Kosovo: Hoping for Peace

Good luck to your brother, Yax.  My dad went to the former Yugoslavia once...old memories there, and it makes it hard sometimes.

However, I think Serbia will handle this fairly well, the government seems rather committed to allowing this to go somewhat peaceably.  Really, the two countries should look into some sort of free access thing eventually...letting people pass to each other's areas to see their shared history, while recognizing each other as independent political entities.

EU fails to unite over Kosovo independence as Spain is first to refuse recognition

EU foreign ministers today struggled for unity over Kosovo's independence from Serbia despite David Miliband pleading for their support.

Spain became the first member country to refuse to recognise the fledgling state - joining Russia and China in claiming the breakaway is an illegal act.

The move instantly destroyed hopes of a united front which Mr Miliband said would stave off a new Balkan war.

Furious Serbs have been protesting since Albanian majority Kosovo yesterday announced it was splitting from its powerful former master.

Spain, like Russia, is grappling with its own seperatist movements and believes it would not be in its interest to back the former territory of Yugoslavia.

"The government of Spain will not recognise the unilateral act proclaimed yesterday by the assembly of Kosovo," Spanish Foreign Minister Miguel Angel Moratinos told reporters on arrival for a meeting of EU foreign ministers.

"We will not recognise because we consider this does not respect international law."

He added that to be legal, secession from Serbia required either an agreement between the parties or a UN Security Council resolution.

The EU ministers were expected to adopt a statement taking note of Kosovo's declaration, pledging to work for stability and reaffirming the "European perspective" of the entire Western Balkans - a code phrase for eventual EU membership.

Spain proposed a draft stating that each member would decide on its relations with Kosovo and reaffirmed the EU's commitment to the principle of territorial integrity of states.

Diplomats said it could be a basis for a compromise which all EU countries except perhaps Cyprus could back.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel said Berlin would not take a final decision on Monday, but Kosovo's ethnic Albanian Prime Minister Hashim Thaci, a U.S.-backed former guerrilla leader, said in Pristina he expected first recognitions "any minute".

"The aim is to have a platform of unity within the EU, on which each member state can act," Merkel told reporters.

An EU diplomat said German Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier would indicate Berlin's intention to recognise Kosovo after Monday's meeting.

Mr Miliband said it is "critical" for the European Union to show leadership on the western Balkans and to maintain peace and stability there.

"I think it's very important that we recognise that all of the countries in the Western Balkans are European countries," he said.

"It is critical that Europe shows real leadership in how it ensures that peace and stability are the order of the day in the Western Balkans."

At the weekend diplomats said the main European powers involved in Balkan diplomacy - Britain, France, Germany and Italy - could announce recognition directly after the EU meeting, with the United States making the same move on Monday.

Aside from Spain, at least five - Cyprus, Greece, Slovakia, Bulgaria and Romania - have indicated they will not do so now because of legal misgivings or concern about restive minorities in their own countries.

EU foreign policy chief Javier Solana urged restraint after Serbian nationalists stoned Western embassies in Belgrade in anger at the declaration of independence by Kosovo's Albanians.

"The EU has already decided to send a mission, a mission of stability, a mission of rule of law.

It should contribute to the stability of the Balkans," Solana told reporters.

The EU agreed on Saturday to send 2,000 police, justice and civil administrators to help build Kosovo's institutions.

NATO said in a statement its 17,000-strong KFOR stabilisation force would "respond resolutely to any attempts to disrupt the safety and security of the population of Kosovo".

EU Enlargement Commissioner Olli Rehn said Kosovo was a unique case and would not set a precedent.

He praised Kosovan leaders for promising to respect minority rights in line with a plan drafted by former Finnish President Martti Ahtisaari.

Russia, Serbia's closest ally, prevented the UN Security Council from adopting his blueprint for supervised independence last year.

That led Kosovo to declare statehood in coordination with Western powers.

Q and A

Why did Kosovo want independence?

Some 90 per cent of the population is Albanian. Demands for independence were ignored amid the wider Balkan wars of the 1990s until an armed rebellion was launched towards the end of the decade.

