Legacy of the Beast Tour 2018 - CONTAINS SPOILERS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well. You can count any way really, but they're still clapping as if they were playing a 4/4. Audience is clapping a 4/4 beat. If you put the riff in a 4/4 notation with quarter notes and eight notes - they clap on 1 and 3 of each bar. Like @matic22 were saying, it shifts the accent each time and you get a 6-bar riff instead of a more regular 8 bars.
Wtf are you always talking about 4/4? There‘s other time signatures you know! Just put the riff in 3/4 notation, because 4/4 is wrong! And then, below, in a new staff, try to notate the claps of the audience. What you‘re gonna see is a superimposed 3/2, resolving every second bar of 3/4. Just basic math.

I will never thank Maiden enough for introducing me to Ghost in 2014. Seeing them with Anthrax was also really cool. Unfortunately all the other times I saw them the supporting bands were really bad and annoying.
Trying to recall the bands I saw open for Maiden:

World Piece Tour - Quiet Riot
Powerslave Tour - Twisted Sister
Somewhere on Tour - Yngwie Malmsteen
Seventh Tour - Ace Frehley
No Prayer - Would have been Anthrax but that show was cancelled :(
Fear of the Dark - can't remember...
X Factour - Fear Factory
Maiden England - Alice Cooper
TBOS (Ft. Lauderdale) - The Raven Age (missed them completely)
TBOS (Charlotte) - Ghost (going to see Ghost this November)

Not a bad list.

Last edited:

X Factour - Fear Factory

Not a bad list.

You saw them on X Factour? I am envious... (and for the fact that you will see Ghost in November)

X Factour - Fear Factory

Not a bad list.

In my case:

The X Factour - Dirty Deeds and Helloween
Virtual XI tour - Helloween (they were miles better than Maiden)
Ed Hunter tour - Megadeth
BNW tour - Spiritual Beggars and Entombed
GMETID tour - Stray (1 gig) and Murderdolls (1 gig)
DOD tour - Gamma Ray
The Early Days tour - festival
AMOLAD tour - Lauren Harris and Trivium
AMOTB tour - festival
SBIT tour - 1 festival and then 3 gigs with Lauren Harris and Avenged Sevenfold
TFF tour 2010 - 2 festivals and then Edguy
TFF 2011 - Airbourne and Dragonforce
Maiden England 2013 - 1 festival and also gigs with Voodoo Six and Anthrax
Maiden England 2014 - festival
TBOS 2016 - festival
TBOS 2017 - Shinedown

Not a bad list either.

Just how many of you guys here saw them on the X Factour? I thought that was rare. And Helloween as an opener sounds amazing.

Just how many of you guys here saw them on the X Factour? I thought that was rare. And Helloween as an opener sounds amazing.

I saw Maiden live for the first time in 1996 with 4000 metalheads in a field. I have fond memories of that gig and remember having a great time (having had a coach accident on the way to the gig and it being my first Maiden show probably made me appreciate it even more). Blaze's performance of the old classics was adequate and the new material sounded good live. The stage set was pretty basic (I remember thinking that it made the one they used during the No Prayer on the Road - of which I had seen many pictures by then - look lavish in comparison!), but I had a great time. It was clearly different to the live videos I had seen of them, but I could not identify exactly what the issues were with all the excitement of the gig. I started collecting bootlegs and realised that the guitar work was less precise than in the 80s and that Blaze could not do justice to most of the old songs they were playing live.

By the time Maiden announced they were going to release a new album in 1998, I had seen Bruce Dickinson live (in 1997, with Adrian Smith live with Roy Z, Eddie Casillas, and Dave Ingraham on the Accident of Birth tour). I had followed him since 1994 and thoroughly enjoyed his solo albums, but seeing him live with Adrian made the penny drop. Wouldn't it be great if they could both be in Maiden again? Nah, I felt that was never going to happen, as Maiden had a new album in the can.

I can clearly remember the disappointment with Virtual XI. I had watched the video for The Angel and the Gambler and felt the song was somewhat weak, but hoped the album would be much better. I went to the record shop to buy the album on the day of release and they had it on. Boy, was I disappointed! I did not like it at all with the exception of The Clansman and Futureal, to the point that I went back home without having bought the album. I rectified this the following day and I tried hard to get into the music without success, although there were good bits in some of the other songs. Weak songwriting, terrible production... Blaze's vocals did not contribute to improve things, but he was hardly the main culprit.

