LEGACY OF THE BEAST 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's up guys? My name is Eduardo and i'm from Brazil. Iron Maiden will be here at Rock in Rio on October 4th. I bought the ticket but unfortunately I won't be going because of some personal issues. I would like to sell my only ticket to whoever is interested in the show. Iron Maiden, Halloween, Sepultura and Scorpions will be performing on this day. Please contact me if you're interested.

Here's the link if you need any info:

Thanks for reading.

On the topic of downtuning/adjustments: From what I understand Maiden hasn't downtuned to adjust for Bruce's vocals, if thats the case it means that Bruce really is one of the metal gods. However for the sake of him preforming for the coming years as his voice does begin to deteriorate with older age it may be time to begin to downtune a little to allow for stronger performances even if he can manage the original key at times. Although I'm super happy to hear he is improving on the current tour as I get to see Maiden for the first time in a couple weeks.

I was at the first Brooklyn show, and Bruce was struggling and didn't sound good at all. It was shocking because last year I found his performance amazing and powerful. I got the strong impression he was unwell or something. Lucky me I could buy a last moment ticket for Quebec City and to my huge surprise Bruce was totally on top, great performance and singing.

Last edited:
ITT : people who do not understand impact of downtuning on music

ITT: people who had to google ITT.

Also, you guys are filling me with anxiety. With the gushing over how great they sounded on the first leg, I couldn’t wait. Then I got a bit bummed to hear Bruce didn’t sound too great early on for this leg. ‘Illness, it will clear up by the time I see them’ I told myself. Then came reports of improvement. ‘Thank goodness’ I say.

Now more ‘didn’t sound so good’ reports coming in.

With this Saturday at Pittsburgh coming up- I’m left to wonder how it will go.

When I last seen them in the BoS tour in Detroit I was disappointed, something was ‘off’ with the mix. I left thinking ‘not their best’.

Also, you guys are filling me with anxiety. With the gushing over how great they sounded on the first leg, I couldn’t wait. Then I got a bit bummed to hear Bruce didn’t sound too great early on for this leg. ‘Illness, it will clear up by the time I see them’ I told myself. Then came reports of improvement. ‘Thank goodness’ I say.

When I last seen them in the BoS tour in Detroit I was disappointed, something was ‘off’ with the mix. I left thinking ‘not their best’.

He sounded pretty good in Buffalo yesterday, at least judging by the full show YouTube link I posted in the new album thread. I think you will not be disappointed.

Edit: This review is a good indication of what you will get:

Last edited:

He was excellent in Quebec City, so I think you shouldn't worry too much.

I don't think anyone should worry. Based on the videos I've seen, Bruce is still doing better than most metal singers on tour and especially better than those his age. He appears to have gotten over whatever illness he had at the start of the tour (which did seem rather apparent in those early US videos).

I just think all of the people vehemently opposed to tuning changes because they "drastically change the sound" are just being silly. And yes, I'm including Steve Harris in that lot.

And yes, I'm including Steve Harris in that lot.

Source for this?

As far as I'm aware any talk of Maiden and tuning down has come from BALZE, as an excuse for his poor singing and that has only been in recent years, I can never remember any talk of it when he was in the band. I suspect he invented the whole thing about trying to get Maiden to tune down but they wouldn't.

As for Maiden tuning down, they have tuned down on If Eternity Should Fail, and as far as I know Mother of Mercy, so Steve can't be that opposed. Bruce said something about the drop d tuning causing gnashing of teeth for the guitarists so I suspect Dave and Janick to be the problem, Janick has definitely voiced his opposition to a "grungey" sound.

Source for this?

As far as I'm aware any talk of Maiden and tuning down has come from BALZE, as an excuse for his poor singing and that has only been in recent years, I can never remember any talk of it when he was in the band. I suspect he invented the whole thing about trying to get Maiden to tune down but they wouldn't.

As for Maiden tuning down, they have tuned down on If Eternity Should Fail, and as far as I know Mother of Mercy, so Steve can't be that opposed. Bruce said something about the drop d tuning causing gnashing of teeth for the guitarists so I suspect Dave and Janick to be the problem, Janick has definitely voiced his opposition to a "grungey" sound.

Blaze’s poor singing came from the fact that the band hired a low tenor/high baritone to fill in for the highest of tenors. He would’ve sounded fine on those songs if they were a key lower.

Y’all don’t think Steve Harris, Mr. “The Mel-Oh-Dee-Goes-Ex-Act-Ly-Like-Thiiiiiiis” would take contention to changing tunings? “The melody isn’t in C#, it’s in D, boys!”

Also, using alternate or dropped tunings to write/record a brand new song is very different from key modulation on previously released songs.

Dropped D doesn't constitute "downtuning" per se though, it just gives you one more downward tone on the low E string. It's a fairly common alternate tuning.

Adrian is a big fan of alternate tunings, at least he was during his first stint with Maiden.
Also, using alternate or dropped tunings to write/record a brand new song is very different from key modulation on previously released songs.
Quite. Transposing into different keys doesn't need to involve any retuning at all actually. You play the same chords or intervals, just in a different key.

Source for this?

Harsh words. That being said, when Blaze was faced during a recent interview with Rock Candy (conducted by Malcolm Dome) with a quote from 1999 from Nicko about him being overburnt by the old material live, his reply was that he had no problems with any of the old songs he did live with Maiden!

I find some of these comments a bit harsh on Bruce. Their tours are very high tempo--travelling every other day, if not everyday, and singing and sweating for 2 hours everyday. Last summer, Bruce was so powerful as he was fit enough, but this year he may not have started well, which is not necessarily related to his age. He does not lose his vocal capacity on a linear scale.

I suppose we all know how it is to feel unwell when you travel too often. Bruce is careful with the stability of his health, which is why his voice also aged well in the long run, but he is also a human being. I do not think he needs any revision. There is no incompatibility between the structure of the songs and the capacity of Bruce.

Even the allegedly poor recent performances of him are quite good. He nails it 95% of the time. Those who wait for a following concert should not be anxious at all.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back