Killers: individual album judgement by yours truly

Listened to the Killers remaster driving around doing errands today. My first Maiden album and one of my favorites. I do miss this style of Maiden, though I love where they are at now, too.

The Ides of March -- 6
Wrathchild -- 7
Murders in the Rue Morgue – 9
Another Life -- 7
Genghis Khan -- 8
Innocent Exile -- 7
Killers -- 9
Prodigal Son -- 8
Purgatory -- 8
Twilight Zone -- 6
Drifter – 7

IRON MAIDEN - KILLERS (2020 re-listening):

1- The Ides Of March:
Great brief instrumental serving as an appetizer filled with great soloing upon a marching pace. It is simply impossible not loving this stuff. 7.25/10

2- Wrathchild:
Once again kind of an odd choice for "opening" the record since Murders In The Rue Morgue would be way more fitting to come after the intro that is TIOM. Other than that this heavy blues influenced short tune with that great bridge and solos is such a classic even severe overplaying can't keep me from severely nod every time I give it a listen. 8.75/10

3- Murders In The Rue Morgue:
Intro? Excellent. Crescendo? Flawless. Transition to the fast part? Brutal. Verses are top notch and chorus is wicked while the bridge and solos are also state of the art. Simply amazing! 10/10

4- Another Life:
A cool short rocker with well picked solos, cool verses and a weird harmony yet interesting separating them. Fast section is really good and although this is far from being Maiden at its best it's still an enjoyable song to bang your head to. 7.5/10

5- Genghis Khan:
The far east influenced melody of the main melody in this excellent instrumental is simply addictive, the drum work during the entire track is absolutely on point, the rumbling fast section really portraits the bellicose character that serves as a centerpiece to the song and the end section guitar harmonies and solos are among the best ever made by Maiden. Superb. 9.25/10

6- Innocent Exile:
Another song that has grown a bit more on me over the last years: great bass lines, a sleazy groove overall with lots of Purple and Zepp Influences all around. Fast soloing section also stands out. While still one of the least good songs here this is undoubtedly still a great listening experience. 7.75/10

7- Killers:
This track is absolutely VICIOUS! From the bass in the intro along with Paul's screams to the sliding based guitar riffs, this track's energy and ambiance really materializes the horror mood it aims for. Plus that bridge and soloing section... man everything here is firing at all cylinders and this title track is nothing short of amazing. Only thing wrong here is the few amount of times the band plays this masterpiece live. 10/10

8- Prodigal Son:
Now this is another singularity in Maiden's catalogue. An almost acoustic calm song with laid back riffs and a somehow uneasy chorus, with great soloing to make it shine even more this song is really something. Paul's vocals sound really great on this one and although being quite unique it never gives you the impression of not belonging in Maiden's catalogue. 8.5/10

9- Purgatory:
Fast and heavy as hell, this beast of a track is a roller coaster that mixes excellent composition and red line adrenaline. The vocals are mental, the pre-chorus is Maiden state of the art and the refrain while seeming a bit off at first serves as a great breather for all the madness all around offering an excellent bass line and guitar melodies. 9.25/10

10- Drifter:
Cool 70's based rocker with a great initial guitar riff while having some uninteresting lyrics. Although sounding a bit lackluster at first there's more to it when it comes to this simple tune and composition wise it's absolutely solid. 7.5/10

PS: 8.57/10 points song average

Bonus Stuff/ Original B' sides:

Twilight Zone:
Not Maiden top notch but still a cool track. And while Paul seems like he's desperately trying to fit too much words during the verses rendering it a bit confusing, the chorus is really good and the soloing enjoyable. 7.5/10

This album is filled with wild aggressive stuff, while also having lots of variety, melody and composition geniality. A really unique record in Maiden's catalogue and an absolute classic. And if the debuts cover was iconic this one's simply one of Rigg's best works ever: the intensity and sheer terror of the moment, the grin on Eddie's face and the way the lamp's light is used... wow! Plus Mr. Birch gets on the scene and says "this is how it's done" for the production on this thing is absolutely monstrous and ahead of its time. 8.75/10

Last edited:
Today is the 40th Anniversary of Killers.
Awesome album, the second with Paul and the first one with Adrian and produced by Martin Birch.
I adore all the tracks on it. On these days my favorite track is Another Life.
I love both worlds with Paul and Bruce. The first one I heard was Bruce on Piece of Mind and Live After Death, but I have to say that I love all the energy, raw, speed on that period with Paul singing and give it all, the wild guitar solos from Dave and Adrian, the fantastic Clive Burr on drums and Steve with all the bass lines and creativity.

Today is the 40th Anniversary of Killers.
Awesome album, the second with Paul and the first one with Adrian and produced by Martin Birch.
I adore all the tracks on it. On these days my favorite track is Another Life.
I love both worlds with Paul and Bruce. The first one I heard was Bruce on Piece of Mind and Live After Death, but I have to say that I love all the energy, raw, speed on that period with Paul singing and give it all, the wild guitar solos from Dave and Adrian, the fantastic Clive Burr on drums and Steve with all the bass lines and creativity.
Finally someone to give it the love it deserves.

Another Life

Finally someone to give it the love it deserves.
Wow! Never knew it you had it in such high regard. Actually it's one of the songs I ranked lower but that means little since every damned song on the album is great. Killers simply rules from beginning to end.

Ah! I see you also have this one (or something similar):
I have a tape with that gig somewhere but obviously now whenever I want to give that bootleg a spin I go to the Youtube version. It's fantastic.
And I really liked the one posted by @The_7th_one recently as well:
Iron Maiden - Another Life (love the energy at that time)

If interested, Another Life scores high when measuring the relative instrumental length of album songs in the Di'Anno era.

Song info:
Instrumental (%)
01 100,0 Transylvania
01 100,0 Genghis Khan
01 100,0 The Ides of March
04 70,09 Phantom of the Opera
05 65,22 Innocent Exile
06 65,17 Another Life

More here:
The Balance between Instrumental and Vocal Length (first two albums)

Innocent Exile is one of my favorites too, maybe the second one.
It's a shame that Another Life from Bremen was cut at the end

Last edited:
There's a new version of the full show in very good quality that Beat Club posted on youtube themselves in the last year or two, do a search for Iron Maiden Beat Club Bremen
Thank you, I'll do it
Edit:
Got it, I forget that I downloaded some time ago. The whole show, Thanks!

Last edited:
Back