Legacy of the Beast 2018 Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bruce's prime as a vocalist was 2003-2008.

Arguably, I'd stretch that to 2009. COTD sounded pretty impressive back then too and I'd say that this performance of Aces High is one of the best he has ever done; that final chorus sounds amazing. COTD from the same gig is stunning as well. Then again, he's done very well with COTD pretty much every time they've played it with the current line-up.

I've honestly come around to the idea of them using Eb tuning live. Yeah yeah, it'll never happen because the band believes it would alter the compositions too much and I doubt the guitar section is into the idea of either changing string gauges or dealing with looser strings, but it'd help Bruce massively. He could focus more on the performance instead of either having to put all his efforts on reaching the high notes or then having to alter the melody to make it doable (like he did with Aces High).

Re: the above, yeah in 2009 Bruce was absolutely in great form still. The above gig in Santiago was amazing, Aces High up there is easily better than the Flight 666 take. It also has one of my favorite takes on the Phantom solo by Janick.

Bruce's prime as a vocalist was 2003-2008.

Remember, on DOTR he was pretty sick, but he sounds great to me. Then, there is possibly one of the best gigs for Bruce's vocally, Ullevi 2005. And then again the performance of COTD at Donnington 2007. 2008 had stellar performances of Rime, Powerslave and Revelations.

He might never reach those heights again, but he can still perform amazingly. He is just not as consistent as he was in those years. Bruce on his better nights is still one of the best, if not the best vocalist in rock and metal. At almost 60 and surviving throat cancer. This HBTN from Berlin is a proof of that (he pulled that off after 3+ months of constant touring):

And of course not to mention TBOS (the song) performances during this tour.

Ok then, what you think about his performance on Rock in Rio 2001 - I think it's one of the best Maiden concerts and a highlight of Bruce voice !

I also think that he sounded great on Death on the Road.
Ullevi 2005 is indeed one of the best gigs for Bruce. In Donington 2007 Bruce voice was in good form and the performance of COTD is still great.
During the whole SBIT tour 2008/2009 he was amazing !

I hope he can still hit those high notes, but he always surprises me. That performance of HBTN from Berlin is majestic !

Mentioning Rock in Rio '01 is straight cheating if you ask me. That was at the end of a pretty intense tour, both scheduling and set length wise. It's still completely unfathomable he pulled off RTTH at that level at the end of a two-hour set. What makes it even more amazing is that just a couple of shows before, he was struggling with The Fallen Angel and Out of the Silent Planet in the same slot. I still don't understand how he did it.

What makes it even more amazing is that just a couple of shows before, he was struggling with The Fallen Angel and Out of the Silent Planet in the same slot. I still don't understand how he did it.

Yeah. That bunch of gigs was pretty intense before four day gap between Chile and Rock in Rio, so maybe that little break helped.

Not saying that Bruce did that well with OoTSP and The Fallen Angel on those gigs before Rio, but the audio from those performances is a bit muddy to begin with, so there's that too.

Arguably, I'd stretch that to 2009. COTD sounded pretty impressive back then too and I'd say that this performance of Aces High is one of the best he has ever done; that final chorus sounds amazing. COTD from the same gig is stunning as well. Then again, he's done very well with COTD pretty much every time they've played it with the current line-up.

Well IMO, the best version of COTD is Download 2007, but yeah, Bruce was still great in 2009. The RIR 2001, he was great, but not as good as 2003-2008 IMO.

Another great performance - that's why I said from 1999 to 2011 !

For me, the best performances of Bruce are:

1. Hallowed Be Thy Name - Beast Over Hammersmith 1982.
2. The Talisman - En Vivo! 2011
3. The Book of Souls - Donington 2016
4. Remember Tomorrow Ullevi 2005
5. Rime of the Ancient Mariner - Flight 666 2008

*SSOASS from Maiden England '89 was great too, considering that Bruce was sick. The whole Rock in Rio 2001 show also belongs to his best performances !

Last edited:
Another great performance - that's why I said from 1999 to 2011 !

