Judas Priest

It seems Judas Priest would be playing some shows in Australia next year.

R2D8k9E2NeUP4zh4EStw5P-650-80.jpg

I've read bits and pieces of KK's book and the most striking thing to me, which I think any Priest fan probably knows, is how many cool opportunities they squandered by having inadequate management. I'm sure the KK-Glenn disagreements largely started because Jayne Andrews seems solely on the Tipton side and KK seems to bear grudges there with how things were handled. Can't blame him. Can you imagine Priest with management half as decent as Rod? Bands owe success not only due to music.

I'm only on the early years but it's a good quick read. KK really doesn't have many nice things to say about touring with Maiden although he does chock that up to youthful enthusiasm. I'd be interested in an official JP bio to compare but to my knowledge there isn't one.

Halford was managed by Rod. And sacked him, because Rod was pushing him to rejoin Priest similar to how Bruce rejoined Maiden. Then Halford rejoined Priest anyway. D'oh!

More interesting quotes from K.K. -> http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/k-...s-priests-sinner-better-than-richie-faulkner/

Asked by Please Kill Me what he thought of Hill's justification for why K.K. wasn't contacted about coming back to PRIEST, Downing said: "I'm a guitar player. Richie's a guitar player. We know exactly what's gonna happen. I resume my normal position and Richie takes over on Glenn's side of the stage, and we just become JUDAS PRIEST again. And Richie doesn't have to play 'Sinner', because I can do it better than him… because I'm the originator. Richie does a great job, but I can play it and perform it better than him. It would be better for the people, because they remember me doing it all of their lives, for God's sakes, which is decades. It would just be better for them to see me do it than Richie doing it."

He continued: "You can see me and Richie up there working and playing and performing pretty damn good together because I would make sure that we were ripping across that stage like there was no tomorrow. It is what it is, though. The guys are on tour [in the U.S.] now with DEEP PURPLE and they're gonna be out there with Ozzy [Osbourne] in the U.K. next year. So it is what it is. But that was the severest thing I've heard Ian say. Would I be interested in going back there and having Richie play my parts while I play Glenn's? I'm sorry, but the answer is no. Andy [Sneap, who is replacing Tipton on the current tour] is great. I consider him a mate, and I've been up to his studio, and he's great. But even if that happened, do the people want to see Andy playing Glenn's parts or do they want to see me?"

Downing
went on to say: "People want to relive. I'm exactly the same. When I go see a band now, whether it's UFO or SCORPIONS, I want to see the original band members. I want to see them out there for as long as I possibly can, if there's an option. Because we all go back remembering the days when we first saw the band, and that's what we paid the ticket for. But one of the reasons I wrote the book" — referring to his just-released autobiography, "Heavy Duty: Days And Nights In Judas Priest" — "is I'm just sick of those guys trying to kind of bury me through the Internet. I really don't know what the deal is. It's stemming from somewhere. It's heartbreaking to see that going on, ya know. It's unfair, really. It's unfair."

Well, I think Faulkner does a good job with the Sinner solo - here's the two versions to compare (the KK one is from his last playing of this song live):

Last edited:
Good old Kenny is on a roll! Keep the resentment nuggets coming!

:lol: :lol:

K.K. Downing said:
I resume my normal position and Richie takes over on Glenn's side of the stage, and we just become JUDAS PRIEST again.

:lol: :lol:

No Kenny, that should have read as follows:

K.K. Downing should have said:
I resume my normal position and Richie takes over on Glenn's side of the stage, and I just become a member of JUDAS PRIEST again.

Ok, that latest stuff about Sinner, that went too far. "He doesn't have to play Sinner"?

He does have to play Sinner because PRIEST has to play Sinner (as far as I'm concerned). At least: if they want to play it, they can play and thus Faulkner can play it.

With this comment, KK blew it completely.

He’s saying they should play Sinner with KK so KK can play the solo.

