Killers: Album Discussion

I'd have loved to have been at that concert. I bet it was.........
awesome.

:ninja:

I'd have loved to have been at that concert. I bet it was.........
awesome.

:ninja:

After the first four Italian shows they started to cut down on Killers material. 8 for the Rainbow show and 6 for the Ruskin Arms show. Was very surprised they had Another Life and Drifter back in 2005, but they could have done more from Killers. One of the greatest albums from the 80's. Was lucky to see Paul play the whole thing in 2009.

Last edited:
I'm new here and am also a new Maiden fan. It's been nonstop Maiden for about a month now for me, and I just found Killers yesterday. Right off, the production sounded a lot cleaner and tighter than on the debut, but I'm not sure how I felt about that. The production on the first really fit (especially Paul's voice, which was raw and untamed), so I wish that the production on Killers was a bit more like it. However, the songs were a bit better I feel. I love everything from Wrathchild to Killers, and the rest is pretty solid, too. It still needs to settle for me, but it's a great album that captured my attention much quicker than Piece of Mind did (I only know the first five as of now, and Powerslave is definitely my favorite).

I'm new here and am also a new Maiden fan. It's been nonstop Maiden for about a month now for me, and I just found Killers yesterday. Right off, the production sounded a lot cleaner and tighter than on the debut, but I'm not sure how I felt about that. The production on the first really fit (especially Paul's voice, which was raw and untamed), so I wish that the production on Killers was a bit more like it. However, the songs were a bit better I feel. I love everything from Wrathchild to Killers, and the rest is pretty solid, too. It still needs to settle for me, but it's a great album that captured my attention much quicker than Piece of Mind did (I only know the first five as of now, and Powerslave is definitely my favorite).
Just wait 'til you get to The X Factor. :yes::ok:

Yesterday I came across an article ''How Maiden made TNOTB album''. When I was reading it, I read one interesting thing/fact? that Steve have said about the Killers album: https://www.loudersound.com/features/the-beastly-side-of-iron-maiden

Steve Harris: There was a lot of pressure. Not only did we have a new singer, we had no material. The first album was like a ‘best of’ of the songs we’d been playing during the first four years of the band. The second album was mainly early stuff as well, apart from maybe four songs. When we got to the third album we had nothing. We had to write from scratch. Pressure helps to make you come up with the goods. But you have to go through hell to get there.

I thought the only new songs for this album were ''Murders In The Rue Morgue'' and ''Prodigal Son''.

Yesterday I came across an article ''How Maiden made TNOTB album''. When I was reading it, I read one interesting thing/fact? that Steve have said about the Killers album: https://www.loudersound.com/features/the-beastly-side-of-iron-maiden

Steve Harris: There was a lot of pressure. Not only did we have a new singer, we had no material. The first album was like a ‘best of’ of the songs we’d been playing during the first four years of the band. The second album was mainly early stuff as well, apart from maybe four songs. When we got to the third album we had nothing. We had to write from scratch. Pressure helps to make you come up with the goods. But you have to go through hell to get there.

I thought the only new songs for this album were ''Murders In The Rue Morgue'' and ''Prodigal Son''.
Once again, Prodigal Son is from the 70s, and not new at all. Killers would count as new, because by "early stuff" Steve obviously means pre-contract material they played in the 70s. Genghis Khan should be the third and the only option I see for no. 4 is Twilight Zone.

Once again, Prodigal Son is from the 70s, and not new at all. Killers would count as new, because by "early stuff" Steve obviously means pre-contract material they played in the 70s. Genghis Khan should be the third and the only option I see for no. 4 is Twilight Zone.

But ''Killers'' was played in 1980 (Live at Rainbow video) - with different lyrics.

Agree about ''Genghis Khan'' and ''Twilight Zone'', because to my knowledge they were not played live by the band in the 70's. And yeah, since there is a lawsuit for ''Prodigal Son'' lyrics, the song was written prior to the Killers album.

So the 4 songs that Steve talked about are: Murders In The Rue Morgue, Genghis Khan, Twilight Zone and.... ???

Live at the rainbow wasn't released until after the Killers album. And they didn't start playing it live until late in 1980 so I think it's definitely one of the tracks Steve means.

Killers was that 4th new song. The first time it was played it was announced as a new song that was written. This was sometime in 1980 after the first album.

Live at the rainbow wasn't released until after the Killers album. And they didn't start playing it live until late in 1980 so I think it's definitely one of the tracks Steve means.
Killers was that 4th new song. The first time it was played it was announced as a new song that was written. This was sometime in 1980 after the first album.
That's what I meant, yes. My bad for not explaining it clearly enough, @Kalata. Not part of the 70s stuff, thus new.

Does anyone own any of the vinyl reissues of Killers from the last decade or so? Wondering what the inner sleeve has. In my vinyl, I bought back around 1983, it was clear plastic.

The black vinyl inner sleeve is plain black with a circle cut out in the centre to see the label of the record. My pic disc reissue is still sealed unfortunately.

I have several presses from the 80's, UK orginal, US Original and UK Fame press all have cream paper inner sleeve, and the Orig Australia Press has clear plastic with one edge curved. 2000's US Hot Topic release pic disc has no inner sleeve just a single card back.

Sad that they never went the exact mile on the reissues and printed lyrics like they did on the cd reissue in the 90s

Back