Judas Priest

Yes, muddy is the word I was looking for. I think what improves a lot or saves this song is the epic feel, I like that a lot. The song is haunting me already and I actually enjoy it, but the production really is a bit disturbing.

"Hell Patrol" is a song with similar drums and tempo, another faintly reminding one could be "Judas Rising".

I'm not a Priest fan, but I gave this a listen anyway and was surprised because I think it's alright. Especially the bridge section. That said, why does it sound like an unmastered B-side from 1988?

I'm not a Priest fan, but I gave this a listen anyway and was surprised because I think it's alright. Especially the bridge section. That said, why does it sound like an unmastered B-side from 1988?

I dunno... maybe this isn't the final version of the song, and it's actually a demo or unmastered version, but I suspect it is the final version, although I hope it isn't...

It took a while before I liked Made of Metal but I do enjoy it these days, and tbh this track with a tweak to the guitar sound wouldn't be too out of place there. I prefer all of Nostradamus to it, and I think the only one that really comes close on AoR is Revolution.

Do wish that chorus had more of the traditional Halford scream to it though.

I'm afraid it is but we can hope.

Honestly, with a better sound, and longer solo, I'd be calling this a great Priest track instead of just a good one. Even as it is, it's good, but it's missing that special something to elevate it to a higher plateau which is occupied by the likes of Painkiller, Tyrant, and Freewheel Burning.

The new track does not do much for me, I hope the rest of the album is better. This sounds like Judas Priest post-Painkiller by the numbers

Yeah, the big problem I have with the song is its production. Rob is playing to his strengths vocally here by sticking with his lower/mid-range and I like the song musically. It just needs that extra 'oomph' sonically to make it work.

It took a while before I liked Made of Metal but I do enjoy it these days, and tbh this track with a tweak to the guitar sound wouldn't be too out of place there. I prefer all of Nostradamus to it, and I think the only one that really comes close on AoR is Revolution.

Do wish that chorus had more of the traditional Halford scream to it though.

In my opinion Revolution is the worst song on AoR. Is that what you meant or did you mean it's the best?

Yeah, the big problem I have with the song is its production. Rob is playing to his strengths vocally here by sticking with his lower/mid-range and I like the song musically. It just needs that extra 'oomph' sonically to make it work.

My biggest problem with the song is definitely the production. It's a bit flat and lacks punch.

Some of that is the streaming version I'd think. Hopefully it sounds of more on the actual album.

I actually didn't think of that! lol It is possible that the stream of the song is in low quality, which could be the reason for the weird guitar sound, and lack of oomph. Hopefully the sound will be a lot better on the album version. It may not be as epoch making as many of their past tracks, but it is a good song, and deserves a better sound than the one in that stream.

I actually didn't think of that! lol It is possible that the stream of the song is in low quality, which could be the reason for the weird guitar sound, and lack of oomph. Hopefully the sound will be a lot better on the album version. It may not be as epoch making as many of their past tracks, but it is a good song, and deserves a better sound than the one in that stream.

Absolutely right. The song is growing on me already :D. I think, though, that this simplistic build and way of playing will be heard throughout the album (with the exception of some faster cool-guitar-solo songs) because of what the guys have said: "we will give you classic Priest..." meaning that there's really not much new.

Absolutely right. The song is growing on me already :D. I think, though, that this simplistic build and way of playing will be heard throughout the album (with the exception of some faster cool-guitar-solo songs) because of what the guys have said: "we will give you classic Priest..." meaning that there's really not much new.

Same here! The more I hear it, the more I like it. And it's a good sign when a song can shine through even when the sound is poor quality. :)

I hope there are some faster, more up-tempo songs on the album, which in turn, will help songs like this one to stand out more. I do have a feeling the song will come into it's own in a full album context. One of the areas where "Nostradamus" was lacking, was that there were hardly any high-tempo songs on it, and on such a long album, with so many songs, that was something that helped to drag the album down. With the new album having 18 songs on it, I hope that at least 5 or 6 of them are faster. That will really help songs like "Redeemer Of Souls" to shine. :)

Those "tasters" are meant to please the fans, but I'm not sure they are a great idea. I can clearly remember how much I was upset with many Maiden's singles : I thought that Flight of Icarus, Two Minutes to Midnight, Wayted Years and Can I Play with Madness were all awful, but they said nothing about the quality of the forthcoming album. Hopefully it's the same thing here.

I'm loving the song and the recording sounds just fine to me! It would be nice if it had more screaming like Painkiller, but Halford can't really do that very much anymore. Proof of that is the way he's been singing Painkiller in concert since 2005.

I dunno... maybe this isn't the final version of the song, and it's actually a demo or unmastered version, but I suspect it is the final version, although I hope it isn't...
It's suspect a low bitrate mp3 that has been uploaded to youtube, that in turn compresses it even further.

It's suspect a low bitrate mp3 that has been uploaded to youtube, that in turn compresses it even further.

That was my first thought, although I've had that hope for songs in the past (not Priest, just in general) and it's turned out to be the actual sound. If it turns out to be correct it will boost the song quite a bit, although still not anywhere near their best :(

Bands often do have a habit of choosing the worse tracks for singles though, with Priest it tends to be the more commercial songs which leaves the album better overall, particularly for people like us who tend to prefer more intricate songs which wouldn't sit well with the more average listener. The 18 tracks does worry me though, it doesn't leave for a great average song length so unless it's another double and/or with short interludes, I severely doubt we'll see the more usual 6~ minute metal awesomeness.

Back