That comment is a perfect example of the point I made earlier about KK thinking he is more integral to the band than he really is. The majority of the audience doesn’t care who takes that solo. The majority of Priest fans probably don’t even know who played the solo on the original recording. The fans don’t even care that the band is currently touring without either original guitar players.

Sinner was a major highlight of the show for me btw. Richie not only played the solo well, he improved it in many ways.

The majority of Priest fans probably don’t even know who played the solo on the original recording.
Ahem, I do not think that is correct and I personally think the iconic Unleashed version is the best.

But even if I would prefer Downing's guitar work in some places, it is idiotic to say that Faulkner should not do his leads. He is in the band!

More interesting quotes from K.K. -> http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/k-...s-priests-sinner-better-than-richie-faulkner/

Asked by Please Kill Me what he thought of Hill's justification for why K.K. wasn't contacted about coming back to PRIEST, Downing said: "I'm a guitar player. Richie's a guitar player. We know exactly what's gonna happen. I resume my normal position and Richie takes over on Glenn's side of the stage, and we just become JUDAS PRIEST again. And Richie doesn't have to play 'Sinner', because I can do it better than him… because I'm the originator. Richie does a great job, but I can play it and perform it better than him. It would be better for the people, because they remember me doing it all of their lives, for God's sakes, which is decades. It would just be better for them to see me do it than Richie doing it."

He continued: "You can see me and Richie up there working and playing and performing pretty damn good together because I would make sure that we were ripping across that stage like there was no tomorrow. It is what it is, though. The guys are on tour [in the U.S.] now with DEEP PURPLE and they're gonna be out there with Ozzy [Osbourne] in the U.K. next year. So it is what it is. But that was the severest thing I've heard Ian say. Would I be interested in going back there and having Richie play my parts while I play Glenn's? I'm sorry, but the answer is no. Andy [Sneap, who is replacing Tipton on the current tour] is great. I consider him a mate, and I've been up to his studio, and he's great. But even if that happened, do the people want to see Andy playing Glenn's parts or do they want to see me?"

Downing
went on to say: "People want to relive. I'm exactly the same. When I go see a band now, whether it's UFO or SCORPIONS, I want to see the original band members. I want to see them out there for as long as I possibly can, if there's an option. Because we all go back remembering the days when we first saw the band, and that's what we paid the ticket for. But one of the reasons I wrote the book" — referring to his just-released autobiography, "Heavy Duty: Days And Nights In Judas Priest" — "is I'm just sick of those guys trying to kind of bury me through the Internet. I really don't know what the deal is. It's stemming from somewhere. It's heartbreaking to see that going on, ya know. It's unfair, really. It's unfair."

Well, I think Faulkner does a good job with the Sinner solo - here's the two versions to compare (the KK one is from his last playing of this song live):

I think the 2018 version of Sinner is better than the 2008 version, it's the best since 1982. I saw Priest twice this year so I would know.

I read another article today, were he was talking about Halford going to rehab in the 80's, and he said he hadn't even been aware that Halford was drinking heavily never mind anything harder than that. Doesn't seem that they were in any way close as a band.

I read another article today, were he was talking about Halford going to rehab in the 80's, and he said he hadn't even been aware that Halford was drinking heavily never mind anything harder than that. Doesn't seem that they were in any way close as a band.

If I remember correctly, Rob has said in the past that K.K. did not show any sympathy when he had to go to rehab...

If I remember correctly, Rob has said in the past that K.K. did not show any sympathy when he had to go to rehab...

Actually, here's how Downing recalled the story in 2001:

"I always kinda have a problem with people that have like psychological problems and don't really know how much these people are looking for a little bit of sympathy, or whatever the deal is, you know? It's always kinda hard to take that kind of thing totally serious, but we just went 'round and said, 'Oh, com' on Rob, you know, you look fine, you sound fine, you must be fine.'"

Source (At about the middle of the page in the "November 1985" section)

Back