The live show I saw on the Virtual XI tour was OK (it was Maiden and even when they have an off night they are better than most), but left feeling that it might be my last exposure to Maiden (by then I had enough bootlegs to know that things were not likely to get much better). Blaze was completely out of his depth, air drumming and all, making hapless attempts at singing the old songs. The fact the band were playing too fast and did not make any adjustments to fit his vocal range did not help him an iota though, so I kind of felt sorry for him. I felt that Helloween were miles better.

X Factour - Fear Factory

Not a bad list.

My neighbor saw Fastway and Saxon open for Maiden on the World Piece Tour at Long Beach Arena.
Back then different bands opened during the same leg.

He also saw Maiden open for Judas Priest twice on the Point of Entry Tour and Screaming for Vengeance Tour at the Capital Centre in Landover, MD.
Lucky bastard lol

My neighbor saw Fastway and Saxon open for Maiden on the World Piece Tour at Long Beach Arena.
Back then different bands opened during the same leg.

He also saw Maiden open for Judas Priest twice on the Point of Entry Tour and Screaming for Vengeance Tour at the Capital Centre in Landover, MD.
Lucky bastard lol
My first Maiden show was them opening for Whitesnake and Priest on the Point of Entry Tour, what a night!

In my case:

The X Factour - Dirty Deeds and Helloween
Virtual XI tour - Helloween (they were miles better than Maiden)
Ed Hunter tour - Megadeth
BNW tour - Spiritual Beggars and Entombed
GMETID tour - Stray (1 gig) and Murderdolls (1 gig)
DOD tour - Gamma Ray
The Early Days tour - festival
AMOLAD tour - Lauren Harris and Trivium
AMOTB tour - festival
SBIT tour - 1 festival and then 3 gigs with Lauren Harris and Avenged Sevenfold
TFF tour 2010 - 2 festivals and then Edguy
TFF 2011 - Airbourne and Dragonforce
Maiden England 2013 - 1 festival and also gigs with Voodoo Six and Anthrax
Maiden England 2014 - festival
TBOS 2016 - festival
TBOS 2017 - Shinedown

Not a bad list either.
Not at all, Ghost. I wish I could have seen all those tours from Ed Hunter through TFF, except it seems Maiden forgot the Southeastern U.S. existed from 1996 - 2012.

Adrian Smith can't be set on fire... Unless he desires so.

Adrian Smith can start fires with his guitar playing ... and extinguish them.
Adrian Smith's got the fire.
Adrian Smith once went on a quest for fire, along with his companion Dave Murray. Together they played awesome guitar.
Adrian Smith uses fireflies for fishing.
Adrian Smith could fire Donald Trump.

Bands I've seen open for Maiden:

2006: Trivium :yawn:
2007: festival
2010: festival
2011: Airbourne
2013: festival, Voodoo Six (missed them)
2014: festival
2016: festival, Ghost/The Raven Age
2017: Shinedown
2018: Killswitch Engage

Not a great list. The highlight is Killswitch Engage.

Bands I've seen open for Maiden:

2006: Trivium :yawn:
2007: festival
2010: festival
2011: Airbourne
2013: festival, Voodoo Six (missed them)
2014: festival
2016: festival, Ghost/The Raven Age
2017: Shinedown
2018: Killswitch Engage

Not a great list. The highlight is Killswitch Engage.

Let's see.
Bergen 2006:Trivium. I see your :yawn: and raise you one.
Trondheim 2008: Lauren/A7X
Bergen 2010: Dark Tranquility
Oslo 2011: Alice Cooper
Stockholm 2013: Sabaton
Nijmegen 2014: Festival, main stage had Alter Bridge, Sabaton, and Slayer before Maiden.
Oslo 2016: Ghost/Raven Age
London 2017: Shinedown
Copenhagen 2018: Killswitch Engage

Out of all the above I definitely enjoyed Sabaton and Dark Tranquility the most. Alice Cooper was good fun too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back