Judas Priest

3. Tony Newton has been practising his "cool METAL bass player stance" in front of a mirror.
hahaha yes. Totally Agree.
Anyway. The song is good but it needs something more, I don't know…
They must have to put all their money to make the video

Yes, the drummer is questionable, the fill at 1:00 is off. Also same fill every 10 seconds.

Song is stock and the production is quite messy but the main riff is fine. They should've developed more from that rhytmic picking pattern.

This is great, although the repeated breakdown thing isn't my cup of tea, but it's a minor gripe.
A couple of observations though.
1. The riff is very similar to Nostradamus' main riff.
I like it. This is a single-type of song (great riff and good chorus, solos and twin-lead harmony... the verses are metal). Not only the riff but the whole song has a Nostradamus/Angel Of Retribution vibe imo.

More info for the album:
Track list:

1.Incarnation
2.Hellfire Thunderbolt
3.Sermons Of The Sinner
4.Sacerdote Y Diablo
5.Raise Your Fists
6.Brothers Of The Road (according to K.K. - it has the vibe of ''You've Got Another Thing Comin''')
7.Metal Through And Through
8.Wild And Free
9.Hail For The Priest
10.Return Of The Sentinel (this is a 9-minute sequel to ''The Sentinel'')

- Downing spent four months writing and recording Sermons Of The Sinner and, along with new ideas, he even resurrected a few archived riffs from the ‘80s.

- He says the “sinner” in the title refers to his famous solo in that Priest song.

album cover.jpg
Not having Les Binks playing on the album is a bummer.
- They have plans to tour later this year with the new album, some Ripper-era Priest songs and Priest classics tossed into the mix. These select shows will mark the 50th anniversary of Priest and Downing's career as a founding member.

Binks hopes to make appearances at shows. “Les was able to do the short set at the Steel Mill,” says Downing. “But he had a wrist injury after that and wasn’t able to do the album. Les wants to jump on the stage and a play a couple of songs, although he is not going to be able to play a full set. He will be our special guest.''

Downing assembled Owens, Mills, former Voodoo Six bassist Tony Newton, and DeathRiders/Cage drummer Sean Elg to create the album.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yax
Very cliched, Ripper can hit notes but his delivery has always been a big turn off for me, very hammy and uncool. The words just remind me of what Priest were missing during the Ripper era. Halford is no poet but he can deliver cliched metal words in a convincing manner, Ripper can't.

The solo section is very good though, good solo, interesting rhythm, bar the twin guitar part in the middle which the melody doesn't work for me.

Yes, the drummer is questionable, the fill at 1:00 is off. Also same fill every 10 seconds.

Song is stock and the production is quite messy but the main riff is fine. They should've developed more from that rhytmic picking pattern.
The production sounds fine for what it is, what cheapens it is the drum sound, which isn't a modern Metal type of drum sound and drags the rest down. Different kind of drum bus compression would help quite a lot with the drums energy, as well as a different snare, or at the very least more overheads and room in the snare sample. As it it, it's a very dull snare. I don't really care though, and I usually do, because I'm just so glad this is happening. If it sounds decent, I'm happy, and it sounds decent enough.

Very cliched, Ripper can hit notes but his delivery has always been a big turn off for me, very hammy and uncool. The words just remind me of what Priest were missing during the Ripper era. Halford is no poet but he can deliver cliched metal words in a convincing manner, Ripper can't.

The solo section is very good though, good solo, interesting rhythm, bar the twin guitar part in the middle which the melody doesn't work for me.

I wholeheartedly agree.

Reactions: Jer
This song is shit. Guitars are okay, but incredibly stock and uninteresting. Ripper still can’t sing with any character other than SHRIEKKKKKKK and the melodies suck (as does his layering). And fuckin’ ‘ell with that drumming…yeesh.

That fill drove me crazy. Only replay value here is to count how many times he uses it.

The song seems like it has potential, in a few spots. Solos, main riff groove. Reminds me of something Testament would have done.

But that drums are...I'm not that versed with drummer terminology, here's an example of a fill.

