Judas Priest

A preview of Priest's forthcoming live CD/DVD, 'Battle Cry', went up on Loudwire a few days ago. It was recorded at Wacken last year.

I was trying to work out who had initiated the discussion here of KK potentially returning to Priest. It looks like it came up as part of an interview with him last month. Team Rock ran a piece online on that earlier today, maybe they went to Halford themselves for reaction.

The idea sounds cool, but I am less fond of the way they talk over the head of Richie Faulkner (not mentioning him, nor the consequences).

edit: Sorry, K.K. did talk about Richie.

Obviously they have Richie there. Maiden has done the three-guitar player thing, but I don’t think there’s room for an extra guitar player in Priest. Priest has always been a two-guitar band so I can’t see that working. We’ll have to see what happens next.

It's hard to tell which topics were initiated by KK in the original interview, and what questions he was asked. I personally think dumping Richie would be a poor move, were that ever to be given consideration, having seen how much he contributes to their live performances. He was involved in writing the last album, too, even if Redeemer wasn't universally popular.

The comment about Maiden having 3 guitar players but Priest having always been a 2 guitar band is a bit silly, surely he knows Maiden only had two for 24 years

There's no way Priest would let Richie go in favour of KK returning. The band was on the brink of calling it quits before Richie joined, he put a whole new spark into into their music and their live shows.

Anyway, I'd love to see Judas Priest and Maiden tour together. That'd be phenomenal.

There's no way Priest would let Richie go in favour of KK returning. The band was on the brink of calling it quits before Richie joined, he put a whole new spark into into their music and their live shows.

That's not saying they couldn't do it. That's only saying they would be dicks if they did.

Personally, though I always loved the Tipton/Downing interplay and - gasp! - from time to time actually singled out KK as my favourite, I think things should stay as they are. Unless they would like to try out the three-guitar thing (why not?), which I honestly think could be awesome.

Every band that does not explain why someone has left should shut up about a return. Really, I felt it was dumb that we didn't hear the reason of Downing's departure (I had my own ideas but rather heard the truth), and now, as if it is of no importance to the band themselves(!), this. What is this? A game?

Maybe there was just nothing exciting about it. There's every chance all three of those articles are the result of journalists posing 'what if' questions, rather than KK or anyone else going out of their way to start a discussion.

Well, the most iconic guitar tandem in metal fell apart after 37 years. The reasons must have been serious, and now, all of sudden, everything has changed?
To make a few bucks with the biggest metal tour of all times.

I'm not all that educated in the matter, but I remember something along KK leaving for a semi-retirement, isn't that true?

I think I can imagine he was sick of the life on tour etc. for the last 37 years and now he might be finding out the regular life isn't for him, or whatever.

I wouldn't search too hard for a reason. Yes, Bruce is a loudmouth and steals 'Arry's thunder, but IIRC, there never was this one specific reason for him to leave and this one specific reason for him to return. Same goes for Halford. But maybe my information is incorrect.

I don't think it's that unlikely that K.K. just wanted to retire and the band wanted to go on without him.

Every band that does not explain why someone has left should shut up about a return.

I don't really understand this reasoning. The reasons may have been perfectly clear between Downing and the rest of the band. Why do they need to make it public? What if Downing said that it's his business why he left, and his business to tell the world - why do we need band statements about this?

I actually think it's more mature and diplomatic to keep that sort of thing private. If the band gives their side of the story and then K.K. gives his, suddenly you have people trying to create drama between the two. They don't really owe anybody an explanation.

So you guys find it all very believable that he suddenly comes out of retirement or has the drive again, if it were the biggest tour ever?
He wanted to quit when things went worse, but such a prospect of a successful tour turns everything around?
Integrity my ass.

I don't really understand this reasoning. The reasons may have been perfectly clear between Downing and the rest of the band. Why do they need to make it public? What if Downing said that it's his business why he left, and his business to tell the world - why do we need band statements about this?
I personally do. Fans are into bands. They are passionate about bands. If Dave Murray would suddenly quit without explaining it well, that hurts. Dave doesn't own me a thing, but it is a decent thing to do. I am not a fan of people ending things without explaining it. It is very much against my nature. I find it a very negative, rude thing to do.

Leaving and coming back with dollar signs in the eyes is not a decent thing to do.

There are situations in which people need a break from things, and going out public is the very last thing they want to do.

Realistically, there probably isn't the prospect of a tour like this. I still read it as someone specifically asking him: "What would it take to convince you to rejoin Priest?"
His answer: a stadium tour featuring the likes of Sabbath, Maiden and Priest.

“It would be something I would have to be part of,” he says. “Only because I’d like to see the greatest heavy-metal tour happen because it’s never happened. And it’s never gonna happen. Unfortunately, that chapter of history won’t be there forever, which is kind of sad.”

http://blastecho.com/theres-one-way-to-guarantee-k-k-downing-returns-to-judas-priest/

Back