Serb forces hit back so hard in 1998 that 100,000 Albanians fled to the hills and Nato powers warned Serb leader Slobodan Milosevic they would not tolerate another round of "ethnic cleansing" in the Balkans.

Peace talks in France failed and in March 1999 Nato started bombing Serbia to force it to withdraw its forces from Kosovo. Some 800,000 Albanians fled or were expelled to Macedonia and Albania before Milosevic gave in 78 days later. As his forces pulled out, up to 200,000 Serbs and other ethnic minorities left as well.

How has Kosovo been run up to now?

Kosovo has been administered by the United Nations, with Nato troops as peacekeepers, since 1999. Unemployment is more than 50 per cent. Kosovo's uncertain future has deterred outside investment.

Spasms of ethnic violence, mostly by Albanians against Serbs, and organised traffic of contraband and people, have tarnished its image.

What will happen next?

Following yesterday's declaration of independence by the Kosovo parliament, the procedure is likely to follow a plan drawn up by UN special envoy Martti Ahtisaari for "supervised independence" which was rejected by Serbia.

Under the plan, a 120-day transitional period will follow a declaration and full independence would then come into effect.

How will the world react?

EU foreign ministers will meet in Brussels today and the majority of member states are in favour of independence. Cyprus, Romania, Slovakia, Spain and Greece are not, fearing it could set a precedent for separatist groups in their own countries among other reasons.

Russia has firmly rejected the Kosovo move and wants the United Nations to annul the declaration.

Why is Russia so opposed?

Russia considers Serbia to share a Slavic and Orthodox Christian tradition and parts of the Belgrade government have actively courted Moscow's support in recent months. Serbia's oil monopoly was recently sold to Russia's Gazprom for what was considered a low price.

Traditionally an ally of Serbia, Russia is concerned by the EU's expansion into the Balkans and Moscow believes Kosovo would set a precedent.

There is little difference, according to the Kremlin, between the separatism of Kosovo and the ambitions of pro-Russian areas such as Abkhazia and South Ossetia in Georgia and Trans-Dniester in Moldova.

What will happen to Kosovo's Serb minority?

An estimated 120,000 ethnic Serbs live in Kosovo, many in Serb-dominated areas north of the Ibar river, adjoining Serbia proper. Half of the population lives under Nato protection in scattered enclaves south of the Ibar river.

Under the Ahtisaari plan, the Serb minority would have guaranteed places in local government and parliament, proportionate representation in the police and civil service, and a special status for the Serbian Orthodox Church.

Is there a risk of violence?

Yes. Nato forces have stepped up their state of alert, especially in ethnically mixed areas of Kosovo. Commanders have promised more patrols.

The key question is whether they will be able to control flashpoints such as the main northern town of Mitrovica, where ethnic Serbs live north of the Ibar river and ethnic Albanians to the south.

Could the violence spread?

The nightmare scenario would involve Kosovo Serbs who live south of the Ibar river being violently driven from their homes, and the expulsion of ethnic Albanians living in enclaves in northern Kosovo, and in the Presevo and Bujanovac regions of southern Serbia.

It could go further than that. There are large ethnic Albanian communities in Macedonia and Montenegro, some of whom might seek a union with Kosovo.

Yax I wish your brother luck and hope for no violence.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The violence upon declaration of independence has been low all things considered.  No deaths were reported.  There was a UN vehicle explosion in northern Kosovo, other UN property destruction, Belgrade demonstrations and Banja Luka, Bosnia witnessed some European embassies (French and German, for example) under attack.  The destruction has not been major; only typical anger from Serbs the international community knew did not want an independent Kosovo.  Though there are pockets of Serbian civilians who would not mind an escalation of violence.  It will be up to UN to quell this.

Like LC said the Serbian government is committed to peace and stability and an eventual EU membership.  I think they'll do their best to calm the Serbian population down.  Russia is more of a threat than Serbia in the greater scheme of things.