It's like uneven/irregular thing in a subdivision of a regular beat. The fill at 1:00 from KK song is somewhere between this and an even fill. There's something wrong with the penultimate note in that section.

Maybe a guy had literally 5 minutes to do this in studio. Regardless of the bland drum arrangement, that's an error there. Oh well. Too bad Binks couldn't be in.

The song seems like it has potential, in a few spots. Solos, main riff groove. Reminds me of something Testament would have done.

But that drums are...I'm not that versed with drummer terminology, here's an example of a fill.

It's like uneven/irregular thing in a subdivision of a regular beat. The fill at 1:00 from KK song is somewhere between this and an even fill. There's something wrong with the penultimate note in that section.

Maybe a guy had literally 5 minutes to do this in studio. Regardless of the bland drum arrangement, that's an error there. Oh well. Too bad Binks couldn't be in.
I don't hear it as a huge error, just a bad fill. The production on the low end certainly doesn't help, it robs those final (uneven, irregular) hits of any thunder or prominence. I'd be more inclined to blame production on this one.

I played it 10 to 20 times. I did overthink while putting DT's fill as an example. There is no space in that section to create that kind of a fill.
But it's a definitive bad timing on one note. E.g. not very tight.

This song is growing on me, had it on repeat for part of my workout today - It's a great workout tune. Have to agree though, the lyrics aren't great, and I'm especially thinking about the verses here. What's clear to me though, is that Priest could've retained some of its following during the Ripper years, had they released this instead of Jugulator/Demolition (although I personally love Jugulator, aside from Glenn's atrocious lyrics).

What's clear to me though, is that Priest could've retained some of its following during the Ripper years, had they released this instead of Jugulator/Demolition
Definitely. It would have been close to the traditional style of Priest (Ripper's voice is similar to Rob's voice and they probably would have made more songs in the style of the previous album, which at that time was Painkiller - very successful album, why changing the style... again).

Although maybe the style of the Jugulator album was a logical continuation of the band - speed metal (1990) > thrash metal (1997 & 2001) > back to heavy metal (2005). Or maybe this was because of the new vocalist, who knows. They were not afraid to change styles through their career (POE, Turbo, Painkiller, Nostradamus).

Is that Priest could've retained some of its following during the Ripper years, had they released this instead of Jugulator/Demolition (although I personally love Jugulator, aside from Glenn's atrocious lyrics).

I was 16 when Jugulator came out, I was aware of the existence of Judas Priest but wasn't a fan and didn't know anyone who was a fan. I just remember me and my mates reading Kerrang and howling laughing that the frontman was being called Ripper. Everything was so out of sync with what was current in Metal at the time.

I was 16 when Jugulator came out, I was aware of the existence of Judas Priest but wasn't a fan and didn't know anyone who was a fan. I just remember me and my mates reading Kerrang and howling laughing that the frontman was being called Ripper. Everything was so out of sync with what was current in Metal at the time.

Blimey, you are a spring chicken mate!

I got into Judas Priest around the time they released Painkiller, but what really hooked me was Sin After Sin (my dad had the LP at home). The opening track still gives me a hard on (without any pills) 30 years later!

:edmetal:

Last edited:
When Jugulator came out it got 90% in Aardschok metal magazine, it was album of the month. It was very unmelodic and way too heavy for me, not the Priest I wanted to hear that time...

I didn't get into Priest until around 2002 when I started posting on Maiden forums and realised that a huge amount of Maiden fans considered them peers, so I picked up Metal Works to give them a shot, and the rest as they say is history. Before that I had got into Metal in 91, so they had never released anything with Halford on it in that period, never had any hits or anything catch my eye, I probably had heard the choruses of Breaking the Law and Living After Midnight at most. Most of the bands you'ld discover from getting a copied tape from someone who was already a fan, and they didn't seem to have many fans in the mid 90's and no one I knew. So they had appeared to me in the 90's, with a tiny amount of evidence to judge them on, as a dated, ridiculous band, kind of almost like what most people would think of Manowar.

Back