LEGACY OF THE BEAST 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I beg to differ. Tuning down changes how the songs sound significantly, which is one of the reasons why Maiden don't do it. Even with all the downtuning Dio sounded - in my humble opinion - too rough from Holy Diver live onwards.

I suspect most people who want it downtuned don't really care about how Bruce sounds they just want it to sound teh heavy!!!11 #crushedbeercans #brodude

... aaaand some bands tune down half step more every 2-3 years, while pretending that the lead singer still has an ounce of voice left (I'm looking at you mr. Coverdale and Whitesnake). I think they are in C or C# standard now, which is basically half or one step from baritone tuning :D .

And yeah, Coverdale still sounds like shite.

I'm so grateful for Bruce.

Last edited:
Bruce would probably still nail almost everything they play if they compensated for his aging (and thus lowering) voice by playing half a step down. Even Dio did that and he sounded absolutely sublime even in his last years as a result. Being a proper singer I think necessitates recognition of the realities of the human body so it's a shame Bruce is essentially fighting himself on some of the more demanding songs in the setlist.

I understand why he doesn't want to do it, but I also just kind of wish he'd realize he could project a lot more power if the highs on some of the songs were just a bit lower. And personally, listening to stuff like Icarus from last year, I think that's the one sore spot in Bruce's performance: a lack of a proper full voice on the higher notes, which he used to have.
Your post nailed It 100%

Checking in from the BB&T Center in Ft. Lauderdale. I hope Nicko was just fucking around and the setlist is not the same...
Also, fuck The Raven’s Age!

Well, knowing Bruce and the tough buggar he is, I think that he would feel defeated if Maiden needed to tune down because of his vocals and wouldn't approve.

Also Maiden are very melodic and not all songs would work as well tuned down, so if they ever do it, I hope they only do it on the "problematic" songs, not full set.

All that said, I think tunning down is not happening anytime soon, since Bruce is singing better now than in 2014 and even 2016/2017. Judging him on the basis FOI is a bit unfair IMO, since the last pro-recording of him singing that song is at the beginning of his vocal peak in 1997. Also, there is no backing vocals to hide behind this time around. Songs like Trooper and Aces High are better comparisons, since he sung them in 2010's.

I suspect most people who want it downtuned don't really care about how Bruce sounds they just want it to sound teh heavy!!!11 #crushedbeercans #brodude
Might be the case or not... as Pieceofmind89 said maiden's sound is built a lot into harmony so it would be a bit strange but he gave excellent examples: Sabbath and Priest during the Ripper era downtuned it and it sounded absolutely breath taking. It totaly depends on what you're playing. As for Bruce's voice sounding over downtuned guitars just check Chemical Wedding and see how amazing it sounds. But then again this is a more Sabbath-esque riffage and vocal driven effort unlike the majority of Maiden reportoire (If Eternity Should Fail is an exception since it's also a really riff driven track). Therefore I have my doubts if a lower tunning would go well with Maiden classics.

Well, knowing Bruce and the tough buggar he is, I think that he would feel defeated if Maiden needed to tune down because of his vocals and wouldn't approve.

Also Maiden are very melodic and not all songs would work as well tuned down, so if they ever do it, I hope they only do it on the "problematic" songs, not full set.

All that said, I think tunning down is not happening anytime soon, since Bruce is singing better now than in 2014 and even 2016/2017. Judging him on the basis FOI is a bit unfair IMO, since the last pro-recording of him singing that song is at the beginning of his vocal peak in 1997. Also, there is no backing vocals to hide behind this time around. Songs like Trooper and Aces High are better comparisons, since he sung them in 2010's.
Well I think Bruce's best years are from 81 to 85... During the SIT he was already degrading perhaps during to intense touring. Then in the second half of the 90's until the end of BNW's tour he had a strong resurgence while not as good as what I consider to be his peak but still pretty amazing. That being said I really agree that he's singing better now than in TBOS tour or when they revisited Maiden England. And yes It's unfair to compare his permorfance on FOI with his solo concerts during 1997 (and even more unfair regarding the stretch between 1983 and 1987). Nevertheless he gets it an acceptable manner. As for Aces High man... it's hard for me to say but it's already on hell of a stretch for Bruce to pull it half decently even like he did it in the SBIT tour (even during Edhunter tour it wasn't the same although better than today) and that's ok since it's one hell of a bummer to sing. Regarding The Trooper I think he still pulls it out quite nicelly.

Last edited:
He has always struggled with Flight of Icarus. Even in 1997.

Edit: Maybe I'm mixing performances, in any case I think he sounded good on it last year.

Last edited:
Well I think Bruce's best years are from 81 to 87...

Well, I disagree. If I had to pick Bruce's first peak, it would be 1981-1984 until the 1st part of World Slavery Tour fried his voice. He was a much better singer technically in 1997-2005 period and I actually think that if he didn't change his technique, he probably wouldn't be still singing as he is today.

SIASL
This for example is pitchy as hell and basically a shoutfest:

Same song, but sung during his peak years:

Aces High
Or, for example let's take Aces High from Rio 1985 (which is for sure not doctored), again pitchy and a shoutfest:

And then Flight 666 version, which again shows a much more mature singer:

The Knebworth 2014 version, which sits somewhere in between. Bruce is clearly struggling.

And lastly the 2018 version from Zagreb, which shows a clear improvement in Bruce's singing from 2014.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD9pxRMVr64

Ade has a new guitar alert!

Looks like a candy apple green sig. Jackson with a black or mirror pickguard. Used on 2MTM so far. Looks like there is a sticker on it.

Edit: It's a mirror pickguard. H gone flashy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back