As far as nightmare scenario that the article Forostar posted is concerned, I do not see the urge for Kosavar independence to spread to neighbouring countries of Macedonia and Montenegro.  Kosovo Serbs do wish for a re-joining with Serbia, which roughly comprises 15% of Kosovo territory.  I can't see this happening, as it requires the Serbian government recognition.  As long as Boris Tadic is in power, Serbia's official stance will remain pro-West.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've heard an interesting commentary today that I've decided to include here.  I was listening to the local radio station.  The Canadian-born former UN peacekeeper and retired Major-General Lewis Mackenzie was interviewed.  He has a long history of peacekeeping in former Yugoslavia, particularly in Sarajevo.  Controversy has followed him throughout his service there, including bribes to serve as a pro-Serbian mouthpiece in Bosnia and of downplaying the atrocities at Srebrenica, where it is believed up to 8,000 muslim males were killed in mass burial graves.  UN vehemently disagrees with his "findings".  He was very outspoken about the expected break-up of Yugoslavia, which he believed should be stopped.  Not surprisingly, he thought on radio today that Kosovo's independence was a bad idea.  According to him, the new break-away republic would lead to further break-ups in Serbia, Kosovo and Bosnia along ethnic lines.  I think he's off base as usual.  Nonetheless, it will be interesting to see how this apparent precedent of Kosovo affects future international law. 

EDIT: The pro-independent Kosovo part of EU like France, Germany and Britain believe Kosovo is a unique situation, but others countries like Spain, Russia and Greece disagree.  Russia especially seems to imply that Russian minorities in Moldova and Georgia who are looking to break-away now have a ligitimate precedent.

Church, rail workers join Serb boycott in Kosovo

By Matt Robinson

PRISTINA, March 3 (Reuters) - The influential Orthodox Church and railway workers on Monday joined a widening Serb boycott of Kosovo following its declaration of independence from Serbia last month.

The Church instructed all priests in the Albanian majority territory to end all contact with the capital Pristina, the European Union mission taking over supervision of Kosovo and representatives of countries that have recognised its secession on Feb 17.

The Church should "not have contact or hold any kind of discussion with representatives of these institutions or countries, nor receive them or respond to their invitations," Bishop Artemije wrote, state news agency Tanjug reported.

Backed by Russia, Serbia rejects Kosovo's secession and is instructing the new country's 120,000 remaining Serbs to do the same, worsening the ethnic divide and raising fears Kosovo is heading for de facto partition.

Over 200 Serb police officers have been suspended and handed in their weapons, badges and radios after refusing to take orders from the Kosovo Police Service command in Pristina and demanding they report only to the United Nations police.

Border posts in the Serb-dominated north have been attacked, preventing the collection of customs taxes, and Serbs are bidding to take control of the main U.N. court in the north by preventing its Albanian staff from travelling to work.

The EU's Kosovo envoy, Dutch diplomat Pieter Feith, accused Serbia on Friday of trying to sever ties between the 90-percent Albanian majority and minority Serbs, a move he said was "coming very close" to a bid for partition.

RAIL WORKERS

Early on Monday, the train travelling from Kosovo Polje in central Kosovo to Lesak in the far north was stopped at the northern Zvecan station as soon as it had crossed into Serb-dominated territory.

Around 50 Serb workers in the Kosovo Railway said they had "separated" from the Pristina headquarters.

"We have decided, as the northern department, to separate from the Kosovo Railway in Pristina because, for us, Zvecan is still Serbia, and will remain Serbia," said railway worker Ivan Konstadinov.

Branislav Ristivojevic, head of the state Serbian Railway company and an adviser to Serb Prime Minister Vojislav Kostunica, said the company would "take over responsibility" for the railway infrastructure north of Zvecan.

Serbia lost control over its then southern province in 1999, after NATO bombed to halt the killing and ethnic cleansing of Albanian civilians by Serb forces in a two-year war against separatist guerrillas.

Serbia cherishes Kosovo as the cradle of the nation, where Serb history and myth dates back 1,000 years and old monasteries dot the land.

The European Union is taking over policing and supervision of the new country, but faces a challenge to impose its rule in Serb areas, notably the north where Serbs dominate.

