Legacy of the Beast Tour 2018 - CONTAINS SPOILERS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of the Birmingham gig now, am absolutely shattered! The band performed absolutely flawlessly, the crowds were on fire, even to the dreaded FTGGOG, I was right at the front, although I do wish I'd moved back because the sound wasn't brilliant at the front in all honesty, but it was an incredible gig full of energy and is absolutely Maiden at their best
I was third person from the front bang in the centre of the stage and the sound was dreadful. At first I thought that Killswitch had blown my hearing but then I realised that I could hear Bruce talking very clearly. The guitars were distorted to hell and the videos from the concert taken from way back have better sound quality than I heard. I queued for many hours to get that close and endured the usual crushing and being soaked in sweat, dehydrated and barely being to stand up half-way through the set, having a guy filming in front of me so that all I could see was the back of his arm (which completely ruined my own filming), but now I feel as though I should have been seated - I actually bought a seated ticket but then more were released so I swallowed the loss of money and bought a standing one to be right at the front. Better atmosphere, close-up views but is it really worth it?

I was third person from the front bang in the centre of the stage and the sound was dreadful. At first I thought that Killswitch had blown my hearing but then I realised that I could hear Bruce talking very clearly. The guitars were distorted to hell and the videos from the concert taken from way back have better sound quality than I heard. I queued for many hours to get that close and endured the usual crushing and being soaked in sweat, dehydrated and barely being to stand up half-way through the set, having a guy filming in front of me so that all I could see was the back of his arm (which completely ruined my own filming), but now I feel as though I should have been seated - I actually bought a seated ticket but then more were released so I swallowed the loss of money and bought a standing one to be right at the front. Better atmosphere, close-up views but is it really worth it?
I must have been about 3 rows right behind you, at least at the point where there were rows. The sound does seem a bit better further back, but it was still better than last tour I'd say. I could put up with the crush and sweat, so long as i got to jump during TETMD

Has John McCoy got a bone to pick with Janick (who certainly hasn't got much to do with Gillan's management issues)?
I'll let Janick tell the story himself - he thinks it took place at the Reading Festival:
I tried to cram the guitar up his (John McCoy) bottom but I caught him in the bollocks! After the gig he is chasing me around the dressing room and I am like "What is the matter John?" He was yelling at me "I'll fucking kill you!" "Sorry John, I didn't know it was your bollocks!" (Laughs) Ah that does bring back memories.
http://www.metal-rules.com/interviews/JanickGers.htm
:lol:

That sounds incredibly wrong.
Perhaps I didn't phrase that right...but it was pretty painful at times I have to say. Also, there was a girl with black hair at the front who looked a lot like Steve's daughter. Adrian and Steve both paid her a lot of attention at times. Could it have been her?

Credit to the bloke down the front with super long hair flying everywhere for having some decent shampoo on, really validated my decision for a standing ticket
Surely everyone knows that being at the front isn't exactly comfortable. I don't think that is up for debate.

Sound is usually worse there too, better at the booth.
I can put up with the physical stuff and the queuing for hours but the bad sound really spoilt it. Funnily enough, the sound was so much better in Birmingham (TBOSouls) last time around when I was just a few rows further back.

I'd be interested to know how sound genuinely compares for different bands. I don't think I've ever stood/sat in more or less the same position at any particular venue for both Maiden and another band. Hence I've got the impression that Maiden's sound at Leeds was awful last year, but Slash's sound at the same venue was excellent. But then I was in the gods for the Maiden show and a few rows from barrier for Slash's show. I thought Maiden's sound at Newcastle was pretty good, but then I don't have any other show at that venue compare it to.

If you are in the front rows, you hear the sound mostly from the backline and the monitors. Not from the PA. Best sound is of course near the mixing desk.

I get the impression Maiden is good nearer the front, but a cacophony of something or other the further back you get

If you are in the front rows, you hear the sound mostly from the backline and the monitors. Not from the PA. Best sound is of course near the mixing desk.
exactly. If you want to listen to a show at its best, never stay so close to the stage. First, the voices of the people next to you will be more likely to suppress the sound of the band, as the sound will reach you from behind.

Second, the sound is always planned to be at its best somewhere on the centre of the hall, which is where the mixing desk is placed.

I think you're focusing too much on imaginary lines here. People in Cornwall have to travel further than people in Cardiff despite being in England. A journey from Inverness to Glasgow is more ardorous than Bangor to Manchester. Also bear in mind that in Britain we're in a privileged position of being a small, densely populated country so and don't have to travel all that far when there's a reasonable number of tour dates. If you think the GWR train to London is implausible then imagine living in Canada.

You have no way of knowing this. Perhaps the venue was only available in June, which wouldn't fit their overall plan. Perhaps it was available two weeks after the end of the tour. Perhaps a trip to Cardiff didn't fit in logistically with other dates.

I actually agree with all your points, but still feel peeved that they missed Wales (like a lot of other bands) on (this) UK tour. It's called the United Kingdom for a reason (4 nations united) so to miss (any) nation doesn't sit right with me if it is a UK tour.

I don't think it would be right for fans to have to get on the GWR from London to Wales either (if there was no London show but the closest was Wales - hypothetically speaking)

I guess we can agree to differ on the idea of a UK tour having a gig in each nation ;)

exactly. If you want to listen to a show at its best, never stay so close to the stage. First, the voices of the people next to you will be more likely to suppress the sound of the band, as the sound will reach you from behind.
Further down the back, people talk more often to each other. Most annoyingly when it happens in front of your nose, bending towards each other, not caring for the gig. More talk, more annoyance by their sound and appearance. You also hear their voices better when further from the stage.

Further down the back, people talk more often to each other. Most annoyingly when it happens in front of your nose, bending towards each other, not caring for the gig. More talk, more annoyance by their sound and appearance. You also hear their voices better when further from the stage.
the reason I note it down is that the volume of the band decreases, or the focal point of the sound is less clear when one gets closer to the stage. Even though people shout/talk etc. as much or even more in the centre of the hall, it is easier to listen to the sound of the band. This is something I always experience with the amateur recordings too: the closer the recorder is to the stage, the more difficult it is to hear Bruce.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back