For me, the best performances of Bruce are:

1. Hallowed Be Thy Name - Beast Over Hammersmith 1982.
2. The Talisman - En Vivo! 2011
3. The Book of Souls - Donington 2016
4. Remember Tomorrow 2005
5. Rime of the Ancient Mariner - Flight 666 2008

*SSOASS from Maiden England '89 was great too, considering that Bruce was sick. The whole Rock in Rio 2001 show also belongs to his best performances !
Best Bruce performances?

5. Tears Of The Dragon - Live at Marquee 1994
4. Run To The Hills - Ullevi 2005 (also my favourite version of that solo by Davey)
3. Rime Of The Acient Mariner - Flight 666 2008
2. Hallowed Be Thy Name - Beast Over Hammersmith 1982
1. Remember Tomorrow - Ullevi 2005

Honorable mentions (or 8th, 7th and 6th): 22 Accacia Avenue - Rock Am Ring 2003, The Book Of Souls - Donington 2016, Paschendale - Death On The Road 2003

Well IMO, the best version of COTD is Download 2007, but yeah, Bruce was still great in 2009. The RIR 2001, he was great, but not as good as 2003-2008 IMO.

I think this version of COTD in Donington 2007 is the only one where Bruce screams at the end of the songs (as it in the studio version).
*in Brixton Academy 2002 I think he also screams at the end of the song.

For me, the Rock in Rio 2001 is one of Bruce greatest performances !

The RIR 2001, he was great, but not as good as 2003-2008 IMO.

Bruce was pretty much at his best in 2003-2008/09 when it comes to "clean", high vocals. Performances like Where Eagles Dare from Ullevi (or Rock Am Ring '05) are amongst his finest ever. Then again, he's lost some of the raspy and "aggressive" edge he still had in 2001; Be Quick or be Dead would have been amazing back then, hehe.

All things considered, we should count ourselves lucky that the singer of the band we adore is capable of singing at that high level. Long may it remain so.

All things considered, we should count ourselves lucky that the singer of the band we adore is capable of singing at that high level. Long may it remain so.
Of course. The fact that he peaked when he was 45-50 years old is stunning by itself.

Or that he sings better post cancer treatment than on the ME or TFF tours.

A freak of nature.

I think his vocal prime was from somewhere around 1997-1998, when Accident of Birth and The Chemical Wedding were released, up to 2008, the first leg of SBiT tour.

Yeah, The Chemical Wedding may not technically have his best singing (look for TNOTB - SSOASS for that), but it's got his... strongest singing. He feels sure of himself on it, even if he can't reach ALL of the notes he used to be able to hit. Marvelous album, marvelous singer.

I'm wondering what songs would represent the legacy of the Di'Anno and Blaze eras on the upcoming tour.

For Paul, except Iron Maiden (the song) maybe Prowler and Killers or the usuals: Sanctuary, Running Free, POTO and Wrathchild :confused:

For Blaze, maybe The Clansman or Sign of the Cross, though I want Futureal.

I'm wondering what songs would represent the legacy of the Di'Anno and Blaze eras on the upcoming tour.

For Paul, except Iron Maiden (the song) maybe Prowler and Killers or the usuals: Sanctuary, Running Free, POTO and Wrathchild :confused:

For Blaze, maybe The Clansman or Sign of the Cross, though I want Futureal.

I don't expect anything out of the norm from the first two albums. Running Free and Phantom of the Opera are the strongest candidates in addition to Iron Maiden. I don't think they'll play Wrathchild this year. Killers would be cool and Remember Tomorrow is possible, but nowhere near likely.

From Blaze-era, The Clansman, as speculated, is even expected to return. One of the more obvious and logical choices to be amongst "surprises from the later albums" since it's a song both Bruce and Steve seem to really like doing and has worked very well before. It's definitely not too challenging and from what I've understood, crowd reactions were pretty good in the past. So yeah, I'm honestly even a bit surprised if it's NOT played.

I'd love Sign of the Cross though! Bring back the prop from the BNW tour... :cool:

I think rehearsals should start any day now. 1 month before the tour + they usualy have a week of production rehearsals at the venue of the first gig. I'll have my eyes peeled on World Wide Web for any news or member sightings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back