Serbia is promising to rule parts of Kosovo where "loyal citizens" continue to look to Belgrade for government. (Additional reporting by Branislav Krstic; editing by Keith Weir)

I don't like this story

This story of independent Kosovo has cost enormous amounts of money (and not only) to UN
its 100 % unuseless the whole region's stability (and EU's too)

Just American interests can be served from this fact*,
so I don't see why our looser European Goverments go for it

The Serbians ?? I find it very normal to react, they lost their more historic region

-----
[*]
in the end I think no-one will be the winner of that story, not even Americans
the cost will be huge : already Kosovo hosts one of the most powerfull Mafias in the world
you know what ? every 6 km in Kosovo there is a fuel station .....every 6 fuckin kilometres
it's how they wash their money

Explain how American interests can be served by a small European country with no oil or major natural resources becoming independent.  Please.  I really want to know how.

I think it's worth every penny.

-One gas tube will pass through the country soon

-Europe is less stable after this
-Russia is less stable after this
-China is less stable after this

-US have one more yes man

I will admit that a certain area of Europe will be (temporarily) less stable in the upcoming time, but I don't see this having any long-term effects on China or Russia.  Russia is being a blowhard here, supporting Serbia but definitely aren't doing anything militarily about it - unlike in 1998.  They're just saying, "Serbia should be whole!" and then going repressing their own people.

China has nothing to do with it.

And do you mean oil or natural gas?  Because a European oil pipeline would have little to do with the USA, and natural gas would have nothing to do with the USA.

America has plenty of yes-man nations already, one more has nothing to do with it.

For me, I simply see a group of people with a unique ethnic identity choosing their own path to creating their own nation.

so why you think China and Russia were against ??

this thing is an example that other people would probably like to follow
China has some territories like this -Russia even more

it will be a natural gas pipeline that will pass through Albania, Kosovo, FYROM and Bulgaria
all of them 100% yes man countries

For me, I simply see a group of people with a unique ethnic identity choosing their own path to creating their own nation.

this people would never had been free without the HUGE help from States
Since '95 ENORMOUS amounts of money have been invested to today's Kosovo's independence
do you really think that they did it out of philanthropy ??,

I'm just curious here. What is Albania's stance on this situation? I know they are recognizing Kosovo as a nation but do they now have the go ahead in trying to absorb this into their own borders. No problem there from the ethnic Albanians but what does Serbia now do about this? Does this happen and in a compromise, the Serbian dominated, northern provinces of a now independent Kosovo revert back to Serbia? How difficult can it actually be for these two peoples to actually co-exist? They've been forced to do it for centuries. It just appears to me that the boundaries that were "created" were poorly researched at best.

____no5 said:
so why you think China and Russia were against ??

this thing is an example that other people would probably like to follow
China has some territories like this -Russia even more

it will be a natural gas pipeline that will pass through Albania, Kosovo, FYROM and Bulgaria
all of them 100% yes man countries

this people would never had been free without the HUGE help from States
Since '95 ENORMOUS amounts of money have been invested to today's Kosovo's independence
do you really think that they did it out of philanthropy ??,
China and Russia can handle their own internal politics, I am sure.  Little independence movements in Kosovo don't really mean anything.  Russia has had a little revolution bubbling for years, and Kosovo won't make any difference to that.  Indeed, China as well, have been repressing ethnic groups they've occupied for many years.  Maybe they need a little kick in the ass.

Only modern, open, democratic nations with major independence movements within will be at all bolstered by this alteration.  Hey!  What's the only open, democratic, modern nation with a major, widespread independence movement?  Oh...it's Canada.  Right.  And there's no fuss here, or scarcely any.

And you know what?  It's more than slightly callous to suggest it is the help of the "States" that has altered the political landscape in the Balkans.  NATO in general has had a long history of protecting, peacekeeping, and patrolling those areas.  My dad was deployed to Bosnia in 1995, for instance.

And finally...what's wrong with natural gas?
Deano said:
I'm just curious here. What is Albania's stance on this situation? I know they are recognizing Kosovo as a nation but do they now have the go ahead in trying to absorb this into their own borders. No problem there from the ethnic Albanians but what does Serbia now do about this? Does this happen and in a compromise, the Serbian dominated, northern provinces of a now independent Kosovo revert back to Serbia? How difficult can it actually be for these two peoples to actually co-exist? They've been forced to do it for centuries. It just appears to me that the boundaries that were "created" were poorly researched at best.

