Jupz's Top 50!

The list took me 6 months to make after I got the idea from a friend :p When I was bored I would just consider songs to add and change some around. When I started, Blood Red Skies by Priest was #1. About a month later I changed it to Metropolis (started at #2) and that hasn't changed since :) The top 5 has remained the same (although the order has changed around), besides one Maiden track has been swapped with another at #6. (Not going to reveal what they are :p).

Anyway, heres the daily update :)

29. The Clansman
The fan favourite from Virtual XI, and for good reason. This track has a great buildup. Blaze starts by singing very softly, almost in the background, before getting louder and eventually bursting out with a headbanging "FREEDOM!". I always feel like punching my fist in the air at the chorus :D The guitar work here is good, both solos, melodies and clean guitar. One of the few longer songs I find that has the ability to carry a lot of energy whilst remaining "epic". Another track I think is built for Blaze's voice, particularly the "FREEDOM!"s.

28. Strange World

This track is rediculously underrated, and its one of my favourites from the debut. Its still growing on me heavily, and I imagine if you asked me in a few months it would be higher still. This one just has a different feeling to any other song I've encountered. It just feels... strange somehow :p The clean guitar at the start sets the mood, and the guitar solo at the start is amazing, same with the one in the middle. Both of these count as some of my favourite Maiden solos and my favourite all-time. The best guitar solo Dennis Stratton did in Maiden in my opinion. I wonder if this one would be better with Bruce, and I think if he nailed it could be in the top 20. Paul does a fine job however, and his vocals enhance that wierd feeling the song has. The final thing that enhances the strange feeling is the lyrics, parts like "Living here, you'll never grow old". Fantastic song.

27. Rime of the Ancient Mariner

:eek: Shock and horror! The beloved Rime not even in the top 25! This pick I'm sure will be fairly blasphemous. Anyway, to be perfectly honest, the reason it is so low is the first part does not connect with me that well. There are times when I love it, and the song would be higher - I love playing along to it on guitar, but when I'm just listening I can't get that same feeling. However, its still a solid section, the middle part is great too, Steve creates a great sense of forboding and the buildup to "Down in falls comes the RAAAAAIIIIIINNNN!" is my favourite Maiden moment. One of my favourite solos follows, under which runs a fantastic riff, probably my favourite riff ever under a solo. The ending is also pretty solid. If the whole song was as good as the buildup after the middle section, it would probably be #1, or at the least in my top 3. But I've never connected with this song as much as probably some others have. Maybe in the future the rest of it will click for me. The story is awesome too.

11. Dance of Death

This is the last of the "bad" Maiden albums in my opinion. The only blemish to the reunion era, this album simply contains too much filler to be considered one of Maiden's better albums.  However, it does have a few of the bands best songs - Paschendale, and Rainmaker, as well as some other classics in the title track and No More Lies. It's simply too inconsistent as an album to be ranked any higher. And the cover art is horrible   :down:

Rime at 25 ? Well this countdown is just dead to me  :p

The Clansman : 37th
Strange World : 74th
Rime of the Ancient Mariner : 1st :D

Strange World is one of the few Maiden tracks that I've never been able to get into. 143, yep, second to last.
Clansman and Rime are 6 and 13.

mckindog said:
Strange World is one of the few Maiden tracks that I've never been able to get into. 143, yep, second to last.
Clansman and Rime are 6 and 13.
Second to last?!?! Wow, thats something I couldn't imagine :p

Jupz said:

28. Strange World

This track is rediculously underrated, and its one of my favourites from the debut. Its still growing on me heavily, and I imagine if you asked me in a few months it would be higher still. This one just has a different feeling to any other song I've encountered. It just feels... strange somehow :p The clean guitar at the start sets the mood, and the guitar solo at the start is amazing, same with the one in the middle. Both of these count as some of my favourite Maiden solos and my favourite all-time. The best guitar solo Dennis Stratton did in Maiden in my opinion. I wonder if this one would be better with Bruce, and I think if he nailed it could be in the top 20. Paul does a fine job however, and his vocals enhance that wierd feeling the song has. The final thing that enhances the strange feeling is the lyrics, parts like "Living here, you'll never grow old". Fantastic song.

27. Rime of the Ancient Mariner

:eek: Shock and horror! The beloved Rime not even in the top 25! This pick I'm sure will be fairly blasphemous. Anyway, to be perfectly honest, the reason it is so low is the first part does not connect with me that well. There are times when I love it, and the song would be higher - I love playing along to it on guitar, but when I'm just listening I can't get that same feeling. However, its still a solid section, the middle part is great too, Steve creates a great sense of forboding and the buildup to "Down in falls comes the RAAAAAIIIIIINNNN!" is my favourite Maiden moment. One of my favourite solos follows, under which runs a fantastic riff, probably my favourite riff ever under a solo. The ending is also pretty solid. If the whole song was as good as the buildup after the middle section, it would probably be #1, or at the least in my top 3. But I've never connected with this song as much as probably some others have. Maybe in the future the rest of it will click for me. The story is awesome too.

I loved strange world, it's in my top ten. Rime is favorite Maiden song.

I'm just glad that these rankings are just your opinion and not fact! :p

Clansman - 10th
Rime - 3rd
Strange World - Somewhere, but not in my top 75 (and currently too lazy to look it up)

You've got to give us your bottom 10 some time.
I wonder if SMX has ever done a reverse survivor to determine the most most hated or least loved Maiden songs.

At least he has some decent music, and quite good vocals.

I think you're right, cause FITK (I never dare to mention it's full name) isn't even a song.

Both songs aren't that bad, IMO. Compared to shit like Innocent Exile and Twilight Zone, FITK and The Assassin are masterpieces.

Top 5 Maiden's worst song IMO off the top of my head:

FITK
Gates Of Tomorrow
Hooks In You
Don't Look To The Eyes Of A Stranger
The Apparition

The Assassin would rank about 20 places after this.

Innocent Exile 30+

Twilight Zone 50+

Top 5 Maiden's worst song IMO off the top of my head:
Weekend Warrior
Innocent Exile
Purgatory
Twilight Zone
The Apparition

Wow, I'm actually surprised by Purgatory, as I think it's one of the better songs for sure.  :blink:

But anyway, it's your opinion and I respect it.

Back