Judas Priest

That sounds like a cross between Resurrection, the best Priest album Priest never made and Crucible.
I agree, Resurrection is a great album. A (heavy) mix of Resurrection & Angel Of Retribution is the style of the album that should have been a follow up to Painkiller with Rob.

That sounds like a cross between Resurrection, the best Priest album Priest never made and Crucible.
The first thing I noticed too! Specially Resurrection (title track) has similar style of vocals.

If this is just a bonus track then I believe, the album may go toe-to-toe against Firepower or may even surpass it!

Anyway, talking about Ripper, I'm not super into his two albums with Priest either (even though I do blast "Blood Stained" from Jugulator often) but they definitely went for a new sound in both. Jugulator has some Fear Factory inspired riffs and I do actually like the Nu Metal/Alternative take in Demolition.

You should check out Charred Walls Of The Damned for some quality Ripper vocals (its actually a supergroup with a crazy lineup).

I personally think Jugulator is a stellar record, only let down by Tipton's awful lyrics. Demolition has some pretty good tracks too. Hell is Home is the album highlight, Machine Man, One on One, Jeckyl and Hyde, Close to You, Feed on Me, Lost and Found and Cyberface are all decent or good tracks, but Metal Messiah is probably one of the worst ever Priest songs.

The first thing I noticed too! Specially Resurrection (title track) has similar style of vocals.

If this is just a bonus track then I believe, the album may go toe-to-toe against Firepower or may even surpass it!

Anyway, talking about Ripper, I'm not super into his two albums with Priest either (even though I do blast "Blood Stained" from Jugulator often) but they definitely went for a new sound in both. Jugulator has some Fear Factory inspired riffs and I do actually like the Nu Metal/Alternative take in Demolition.

You should check out Charred Walls Of The Damned for some quality Ripper vocals (its actually a supergroup with a crazy lineup).

Oh yeah, I'm a massive Ripper fan. There are only a couple of things he's done that I don't dig, like Play My Game was too much filler, first KK's Priest record was pretty low end stock, Spirits of Fire is hard to stomage because of Roy Z's awful production job but good performance and I guess decent songs and the Three Tremors isn't my cup of tea, but not because of Ripper.

His "Ripper" EP is fantastic, quite derived from Jugulator.

I doubt they would tease any of the bonus songs. It will be difficult to top Firepower, but they are on a roll. We can compare ''Trial By Fire'' with ''Spectre'' or ''Crown Of Horns'' with ''Never The Heroes'' though; somehow almost equal for me. ''Panic Attack'', on the other hand, is a new beast. It will remain one of the highlights, methinks.

This is most likely a bonus track. Why would they post a snippet of a standard album version track on a promotion for the bonus tracks?

Bonus tracks doesn't necessarily mean leftovers, just that they for one reason or another is not best suited to be on the standard release. Redeemer's "Tears of Blood" was a bonus track and it was better than most of the tracks on the standard album.

^Sounds promising. I'm happy about the interesting instrumental parts, more musical interludes and well thought out intro/outros. A good amount of 70's vibes in some songs is surprising (like the closer, 70's heavy and uptempo). But several songs will have the traditional Priest vibe.

Richie about the album

The interviewer said something about the songs and Richie seems to agree to a certain extent, ofc. He also said that the album will stand on its own over time and he is blown away by it.

Richie said that this is a less commercial album than Firepower and that they try to do something different on every album.

Most of the songs will be fast and he used songs from DOTF album as references. Also, a continuation of Firepower, but with more memorable and better stuff. That would be something.
The Serpent And The King - similar vibe to Freewheel Burning. They had the song for a while. One of the last songs they wrote for the album with wild vocals from Rob. Fantastic to play live, according to Richie.
Invincible Shield - Jawbreaker/Freewheel Burning vibe, anthemic. The solo is a musical piece on its self. Richie wanted a Randy Rhoads-type of solo.
Devil In Disguise -
Gates Of Hell - DOTF vibe again, very 80's sounding song.
As God Is My Witness - a really fast song. Great song, according to Richie.
Escape From Reality - Black Sabbath feel. Glenn wrote this one.
Sons Of Thunder - Hell Bent For Leather style of song. Glenn mostly wrote this one as well.
Giants In The Sky -

bonus songs

Fight Of Your Life - one of Richie's favorite songs. Why a bonus song then?
Vicious Circle -
The Lodger - written by Bob Halligan Jr. ! Like: Some Heads Are Gonna Roll and (Take These) Chains. The band really liked it. A unique song, according to Richie.

When the song titles were revealed, I had a feeling that the title track, As God Is My Witness and Giants In The Sky would be great and probably my favorite songs. Given the reviews, I think I might be right.

I think they will play the 3 singles plus the title track on the upcoming tour.
They will play 2-3 other songs from the album on the second leg.

New short teaser of one of the songs from the new album. Sounds like the previous such one and has a big Halford solo band vibe.

These type of vocals are odd for Rob now.

Rob Halford:
"You wait till you hear 'The Serpent And The King'," Halford added about one of the tracks that have yet to be released from the LP. "That's gonna rip your head off. We've already sent a teaser out for that, and the fans are already losing their minds. So, all the things that you love about PRIEST are enmeshed in 'Invincible Shield', and then some."

So, now we know song's name; The Serpent And The King will be fast and aggressive track.

A couple of songs are carried over from Firepower, interesting. I guess this style works best for them now, I just hope for interesting arrangements like on Nostradamus. The reviewer mentioned surprising twist and turns, some different vibes of some parts (verse, chorus, bridges or like the funky but melodic vibe in Devil In Disguise) and a bit of a different approach to Scott's drumming (hmm), so we'll see.
Also, his favorite Priest album since 1978. Wow!

It seems there is lots of melodies on the album, which is awesome. According to the review, the title track and The Serpent And The King sound samey, As God Is My Witness has Thin Lizzy-esque harmonies and super melodic chorus and chords, Escape From Reality is a masterpiece with melodic verses yet whispery vocals, Sons Of Thunder has chanting vocals with keyboards and the closer is a bit proggy.
- Fight Of Your Life is bluesy meets Metal Gods, Vicious Circle is like Panic Attack and The Lodger is pure glam rock.

I really like that they go on different creative places with this album. It was necessary. And I think Richie is the main inspiration for that.
Rob Halford:
"You wait till you hear 'The Serpent And The King'," Halford added about one of the tracks that have yet to be released from the LP. "That's gonna rip your head off. We've already sent a teaser out for that, and the fans are already losing their minds. So, all the things that you love about PRIEST are enmeshed in 'Invincible Shield', and then some." So, now we know song's name; The Serpent And The King will be fast and aggressive track.
I bet they will play it live.

Back