Well, let's take a look here:

Kosovo_ethnic_2005.png

It sucks, but Kosovo has existed as a political entity with these borders for a long time; if I remember correctly, the Serb population of the northern provinces showed up recently.  It really sucks for those Serbs, but at the same time, they are the minority in the region, significantly so (4-5%).  It's possible that those counties could get turned over, but I don't see it happening.

Yeah, no kidding! I haven't thought about Quebec in quite some time. Wonder how that's going....... a topic for a whole new thread I guess, disregard.

Deano said:
Yeah, no kidding! I haven't thought about Quebec in quite some time. Wonder how that's going....... a topic for a whole new thread I guess, disregard.

Come to the chat sometime!

Come to the chat sometime!

I've been meaning to and probably will very soon. I'll have to ensure it's at a time that I know I can block out a few hours to devote to it.

Kosovo Serbs seize UN courthouse

Hundreds of Kosovo Serbs have taken over a UN courthouse in the northern Kosovo town of Mitrovica, raising a Serbian flag to replace the UN's.

The protesters broke into the building in the Serb-dominated part of the city, forcing UN police to retreat.

A Kosovo police spokesman said a UN official was negotiating with Serb leaders to try to resolve the issue.

Kosovo Serbs and Serbia have refused to recognise Kosovo's declaration of independence last month.

Most EU states and the US have recognised Pristina's unilateral move.

Tension

UN riot police did not intervene when the crowd seized the court.

"We have returned to a building that belongs to us, and in which we worked until 1999," municipal public prosecutor Milan Bigovic was quoted as saying by Reuters.

Many of the protesters are reported to be former staff who lost their jobs in 1999 at the end of the war in Kosovo, when it came under UN administration.

Serbs had staged rallies outside the court for several weeks, preventing ethnic Albanian court employees from crossing the bridge over the Ibar River that divides Mitrovica into a Serb-run north and an ethnic Albanian south.

Tension in the region has risen sharply since Kosovo declared independence on 17 February.

Last week, Serbs tried to take control over a railway line in the northern Kosovo.

In February, some 150 Kosovo Serb police officers were suspended for refusing to take orders from the ethnic Albanian authorities in Kosovo's capital, Pristina.

-----------------

Other news from the Balkan:

Croatia's EU bid given boost
By Tony Barber / Last updated: March 14 2008 02:00

Croatia's bid for early membership of the European Union received a boost yesterday when the European Commission said it should be possible to complete accession negotiations by the end of 2009, writes Tony Barber from Brussels.

"It should be possible to conclude the technical negotiations next year, preferably by the end of the mandate of this Commission [in November 2009]," José Manuel Barroso, the Commission president, said after talks with Ivo Sanader, Croatia's prime minister.

It was the first time that Croatia had received an explicit target date from Brussels for concluding its membership talks, which began in October 2005 but have made slow progress over the past year.

Mr Barroso made his announcement shortly after Croatia's parliament removed the biggest irritant in EU-Croatian relations when it voted early yesterday morning to abolish a provision that barred fishermen from EU countries from operating in parts of the Adriatic sea that Zagreb has proclaimed a protected zone.

The prohibition had principally affected Italy and Slovenia, and both the Commission and EU governments had advised Croatia to drop the ban or face delays in its EU membership talks.

If it costs some money, so 'kin what. Many people are better off now.

We'll see about that. Your own state won't get you far if you are hungry. Seeing the amounts of money that SFRY sent there over the 40 years "to develop the undeveloped", and still they're one of the lowest-standard regions of Europe, i'm sceptic about them being "better off now".

Zare said:
We'll see about that. Your own state won't get you far if you are hungry.

It depends on the reason why the people were hungry, doesn't it?  I don't know - I think it makes more sense in the long run to divide Serbia and Kosovo into two independent nations, just like it did to break up Yugoslavia.  People should have the right to choose who governs them, and Kosovo chose.

Back