Legacy of the Beast Tour 2018 - CONTAINS SPOILERS

Status
Not open for further replies.
So anyways...

...this new (non-proshot) multi-cam video of the Stockholm show on THE LEGACY OF THE BEAST TOUR 2018 is pretty sweet. Figured this would be a good thread to talk about it.

This is a fantastic video. Whoever put this together should do the official tour dvd - best editing of a live Maiden gig since Live After Death.

They are my two favorite bands. You would think I would be all about this, but I'm not. I would prefer to see them headline their own tours. I will be seeing a "co-headline" tour with Deep Purple and Priest in September. I'm not sure if they are rotating who opens first...I would rather it be Priest playing last. I am worried Priest (and Purple, for that matter) will be playing a shorter set than usual because of this.

I to am seeing Priest in Sept. as well and will be annoyed if Deep Purple goes last. I saw Deep Purple last summer with Alice Cooper as the opener and Deep Purple was absolutely horrible. Their set was completely void of any energy and it seemed they were just going through the motions. Cooper on the other hand was a real treat. Running around like a mad man and putting on a stage show worth the money. Cooper should have been the headliner.

Yea, as awesome as it is to see two bands each doing a headliner spot it sucks when they play reduced sets. I saw Stone Sour coheadline with Halestorm and both bands only played 14 songs total and they dont have long songs like Maiden does...

Back to home from the concert (Firenze Rocks).

In a nutshell, it was unbelievable: their performance was magical. Here and there, I followed all the videos on this tour, and I believe what Maiden did today was one of the best representations of them.

Now I will sleep with the best melodies in my mind.

FYI, I posted some very short highlights for you. Let me know if you prefer to listen to more of them (in higher resolution): https://www.instagram.com/p/BkG0Hc3gOG1/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=23em1y1fh93t

On a side note: DON'T miss this setlist.

Last edited:
Is that even possible? Swede here, Priest played the hockey arena in my hometown (10 000 capacity/60 000 population) and sold about 4000 tickets, while Maiden would only ever play the big cities (Stockholm/Gothenburg) in stadiums like Friends Arena (65 000), Tele 2 Arena (40 000) or Ullevi (75 000). How they could co-headline anywhere in the world is insane to me.
If they co-headlined here in NA and played the usual 15,000 seat arenas, that would work out good. They could raise the ticket prices a bit so both bands could still get paid well.

New (short) interview with Nicko about the setlist, where he talks about the tempo of Icarus/Sign of the Cross, and also mentions "the controversy" surrounding Hallowed (first time I think anyone in the band has touched on this in an interview, albeit very briefly)

He said "Con-trov-ersy" and not "Con-tro-versy". :)

I’m coming back home (in a couple hours) after the Firenze show. Wow, just wow. I didn’t really manage to stay spoiler-free since I saw Aces High and the Clansman from YouTube recommandations and the art of the t-shirt I bought was a very strong hint for FOI and Revelations.
However, that was definitely not a problem. The setlist was very good, even though I’m a great fan of the reunion era. I didn’t really see the story they were supposedly going for though, it definitely sounded like an excuse to not talk much to the public and just play the songs they wanted (not that I have any problem with it).
About the performance itself… every single song was amazing, and the scenery that went with them was very cool. Bruce’s “wings” are just genius. Although it’s hard to judge properly from the crowd, I think Bruce sounded very good too. The only song he really struggled with was Hallowed, but you couldn’t ask for much more and the crowd clearly loved it anyway. Even Run to the Hills sounded good, despite being the encore closer.
About the festival, there was more moshing than I expected there to be. I’d never been to a festival like this before though, so maybe it was just me. Since I’m a young guy I didn’t really have too many problems and I had some fun too, but there were women and children (at least at the start). Some guys definitely took it too far, since they seemed to care more about pushing people than the performance itself. The upside of it is that I managed to reach a better position and look at the stage well, not just the screen.
Anyway, definitely a day to remember. I wish I could go to Milano too to have a different experience, but I have exams, which sucks.

That is a picture from Firenze Rocks - it seems that Janick wears a different T-shirt (no more AH, which he used on the SBIT tour too): Tailgunner artwork ? :confused:

146(30).jpg

EDIT: Janick also wore a Tailgunner T-shirt in the 90's:

etjrtjjerjer.jpg

Last edited:
Though not new as in 'written for the occasion', neither "Killers" (for a different set of lyrics) nor "Purgatory" (then called "Floating" and which I can't find on any pre-1981 bootleg) had been played in their definitive form before the album was released.

From a Steve interview in 2005 about the Killers album:

"We wanted Adrian from the start, but he wasn't ready to leave his band Urchin. So it was great when he finally joined, because we got the man we always wanted. Most of the stuff from the first two albums was written before we were signed. There were only a few completely new songs, such as 'Murders in the Rue Morgue,' 'Killers,' 'Prodigal Son,' and 'Twilight Zone.' All the rest of the songs had been the mainstay of our set for years, so there wasn't much pressure with the material. But meeting Martin Birch for the first time was kind of nervy, because he was this big, respected producer. But, obviously, we got on great with him, because it turned into a fantastic working relationship that lasted many years.

We all know about MITRM and Prodigal Son, but Twilight Zone... :confused: Probably the title track is pointed by him, because it has a different lyrics for the album version.
(Genghis Khan which was pointed by @Magnus - I dunno.)

I’d never been to a festival like this before though, so maybe it was just me. Since I’m a young guy I didn’t really have too many problems and I had some fun too, but there were women and children (at least at the start). Some guys definitely took it too far, since they seemed to care more about pushing people than the performance itself. The upside of it is that I managed to reach a better position and look at the stage well, not just the screen.
That's my experience as well. We just found our safe space, but clearly, some were there just to disturb people. I guess it has something to do with not the Maiden fans there, but the party guys that just go to any festival with no desire to actually listen to anything. They were there one day before, for Guns n Roses too.

Listen with Nicko! part III: part of Maiden's live show in 1976-77, as Floating (and slower). So perhaps you might say that Purgatory, in its Killers incarnation, wasn't played live before the album was released, but an earlier version was for sure.
Same source for Genghis being new btw.

Listen with Nicko! part III: part of Maiden's live show in 1976-77, as Floating (and slower). So perhaps you might say that Purgatory, in its Killers incarnation, wasn't played live before the album was released, but an earlier version was for sure.
Same source for Genghis being new btw.
I didn't remember that, thanks. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back