Legacy of the Beast 2018 Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.
Presuming that Maiden do know at this point what they are going to play 6 months from now (which I highly doubt), why would they want to reveal the surprises in the set list now? Aren't you all reading too much into the tour ad campaign?

Flight of Icarus would be a massive surprise, considering it last got played once or twice in '86 and that's it. I'd welcome it with open arms, but I am a little concerned history might repeat itself and it gets dropped midway. That said, there's oh so many ways they could convince Steve the original tempo is fine and that it should be included, including appealing to things like added difficulty for Bruce to sing it if it's sped up or Nicko wanting a slower breather song in the set. I don't think it's impossible, in fact it feels more possible now that they have reason to want something easy in the set.

They are playing all the classics slower nowadays. Perfect example is Trooper (Nicko even has visual click). So Icarus returning would make perfect sense. Now couple that with SIASL, 22AA, Rime, FTGGOG, a few classics and you have an amazing show.

Presuming that Maiden do know at this point what they are going to play 6 months from now (which I highly doubt), why would they want to reveal the surprises in the set list now? Aren't you all reading too much into the tour ad campaign?
I don't think anyone here is convinced it'll be included based on solely the Facebook posting, it's more like speculating over the possibility because they happened to post it on Facebook.

e: That said the post literally says "Hmm..." which definitely sounds a little less like a random pick. I'm not convinced at all though, in all likelihood it is indeed just a random feature. There's no way we're getting all of the ones in the above post though, because realistically that'd probably leave us with a grand total of one reunion era track, which isn't going to happen.

Last edited:
I think that by the time this tour rolls around both Flight of Icarus and Aces High will be out of Bruce's vocal range.

They should open with Different World and These Colours Don't Run.

"Thank you for coming to our history tour! We would like to begin by visiting every Maiden fan's most celebrated era - the A Matter of Life and Death tour!"

I think at least a draft of the setlist would at least exist by now, assuming tour rehearsals begin in January. They’ll want to get started on set designs and lighting cues etc. I’d say the songs being included on the tour campaign can at least provide a hint at what will be played.

I’m guessing Aces High as the opener, Bruce never sounded great singing it live so I see no reason to retire it at this point.

I think that by the time this tour rolls around both Flight of Icarus and Aces High will be out of Bruce's vocal range.

I personally think that Icarus is still doable for him, because apart from "In the name of God, my father I fly" and "Now his wings turn to ashes", it's not really that high for Bruce.

Aces High is another story. Quick verses and high after modulation (Jump in the cockpit...), stupidly high choruses (especially the 2nd parts after modulation); exactly a song that could cause him trouble. He sounded great on it in 1999 and 2008, but I'm afraid that if they perform it again, we will get something like this:

And that was at the end of relatively short tour (RIR 2013 wasn't much different). And it's also performed too slow here IMHO.

In contrast, Revelations sounded amazing in 2014.

Icarus is far easier than Aces High because the high parts are limited, it's not fast at all and Bruce can easily alter the vocal melody to avoid the high bits just like he does for Aces High. Except with Icarus it'll sound less stupid because Aces High is basically built around the mighty sounding choruses with the harmonized vocals and high parts. Which, incidentally, is why it never sounded all that great live (with the exception some of the earlier 1999 performances, of course) because there was no way to replicate any of that in a live setting.

But again, tempered expectations and all that, I'd be very, very surprised if they actually played it.

e: Holy hell that Aces High is bad. Now I really hope they don't play it.

That's why I can't see Aces High being played anywhere outside of the opener spot. Bruce just can't sing it at the end of a concert

We have to bear in mind that Aces High was the first encore from 2012-2014. I bet Bruce would have been able to sing the song like in 2008 had they opened the set with it.

That being said, I hope they would play something different that has not been played live for a longer time.

He's lost a lot of his power in the higher range after his cancer and treatment, though, and of course with natural aging as well. Bearing that in mind, I just can't see him pulling off a very convincing Aces High even if it is the opener. He already struggled with The Trooper on the last tour and that's not as high or as fast, and was still relatively high up the set.

We have to bear in mind that Aces High was the first encore from 2012-2014. I bet Bruce would have been able to sing the song like in 2008 had they opened the set with it.

That being said, I hope they would play something different that has not been played live for a longer time.

True that. But I just can't see the band, who are now 10 years older, pulling off a performance like this (especially Bruce and Nicko) at the beginning of the set.

He's lost a lot of his power in the higher range after his cancer and treatment, though, and of course with natural aging as well. Bearing that in mind, I just can't see him pulling off a very convincing Aces High even if it is the opener. He already struggled with The Trooper on the last tour and that's not as high or as fast, and was still relatively high up the set.

If anything, he sounded more powerful in 2017 than from the European leg in 2011 to 2014...

EDIT: Just to convey the message more accurately.

Last edited:
Powerslave will almost certainly not be played. But if we model the set after TBOS tour (replacing songs with greatest hits songs) and put Rime and FTGGOG in TRATB and TBOS places, we can get something like this:

Moonchild (IESF)
2 Minutes To Midnight (SOL)
Revelations (COTD)
Brave New World (TOAC)
Rime Of The Acient Mariner (TRATB )
The Trooper
Stranger In A Strange Land (Powerslave)
Run To The Hills (DOG)
For The Greater Good Of God (TBOS)
Phantom Of The Opera (HBTN)
Fear Of The Dark
Iron Maiden

+3 encores (one of them TNOTB )

That would work.
It would be the most terrible beginning of their whole career. I found it difficult with two rather uninteresting songs during the last tour, but you propose three in a row.

There's also a change in pronunciation since the cancer. But I think he's good to go for anything, if he made it through LAD and that's regarded as a great live album, anything will do. Personally more worried about Nicko and fast songs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back