Judas Priest

K.K. Downing about Iron Maiden ------> Interview
KK: "But, yeah, congratulations to those guys for being ginormous, and, obviously, I have total respect. But I must commend those guys for their work ethic. Boy, they just go round and round the world. Where do they get their energy from?"

Maiden, take them as a support band so that K.K. can see from where they get their energy... :lol:

Maiden, take them as a support band so that K.K. can see from where they get their energy... :lol:
Wouldn't that be something ... instead of the Maiden / Judas Priest tour that people have been fantasizing about for ages, we get KK's Priest touring with Maiden instead! :lol:

KK: "But, yeah, congratulations to those guys for being ginormous, and, obviously, I have total respect. But I must commend those guys for their work ethic. Boy, they just go round and round the world. Where do they get their energy from?"

Apparently that was the plan: a British tour this Autumn had the LOTB 2021 shows gone ahead:

So “Sermons of the Sinner” is even more abysmal than “Hellfire Thunderbolt” and there isn’t even a cool guitar intro to make some of it worthwhile. I’m sorry, this song is just really, really bad. The music is just more samey trad metal and the lyrics are dumb as hell. I wish the genre wasn’t beset by tropes as much as it is, because then I might like the modern scene more. Priest succeeded with Firepower because they didn’t need to prove themselves and just had fun with each other. KK does have to prove himself, and he’s trying way too hard. His solos are fine, I guess, although it would be better if he left the wah alone. The riff... I mean, a riff is a riff. It’s how you use it that elevates it, and he doesn’t use it in any particularly special way. The drum intro is just “Painkiller” Pt. 2. And Ripper sounds horrible. Genuinely horrible. He’s such a bad singer. Timbre and range don’t matter. The one thing he lacks that all good singers should have is control. He just doesn’t have it. He’s like gravy, dripping all over the place, and this gravy has jalapeños in it for no fucking reason. Yuck.

This doesn’t even feel like off-brand Priest anymore. It just feels off-brand, period. If this was the best that metal had to offer, I would not be a fan of the genre.

3/10

Last edited:
So “Sermons of the Sinner” is even more abysmal than “Hellfire Thunderbolt” and there isn’t even a cool guitar intro to make some of it worthwhile. I’m sorry, this song is just really, really bad. The music is just more samey trad metal and the lyrics are dumb as hell. I wish the genre wasn’t beset by tropes as much as it is, because then I might like the modern scene more. Priest succeeded with Firepower because they didn’t need to prove themselves and just had fun with each other. KK does have to prove himself, and he’s trying way too hard. His solos are fine, I guess, although it would be better if he left the wah alone. The riff... I mean, a riff is a riff. It’s how you use it that elevates it, and he doesn’t use it in any particularly special way. The drum intro is just “Painkiller” Pt. 2. And Ripper sounds horrible. Genuinely horrible. He’s such a bad singer. Timbre and range don’t matter. The one thing he lacks that all good singers should have is control. He just doesn’t have it. He’s like gravy, dripping all over the place, and this gravy has jalapeños in it for no fucking reason. Yuck.

This doesn’t even feel like off-brand Priest anymore. It just feels off-brand, period. If this was the best that metal had to offer, I would not be a fan of the genre.

3/10

Your review is spot on. Ripper's vocals sound like a combination of King Diamond and Rob Halford but it ends up being really bad.

KK fanboys are praising both songs all over social media and even going so far as saying that they would prefer to see KK's Priest over Judas Priest live just because Priest doesn't have the two original guitarists anymore.

Rob Halford> Tim "Ripper' Owens
Richie Faulkner > KK Downing(as much as I love him, Richie is a better more technical guitarist)
Andy Sneap> AJ Mills
Ian Hill> Tony Newton
Scott Travis> Sean Elg

So far, the songs off KK's Priest album are massively underwhelming. However, every cloud has a silver lining and that is having Kenny in full motormouth mode. It is what it is!

I quite liked Hellfire Thunderbolt. The title track was overall good, but the lyrics are pretty shit and the two songs are a bit too same-same. I expected far more from a title track. At the very least they should have played around with variations of the chorus towards the end and the section at 1:22 feels like an afterthought, which is a shame, because it is a good section - Just doesn't fit in with the chorus.

But in no way is Andy Sneap a better guitarist than AJ Mills. The first few weeks of the Firepower tour was painful. Sure, Sneap was rather rusty at that point, but even after he got himself in shape, his playing left me wanting.

So far, the songs off KK's Priest album are massively underwhelming. However, every cloud has a silver lining and that is having Kenny in full motormouth mode. It is what it is!

The comment section is a cesspool of trolls and KK fanboys saying the two new singles are so great as if they were the greatest thing since sliced bread and trashing the current Priest lineup. Then again, that's typical blabbermouth.

I don't want to go back to that, but a reunion with K.K. (after Glenn's retirement from touring) would have been only with positive effects for the band. The tickets sales would have been way more (for sure) and the fans would have loved to see K.K. back on stage with Priest (K.K. and Richie together would be great). Also, it would have been curious to see him playing songs from ROS and Firepower.
His return would have been only for the tours (maybe), because Glenn still writes songs for the new albums and I can't see Priest with three guitarists in the studio writing songs and arguing who will play the solos. But then again, in the last two albums Richie does most of the solos.
K.K. is right about something - Priest are not an EP band. I think he should have finished the Farewell tour (Epitaph Tour) and then probably the whole band would have retired. Richie saved the band from that.

Their decision about a Farewell tour was rashly, I think.

But there seems to have been a lot of ''ego battles'' in the band through their whole career.

KK left the band in one of the most bitter fashions possible, and now whines about them at every turn he can get. I’m sorry, he’s the last kind of person I’d want in my band, regardless of his talent and regardless of any potential ticket sales.

KK strikes me as a bit of a difficult character. But then again, so does Glenn, although not in the KK way. KK basically snapped after decades of subjugation and that man can hold a grudge like nobody else. Besides, supposedly being involved with the manager doesn't make for a leveled playfield.

KK left the band in one of the most bitter fashions possible,
I think he left because of those ''ego battles'' through their whole career (or this was one of the reasons). I thought he can return to the band, but with his recent comments he burned a lot of bridges and sadly, the band is (more or less) in their twilight years - if his leaving was in the 90's (like Rob did), then he would have a bigger chance no matter what. The mistake of leaving in the first place is his though.

And Ripper sounds horrible. Genuinely horrible. He’s such a bad singer. Timbre and range don’t matter. The one thing he lacks that all good singers should have is control. He just doesn’t have it. He’s like gravy, dripping all over the place, and this gravy has jalapeños in it for no fucking reason.

:lol: :lol:

I quite liked Ripper’s singing in the late 90s. Nowadays, it is rather painful to hear him.

KK strikes me as a bit of a difficult character. But then again, so does Glenn, although not in the KK way. KK basically snapped after decades of subjugation and that man can hold a grudge like nobody else. Besides, supposedly being involved with the manager doesn't make for a leveled playfield.

He tried to find solace in golf… and failed!

1624570717130.jpeg

He should have followed Bruce’s example:if you are going to invest your money in a risky venture, at least keep a steady income from your musical career!

K.K. looks a bit like Marty Feldman on that video interview

1624915933371.png

• Haha
Reactions: Jer
Back