Jupz's Top 50!

4. When the Wild Wind Blows
This is one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard. As this was the first album I followed by Maiden, I was really attached to it. When I first heard the second clean guitar tune that comes on I nearly cried, it was probably the most emotional I've ever felt from a piece of music. This song is something different for Maiden but at the same time, still carries many of their unique characteristics. Bruce sounds incredible on this track. The vocal melodies are amazing all the way through, particularly the "The picture on the wall..." bit. Some awesome guitar melodies here and the solos are just perfect. The ending is very emotional aswell. The whole thing is really just stunning. I was so happy I got to see this live, and although I would have actually preferred to see IOA live, this one worked great too. The story in the song I find really compelling and sad, and although lyrically, the metaphors are not as good as in other songs, Steve still manages to do justice to the story.

2. Brave New World
This is one of Maiden's two "perfect" albums. They really gave it their all on this album. All the songs sound so emotional and heartfelt. This album is Bruces best performance on a studio album IMO. Some truly beautiful moments on the album, from Blood Brothers to Out of the Silent Planet to the Title track.

My number 1 album is obvious now :)
Any guesses as for top 3 songs?

Jupz said:
This is one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard. As this was the first album I followed by Maiden, I was really attached to it. When I first heard the second clean guitar tune that comes on I nearly cried, it was probably the most emotional I've ever felt from a piece of music. This song is something different for Maiden but at the same time, still carries many of their unique characteristics. Bruce sounds incredible on this track. The vocal melodies are amazing all the way through, particularly the "The picture on the wall..." bit. Some awesome guitar melodies here and the solos are just perfect. The ending is very emotional aswell. The whole thing is really just stunning. I was so happy I got to see this live, and although I would have actually preferred to see IOA live, this one worked great too. The story in the song I find really compelling and sad, and although lyrically, the metaphors are not as good as in other songs, Steve still manages to do justice to the story.

2. Brave New World
This is one of Maiden's two "perfect" albums. They really gave it their all on this album. All the songs sound so emotional and heartfelt. This album is Bruces best performance on a studio album IMO. Some truly beautiful moments on the album, from Blood Brothers to Out of the Silent Planet to the Title track.

1.Hallowed
2.Rime
3.Brighter than 1000 suns

It's been fun reading this list, i've said before that it's really interesting to see how massive fans of the same band can have wildly differing opinions on which of their songs are the geatest, and now the tension begins to mount as we eagerly await the top three songs!  :yey:

Jupz, a big thumbs up for this one.
Unexpected and well deserved.
Number two on my list.

i may do one of these soon if anyone would be interested. theres a few blasphemies on mine though so i may do all studio songs.      back to jupz, i can only agree on favourite album but personally not a massive wtwwb fan but its grown on me after seeing bruce mess up the lyrics twice live, i put it around 37 for me  ;)

mckindog said:
Jupz, a big thumbs up for this one.
Unexpected and well deserved.
Number two on my list.
Looks like our lists are closer coming down to the finish! :ok:

Thanks for all the responses guys :)

Jupz said:

2. Brave New World

4, 2? And 3? :)

Some more confusion, I'm afraid..  :D

Jupz said:
15. Killers
Killers is my least favourite album for several reasons. The first, and most obvious, is that the songs are simply not good enough to match up to other albums. Although some other albums have worse songs, they also have some gems that lift them above Killers. Another reason is that I think Di'Anno's voice does not suit this album as well as it did their debut, besides the title track. Overall, this album has some good songs but really overall it is just too weak.

+

Jupz said:
14. No Prayer for the Dying
Another pretty bad album in my opinion, with 6 or so filler songs. The only songs I actually like are the title track, Mother Russia and Public Enema, with Run Silent Run Deep being just alright in my opinion, same with Fates Warning. Much like Killers, it is simply song quality that lets them down, a big factor for this being Adrian's departure and Bruce's more raspy vocal style.

+

Jupz said:
13. Fear of the Dark
This album is better than No Prayer because it has a couple more good songs. However, the falls are worse than No Prayer in my opinion, so even though it just edges over, it has far more good tracks (Childhood's End, Judas Be My Guide, Afraid to Shoot Strangers, Be Quick or Be Dead, Wasting Love, Fear of the Dark). Bruce continues in his raspy style, which doesn't do nearly as much for me.

+

Jupz said:
11. Dance of Death
This is the last of the "bad" Maiden albums in my opinion. The only blemish to the reunion era, this album simply contains too much filler to be considered one of Maiden's better albums.  However, it does have a few of the bands best songs - Paschendale, and Rainmaker, as well as some other classics in the title track and No More Lies. It's simply too inconsistent as an album to be ranked any higher. And the cover art is horrible   :down:

+

Jupz said:
11. The Number of the Beast
This is where there is a huge gap in the album countdown, because I find The Number of the Beast far superior to Dance of Death. All the albums from here to #6 are pretty well even. Anyway, this one has some huge classics but is let down my some of Maiden's weakest songs (Invaders, Gangland). A few just above-average songs (Run to the Hills, 22 Acacia Avenue, Total Eclipse) land it at the bottom of this pile of albums.

This is a totally insanely awesome list Jupz.  But it shocked me to hear you refer to Losfer Words Big Ora as "bringing the album down".  That is one of the best pieces of music in Metal/rock history.  Even without Bruce, it is in my top 10 Maiden  songs, easy.  Maybe top five depending on mood.  We are way off on this one. This said, your effort is immense and appreciated.  Can't wait for the finale !!!

I do like Losfer Words, but its not up to the standard as the other 6 for me, sorry :) Very interesting that it would be in your top 10.

3. Revelations
Surprised that no-one guessed this song in my top 3! Anyway, this song is in my top 10 songs of all time (along with the two above it, obviously). Its a relatively simple song but it conveys a sense of mysticism, power and emotion that is completely unique to this song out of any other piece of music I've heard. The lyrics are poetic and maybe my favourite Maiden lyrics (Starblind would be another contender). Bruce's vocal melodies are so powerful here, and the way he sings some lines (like "The smile on his lips"). The soloing in this song is great aswell, and the simple, catchy riffs sieze control whenever Bruce stops singing. The ending is my favourite part however, one of my favourite endings of any song (probably second to Learning to Live by Dream Theater). The way Bruce sings, leading down into the clean guitar tone at the end is  :notworthy: , I can't think of any way to describe it. Lines like "The time has come to close your eyes, still the wind and rain" are just beautiful. It would be amazing to see this one live one day, although I think it would be impossible to capture the perfection of emotions and mysticism that is the studio version. I'm struggling to think of more to say about the song, but I can't think of anything. Just a monster of a song.

Back