a few pictures to show friends & work mates "to prove I was there" (or how far forward I managed to get) but I've never tried to film, preferring to focus on the show while it's actually happening. I'm always grateful that some other folk do like to film, though: I get to fully appreciate the show while it's happening and watch it again later.

Last edited:
I try to take videos of the rarities I like (not in ways disturbing other people). Later on, I (& my friends who participate) recall them quite often. In this show, I took FOI, FTGGOG and SOC in their entirety.

It is not like listening to somebody else's recording, as it contains my own perspective of the show (I have an idea of how I want to record, where I want to zoom, how I should hold mics, where to shout at the mic and where to shut up, and so on :p).

I understand why fans like to take photos or videos however I go to a concert to enjoy the band and the music. What did people do before there were no mobile phones or tablets? They enjoyed the show and gave the band their full attention.
I personally think it's getting to the stage when artists are going to ask for a blanket ban on mobile devices recording at gigs as it does affect the atmosphere or ambience of a show.
It's must be dishearting for bands to look out at the crowd and see a plethora of mobile phones lights pointing at them.
It's not very heavy metal is it.
Just have a few beers, have a laugh with your mates, enjoy the show and put your mobile phones away.

I personally think it's getting to the stage when artists are going to ask for a blanket ban on mobile devices recording at gigs

Some do, Jack White for one. I don't really like that personally, I think it's entirely possible to take a few photos or videos without being disruptive. I try to.

But, then there are people who are very disruptive. Last gig I went to the woman in front of me was video chatting with somebody for a good portion of the show. The person on the other end must have seen and heard fuck all, I couldn't understand it.

When I went to see Maiden in St Louis last year, I was on Discord on my mobile so my friend who couldn't make it could at least hear it, it wasn't out and was sitting in my breast pocket. I think something like that be it a call or recording is fine, but having your arms all the way in the air with your phone out is.... no

Sound is usually worse there too, better at the booth.

I was down the front by Dave & Adrian and it sounded fine.

Some do, Jack White for one. I don't really like that personally, I think it's entirely possible to take a few photos or videos without being disruptive. I try to.

But, then there are people who are very disruptive. Last gig I went to the woman in front of me was video chatting with somebody for a good portion of the show. The person on the other end must have seen and heard fuck all, I couldn't understand it.

If you go and see Marillion, the stage manager makes a point of telling people to keep the photos to a minimum out of respect to the band, and it always bloody works. You barely see an iPhone in front of you all evening.

When Steve is right in front of you and machine-guns you with his bass wouldn't you want to record that for yourself to remember it? But at the same time I'm sure the band aren't dead keen on mobile phones -especially when Bruce falling over is all over you tube. I agree that worrying about filming does detract somewhat from the experience but at the same time the gig just flies past and the memory of it fades so quickly that having some video of it is really nice. Every gig is slightly different - Bruce's birthday made the Birmingham show unique - strangely, I always enjoy the cock-ups for instance, because it makes the gig different and somehow more memorable. There was a terrible mess-up in the Birmingham BOS show and it was really funny watching Steve look at one of the others (can't remember which) with an expression on his face as though he had swallowed something nasty (but clearly finding it funny too). It's a memory, and having it on film to watch again occasionally would have been great. By the way, the Matter Of Life and Death Birmingham show also had a big cock-up when Nicko fluffed an intro and Adrian looked at him as if to say "What the hell was that?" I can see both sides of the mobile phone issue.

But at the same time I'm sure the band aren't dead keen on mobile phones -especially when Bruce falling over is all over you tube.

The reason why the band might not be very happy with the phone recordings is not the awkward moments that could occur, but I believe they would prefer for the public to enjoy the show and be more receptive with the vibe of the songs.

When Steve is right in front of you and machine-guns you with his bass wouldn't you want to record that for yourself to remember it? But at the same time I'm sure the band aren't dead keen on mobile phones -especially when Bruce falling over is all over you tube. I agree that worrying about filming does detract somewhat from the experience but at the same time the gig just flies past and the memory of it fades so quickly that having some video of it is really nice. Every gig is slightly different - Bruce's birthday made the Birmingham show unique - strangely, I always enjoy the cock-ups for instance, because it makes the gig different and somehow more memorable. There was a terrible mess-up in the Birmingham BOS show and it was really funny watching Steve look at one of the others (can't remember which) with an expression on his face as though he had swallowed something nasty (but clearly finding it funny too). It's a memory, and having it on film to watch again occasionally would have been great. By the way, the Matter Of Life and Death Birmingham show also had a big cock-up when Nicko fluffed an intro and Adrian looked at him as if to say "What the hell was that?" I can see both sides of the mobile phone issue.

Hell no. Especially at the barrier. I much rather air-drum than wield my phone in their faces and also obstruct other people's view. And there is also that Czech guy, Crusaders, who was both in Helsinki and Zagreb and recorded the videos. I also have the photos of me on the barrier from both Zagreb and Helsinki.

When Steve is right in front of you and machine-guns you with his bass wouldn't you want to record that for yourself to remember it?

This attitude has made me witness entire gigs through other people's cellphone screens so that there is nothing for me to remember. Thanks a lot.

Hell no. Especially at the barrier. I much rather air-drum than wield my phone in their faces and also obstruct other people's view. And there is also that Czech guy, Crusaders, who was both in Helsinki and Zagreb and recorded the videos. I also have the photos of me on the barrier from both Zagreb and Helsinki.
I didn't 'wield my phone in their faces' and it was such a crush that most of the time I couldn't even get my arms in the air. And as I said, I didn't obstruct anyone's view with my phone as it never was higher than my head and I wasn't watching it, merely holding to the side of my chin. I also said I could see both sides.

The problem is probably that not everyone is doing it this well. Forbidding it for all can be seen as a solution, but also as excessive, exaggerated (and somewhat paranoia) punishment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back