Killers: Album Discussion

Re-listened this summer:
  1. The Ides of March: 6/7 - IM's only instrumental intro has a solemn sound that frankly has little to do with the rest of the album
  2. Wrathchild: 8.5 - despite its pretty linear structure, there is a very good reason it became a classic; this was freshly dark and new
  3. Murders in the Rue Morgue: 8.5 - solid track, great riffing, great pace, only thing is the punk interlude that sounds a bit out of place; also it's almost a second opener (and they precisely used it as an opener), maybe they should've moved it at the beginning of Side B
  4. Another Life: 4 - obscene filler, one thing I'll never forgive them is that they played it in 2005 instead of - say - Prodigal Son; I mean it WAS unexpected but Jeez, out of all the tracks you have, you choose ANOTHER LIFE??
  5. Genghis Khan: 8/9 - the best track so far, and the best Clive we have ever had on an Iron Maiden record; so long, Clive
  6. Innocent Exile: 5 - the sequel to Murders in the Rue Morgue is musically closer to Wrathchild and qualitatively to Another Life, the only thing that truly stands out are the bass riff and the harmonies; next one please
  7. Killers: 8/9 - GREAT track, GREAT riff, GREAT performance by Paul, GREAT solos
  8. Prodigal Son: 8/9 - WHY•THE•HELL•THEY•DIDN'T•PLAY•IT•IN•2005•(nor in any other tour)
  9. Purgatory: 7/8 - good fast track, very good middle section, not a fan of repeated verses tho
  10. Drifter: 6.5 - a bit under the general quality of the last three but a respectable track nonetheless
Bonus:
  • Twilight Zone: 6 - another filler, but I like the general vibe and the harmonies
Overall: 7+ /10 - the typical second, transitional album

Last edited:
Innocent Exile: 5 - the sequel to Murders in the Rue Morgue is musically closer to Wrathchild and qualitatively to Another Life, the only thing that truly stands out is the bass intro and the harmonies; next one please
Hardly. "Innocent Exile" is the oldest Iron Maiden song (though originally the bass and the guitars swapped parts in the intro) while "Murders in the Rue Morgue" was written for the album. ;)

I don't agree with everything, but that's a fair review anyway. :)

Back