Jupz's Top 50!

6. The Longest Day
This track is amazing. The intro is one of the most chilling, evil things ever and competes with Paschendales intro. Bruces voice really enhances this too. The pre-chorus and chorus are simply some of Bruces best moments, with the pre-chorus emulating the ferocity, chaotic, fast-paced battle and the chorus wailing out a sad, mourning tune. The solos in this song are amazing, though short, I enjoy them every time. The main guitar melody in the instrumental section is awesome, one of the best from the album (surpassed only by a couple on The Legacy and The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg). The little repeat of the intro at the end is very powerful, and I wonder if Paschendale would have ended better if it had no vocals at the end either. Anyway, this war epic would be incredible to see live, but I doubt I will ever get the chance to see it. The lyrics are awesome, and I feel this one even tops Paschendale (not an easy feat!). :)

The Mid-Distance Runner said:
Well done Jupzy! You have absolutely nailed this review. The Longest Day hovers within my top 5...nice review!

agreed 100%. This is easily one of Maiden's most underrated songs. Prob my favorite off AMOLAD and AMOLAD is my 2nd favorite Maiden album....behind only Powerslave...

david2380 said:
agreed 100%. This is easily one of Maiden's most underrated songs. Prob my favorite off AMOLAD and AMOLAD is my 2nd favorite Maiden album....behind only Powerslave...
Good man!  :ok:

Cheers guys!

Jupz..I wonder if we are thinking the same on albums...
my top 3...
1) Powerslave
2) AMOLAD
large gap to # 3..
3) Brave new World

Jupz said:
6. The Longest Day
This track is amazing. The intro is one of the most chilling, evil things ever and competes with Paschendales intro. Bruces voice really enhances this too. The pre-chorus and chorus are simply some of Bruces best moments, with the pre-chorus emulating the ferocity, chaotic, fast-paced battle and the chorus wailing out a sad, mourning tune. The solos in this song are amazing, though short, I enjoy them every time. The main guitar melody in the instrumental section is awesome, one of the best from the album (surpassed only by a couple on The Legacy and The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg). The little repeat of the intro at the end is very powerful, and I wonder if Paschendale would have ended better if it had no vocals at the end either. Anyway, this war epic would be incredible to see live, but I doubt I will ever get the chance to see it. The lyrics are awesome, and I feel this one even tops Paschendale (not an easy feat!). :)

Fabulous review and love the fact that it's this high for you. It's one of my favourites too, and I think it equals Paschendale (obviously in a very different way). I also think it's an overlooked gem, given that AMOLAD has so many.  :ok: from me, definitely a top 10. A song I could never get sick of listening to, it fits every mood.

Both worthy top 10 song selections.
THe Longest Day was a top 10 for me a few years ago, but dropped to number 20 during my daily song ranking.
Children of the Damned is 17 — the lowest ranked of all the Maiden songs I gave 10s to.

5. Aces High
This is one of my favourite album openers ever, and probably the song I would have to open my dream setlist (along with Churchills Speech). The intro tune is one of my favourite guitar licks ever. This track is quite special to me. Its the first song I really learnt to play on guitar and is still my favourite to play. Although The Wicker Man was the first song that got me into Maiden, this one really sealed the deal for me. I remember the first day it clicked for me, I had never liked any piece of music more at the time. The chorus is my second favourite of all-time; Bruce's vocals are awe-inspiring, I just feel such a surge of emotions every time I hear the chorus, even though its not a particularly emotional song. The solo is definitely one of Maiden's best, really excellent work. This song has never suffered from my constant overlistening (my 4th most played Maiden song, The Wicker Man is my most played). This would be #1 on my wishlist of songs to see live from any band, no exceptions. The way it transitions from "Never surrender" into the opening tune is simply  :notworthy:

3. Powerslave
This album used to be my favourite, but I realised it was clearly a level below the other two - I was simply placing it on a pedestal because of its popularity. The "big 4" of the album let it contend with any other album, and Flash of the Blade and The Duellists are right up there. Its the other two that let it down a bit. Losfer Words is pretty good, about the same as "Die With Your Boots On", but Back in the Village isn't very good, similiar to "Quest For Fire" for me. Anyway, this album still rules, and it has the best cover art ever.

Huge difference there. 39th in my book and its place is getting lower and lower with every update.

Powerslave album is my first major disagreement with your rankings. To me, it is hands down the best maiden album.The intro breaks in powerslave and Rime is some of the most beautiful music I've ever heard  ...any genre. I view this music as symphonies, not metal. I think we both agree on the top 3...brave new World and AMOLAD being the other top 2...but I can, in no way, put these 2 above Powerslave..

Yes, the last two songs are incredible, but as I said the other few songs let down the album a bit :) Good to see we have the same top 3 though! :)

Back