KISS

Well after watching all the DVDs again, I realized that there were less missing eras than I thought. These eras are unrepresented:

Destroyer Tour - But from what I understand, there is going to be Destroyer tour footage on the upcoming 4th volume.

Dynasty Tour - Though one of the bonus discs* is from this tour. It's a good show too, some stuff from the solo albums, which they rarely did.

Animalize Tour - This one I don't get, there was a VHS released from this tour. It's on youtube:

Asylum Tour - Again, I think there is going to be something from this on 4. Also, there was a tape released around this time called X-Posed, also on DVD. It's a bit campy but has some good interviews and footage that isn't on Kissology. But also stuff that is, like Winterland footage.

So not much missing at all, and really it doesn't matter all that much because, unlike Maiden, their setlists didn't vary a whole lot. Anything worthwile on a Destroyer show, for example, is probably on the Budokan show from that dvd. I mostly just want to see the stage. I really wish Maiden would put out a set like this though, but it doesn't seem like they have as much in their archive as Kiss does. Which is really a shame.

*When each set got released, for a limited time you could get a bonus disc with it. What was on the disc depended on where you bought it. I have a Cobo Hall show from 1 and a concert from the Dynasty tour on 2. By the time I got 3 they didn't have the bonus discs anymore. Dunno why these concerts weren't just included on the regular editions.

Kiss is a bit odd in their archives. From what I read, somewhere in the early 80s, they had all their stuff (tapes, demos, videos, costumes, old stage sets, etc) in various warehouses. Since they took the makeup off, they probably figured that stuff was generally useless and over time stuff was either stolen or somehow the warehouses were sold (either through non payment of fees or they just sold it). They had changed management around this time too so some stuff disappeared that way. The end result is that a lot of people own the video and various Kiss demos and Kiss had to buy them back to put some of these shows on the Kissology DVDs. There is a fair amount of confusion as to what actually exists, since the people that own this stuff do not(and cannot) put it out there (though some stuff leaks on occasion) and Kiss, while owning the image and music rights, do not own the actual media it is stored on

Here is a video from 1994 of Simmons and Stanley with the cops raiding a convention to get some of the stolen stuff back. Around the 11 min mark, Stanley explains how it was stolen

It is an odd situation, I guess they did not see how valuable this stuff would be in the future.

That's really interesting. Never saw the video before, had no idea about this stuff. I guess that explains why the next volume covers the entire spectrum of Kiss rather than a specific career?

Kiss was already going to conventions. This eventually led to their Kiss Unplugged concert which was the catalyst for the reunion.

It was just a joke. I meant how to get bands in general (other bands than Kiss) to show up to fan conventions - steal their stuff..

And OMG the cameraman of that video and the small, I can't tell if its a prepubescent kid or a girl, who keeps screaming "Paul, Paul, Paul" is fucking annoying :eek:

Kiss was already going to conventions. This eventually led to their Kiss Unplugged concert which was the catalyst for the reunion.

There were 2 kinds of conventions ... fan driven ones (like this one), then the official ones where they would always be and generally play an acoustic set, which led the the Unplugged deal. There was one in LA that Peter Criss went to and took his kid (who not around during the hey day in the 70s) and played a few songs with them which was the catalyst for the Unplugged show and reunion.

As an aside, I recently read the Peter Criss book, it was really good ... better than the other Kiss auto biographies that have come out so far

Well the official ones were inspired by the unofficial ones, right?

Haven't read any of the books, I want to. Ace's seemed interesting.

I think the official ones were inspired from the unofficial ones ... and the fact they were having problems booking arena tours. Ace's book was okay, the first part was quite good, but the second half seemed like he rushed to finish it and was not as good.

Ace has always been my favorite Kiss member. His solo stuff is pretty good too, his last album demolished the last two Kiss albums. His guitar solos were also always very well done, working as compositions by themselves. Similar to Adrian Smith's guitar solos in that regard. So obviously his book is the on I'm most interested in. Next would probably be Peter.

As soon as GNR wraps up, I'll be starting a Kiss survivor. This will include everything; from the debut all the way up to Monster. I want to include the solo albums but I won't if there is a big outcry against it. I'm not aware of any b-sides/non album songs but if there are someone please let me know.

Ace is my favorite from a musical standpoint (easily) from Kiss as well.

As for extra songs, these are all I can think of for additional studio songs:

Kiss
Kissin' Time ... was not on the original release, but included on all future releases

From Alive II
All American Man, Rockin in the USA, Larger Than Life, Rocket Ride, Anyway You Want It

From Killers
I am Legend Tonight, Down on Your Knees, Nowhere to Run, Partners in Crime

From Smashes, Thrashes, and Hits
Let's Put the 'X' in Sex, Rock Hard

From Psycho Circus (Japan Bonus Track)
In Your Face

Ace is my favorite from a musical standpoint (easily) from Kiss as well.

As for extra songs, these are all I can think of for additional studio songs:

Kiss
Kissin' Time ... was not on the original release, but included on all future releases

From Alive II
All American Man, Rockin in the USA, Larger Than Life, Rocket Ride, Anyway You Want It

From Killers
I am Legend Tonight, Down on Your Knees, Nowhere to Run, Partners in Crime

From Smashes, Thrashes, and Hits
Let's Put the 'X' in Sex, Rock Hard

From Psycho Circus (Japan Bonus Track)
In Your Face
Ah yes, somehow forgot about these, thanks. My copy of the debut includes Kissin' Time, so I'll just include it like that. Didn't know it wasn't on the original. I'll probably have Alive II as its own album. Maybe Killers too. Either that or I'll include it with The Elder. Smashes will be with Crazy Nights.

I think every pressing except for the first batch of Kiss includes Kissin' Time ... I would almost put the Killers stuff with Creatures, they were produced post Elder as anti-Elder songs from a stylistic standpoint .... I would think those songs will be eliminated pretty quickly, so it probably does not matter too much.

Ah, I haven't heard Killers. I had thought they were Elder sessions, especially since the sleeve has that Elder look. But I'll put it with Creatures instead.

I've been thinking about investing in some Kiss albums and maybe try and get into them. Then I see something like that and it just doesn't make it any easier.

I manage to separate everything they've done after 2000 and everything before. That makes it easier to listen to them. The Hello Kitty thing is ridiculous but it doesn't affect my enjoyment of the old records.

Exactly ... I last saw them on the AeroKiss tour (with Thayer as Ace) and pretty much decided that would be the last time I see them (unless they do another reunion). If you wanted to write a book about how to not handle success, Kiss would be the ideal topic ... from Hello Kitty to Vinnie Vincent burying dogs in his back yard ... outside of the music, this has to be one of the most jacked up bands ever.

I saw them the year after and also haven't cared to see them again. It seems like they've been putting on the same show for the past 12 years, they barely even play material from their new albums. I'd say it's worth going once if you haven't seen them yet. And yea, I try to just ignore whatever non musical ventures they take.

Back