LEGACY OF THE BEAST 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have mixed feelings on Ghost. When they opened for Maiden in 2016 I think they did an enjoyable set, and their style seemed like a good fit. Afterwards I tried listening to one of their albums, and was bored out of my mind by the third song... I guess they're a band meant to be experienced in a live setting :p
As to whether they are (or are destined to become) one of the best rock/metal bands in modern times, well, they are definitely not my top pick.

I would have preferred Ghost opening for Maiden rather than Killswitch Engage or Shinedown on the last two UK tours.

I would have preferred Ghost opening for Maiden rather than Killswitch Engage or Shinedown on the last two UK tours.
Definitely! I didn't even like Ghost much until after I saw them support Maiden, but those nondescript support bands with radio friendly choruses just seem like a copout. Especially when they're family.

I'm not that familiar with KSE, and I don't think I've ever listened to Shinedown, so I'll probably go with Ghost as an opener too. Like I said: they're were enjoyable live, but when I tried checking out their material afterwards it felt mediocre at best.

Ghost is definitely the best band of this decade, and the only new one from this genre I can see having bigger audiences in the future, once the heavy hitters from the 80s retire.

I will forever be grateful to Maiden for introducing them to me back in 2014!

Agreed, Ghost are my favourite band whose career started post 93 or thereabouts* but I feel they really need that moment that captures the zeitgeist to be considered up there with the 80's heavy hitters.

Do those sort of moments even happen anymore?

* I like some bands more whose career started post 93 or thereabouts but those bands usually are connected to or have members from an even better band from before 93.

the only new one from this genre I can see having bigger audiences in the future, once the heavy hitters from the 80s retire.

Why, I'm already one foot out of metal anyway nowadays, but if this prediction of yours turns out to be correct, then fuck it altogether, I'm out

I mean, seriously, guys? This is what you pick as "the next best thing"? I never thought I'd miss the times when it was supposed to be Mastodon - despite everything I said against them, that's a band on a completely different level. And with only one of the three vocalists being actually unlistenable wannabe-Ozzy knob.

I'm a bit surprised about the amount of negativity towards Ghost. They're not the most... aggressive and "METAL" act out there, but in my opinion, they've come up with a lot of great stuff and their recent albums, even with a bit more "mainstream" edge, are brilliant. It's top-notch "ABBA-metal" and I'm saying this with a lot of love. Enjoyable music, cool stage show and they're not taking themselves too seriously. It wouldn't hurt for them to test the waters even more in the future, but then again, they already have quite a versatile discography, so we'll see.

My point being... I don't know. I have no problem with people not liking Ghost, but having noticed their increasing popularity and current status, along with giving their music a fair chance, I completely understand why they're, for many, probably the first option to go with when looking for something to help in post-Maiden depression. Whenever that day comes.

Peace out.

Now playing: Life Eternal ;)

I like Ghost. They certainly have a chance to become a huge pop-rock act. But if that happens then it's not because they were the next Iron Maiden.

It's because they were the next KISS. Which is fine, but I think it's a different style altogether than what we're discussing in this forum. They're already skirting that line with pop-rock pretty hard with Prequelle. They could tack back towards metal in their next release, but maybe not. Anyway, I think Ghost is good and fun, but they aren't the next big metal act simply because they're charting a path that takes them out of metal.

I like Ghost. They certainly have a chance to become a huge pop-rock act. But if that happens then it's not because they were the next Iron Maiden.

It's because they were the next KISS. Which is fine, but I think it's a different style altogether than what we're discussing in this forum. They're already skirting that line with pop-rock pretty hard with Prequelle. They could tack back towards metal in their next release, but maybe not. Anyway, I think Ghost is good and fun, but they aren't the next big metal act simply because they're charting a path that takes them out of metal.

Are the any more poppy than metal used to be?

Ghost reminds me more of Alice Cooper than Kiss, but I agree with the sentiment LC is getting at. I think they have staying power and could become a modern gateway Metal band. They don’t really represent the genre as well as Mastodon, who are pretty popular in their own right and have mainstream appeal.

Ghost reminds me more of Alice Cooper than Kiss, but I agree with the sentiment LC is getting at. I think they have staying power and could become a modern gateway Metal band. They don’t really represent the genre as well as Mastodon, who are pretty popular in their own right and have mainstream appeal.
Ghost, Mastodon, and Gojira are the three bands that I think could become huge in a couple years. And all three of them deserve survivors!

Mastodon and Gojira have existed for too long and are too old to get much bigger than they already are.

Mastodon have probably plateaued, but they played some pretty big venues in NA this year. Gojira didn’t really catch on much here and I don’t think they will.

This year Gojira headlined Bloodstock Festival in the UK after moving up the bill every two years. There's capacity for them to get bigger I think. Perhaps not as big as Ghost are now and will be though. I expect Ghost to be headlining Wembley Arena (12,500 capacity) in London on their next UK tour and they'll probably headline Download Festival in a few years too. Gojira should at least get a better mainstage slot but they'll never headline arenas.

It’s funny how the last 3-4 pages of the LOTB 2019 thread contain only predictions on the next huge metal band. If this is not an offtopic derail, I don’t know what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back