Judas Priest

Iron Maiden has a much more intricate stage show than Judas Priest. With the way the Priest show goes, you can move the songs around and it's basically the same thing. Hell, only 4/5ths of the band members need to know the song, because Rob has his teleprompter.

When Judas Priest has 3 full stage changes + inflatable airplanes + giant demons & zombies + a singer who is you know, active + flamethrowers + intricate lighting sets timed to the music + fire, fire, and more fire, then you can compare the way the two bands tour. But since they don't, and their idea of an intricate set is a video screen and a motorcycle...

. On the other hand Judas Priest have more albums and more hits (at least the following: The Ripper, Victim Of Changes, BTROD, Green Manalishi, Hell Bent, Breaking The Law, Living After Midnight, Metal Gods, Grinder, Electric Eye, YGATC, The Sentinel, Turbo Lover, Painkiller) and still can manage to change the majority of their set each tour they make. No excuses.
Judas Priest most certainly doesn't have more hits than Maiden.

Iron Maiden has a much more intricate stage show than Judas Priest. With the way the Priest show goes, you can move the songs around and it's basically the same thing. Hell, only 4/5ths of the band members need to know the song, because Rob has his teleprompter.

When Judas Priest has 3 full stage changes + inflatable airplanes + giant demons & zombies + a singer who is you know, active + flamethrowers + intricate lighting sets timed to the music + fire, fire, and more fire, then you can compare the way the two bands tour. But since they don't, and their idea of an intricate set is a video screen and a motorcycle...

Well... since BNW was released (I could go back to 1990 but I'll take BNW's tour to say the least) Maiden didn't have 3 full stage changes + inflatable airplanes + giant demons & zombies + a singer who is you know, active + flamethrowers + intricate lighting sets timed to the music + fire, fire, and more fire and still featured and the times tunes such as NOTB, RTTH, HBTN, 2MTM, Trooper, IM, TETMD, FOTD and Wrathchild are part of the setlist is absolutely overwhelming (The only brave and refreshing exception was a matter of life and death tour). Plus there's a whole lot of well known songs with woooooooaaaahs and stuff in Maiden's reportoire and a teleprompter is not that expensive .We both know those are not the real reasons.

We both know those are not the real reasons.
We don't both know this, because you are making huge assumptions. Maiden is a gigantic business that takes a lot to move around. The band could be more adventurous, but that would lead to a reduction in show quality. You're assuming it's because they're lazy or because they don't want to take risks, and that's a big problem.

In the end, Iron Maiden plays full sized arenas and headlines the world's biggest rock festivals, while Judas Priest is playing 6000 person venues and gets on second last on the second stage. That alone tells us which band has been more successful.

Songs like The Wicker Man and El Dorado are definitely hits.
It really depends on what you call a hit. These are leading singles and they have had exposure on more than one tour (especially TWM...which is rather logical), granted. But I seriously doubt they would be among the songs the average concert-goer would "expect" by buying a ticket to see IM live.

If I listed all the songs I consider hits there would be a lot more. These were just the obvious ones. I'm sure they are more hit-like songs than Grinder by Judas Priest...

You're assuming it's because they're lazy or because they don't want to take risks, and that's a big problem.
Wrong. It has nothing to do with being lazy or not.
Maiden is a gigantic business that takes a lot to move around. The band could be more adventurous, but that would lead to a reduction in show quality.
Now that's the point... Not that it WOULD lead to a reduction in show quality. But in business if something's working fine regarding revenue (and Maiden in the last 20 years sure is!) one goes by the books: don't change it! As far as I'm concerned it's notorious that's the main reason (they got flak enough during AMOLAD and The Early Years tours to learn that unfortunate lesson)

Last edited:
Well... since BNW was released (I could go back to 1990 but I'll take BNW's tour to say the least) Maiden didn't have 3 full stage changes + inflatable airplanes + giant demons & zombies + a singer who is you know, active + flamethrowers + intricate lighting sets timed to the music + fire, fire, and more fire and still featured and the times tunes such as NOTB, RTTH, HBTN, 2MTM, Trooper, IM, TETMD, FOTD and Wrathchild are part of the setlist is absolutely overwhelming (The only brave and refreshing exception was a matter of life and death tour). Plus there's a whole lot of well known songs with woooooooaaaahs and stuff in Maiden's reportoire and a teleprompter is not that expensive .We both know those are not the real reasons.

I find it quite ridiculous that people would suggest that Iron Maiden are lazy considering that since 1999 they have played nearly 80 different songs live!

1. Prowler
2. Remember Tomorrow
3. Running Free
4. Phantom of the Opera
5. Charlotte the Harlot
6. Iron Maiden
7. Sanctuary
8. Wrathchild
9. Murders in the rue Morgue
10. Another Life
11. Killers
12. Drifter
13. Children of the Damned
14. The Prisoner
15. 22 Acacia Avenue
16. The Number of the Beast
17. Run to the Hills
18. Hallowed be Thy Name
19. Where Eagles Dare
20. Revelations
21. Flight of Icarus
22. Die With Your Boots On
23. The Trooper
24. Aces High
25. 2 Minutes to Midnight
26. Powerslave
27. Rime of the Ancient Mariner
28. Wasted Years
29. Heaven can Wait
30. Stranger in a Strange Land
31. Moonchild
32. Can I Play with Madness
33. The Evil that Men Do
34. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
35. The Clairvoyant
36. Bring Your Daughter... to the Slaughter
37. Afraid to Shoot Strangers
38. Fear of the Dark
39. Sign of the Cross
40. Lord of the Flies
41. Man on the Edge
42. Futureal
43. The Clansman
44. The Wicker Man
45. Ghost of the Navigator
46. Brave New World
47. Blood Brothers
48. The Mercenary
49. Dream of Mirrors
50. The Fallen Angel
51. Out of the Silent Planet
52. Wildest Dreams
53. Rainmaker
54. No More Lies
55. Dance of Death
56. Paschendale
57. Journeyman
58. Different World
59. These Colours Don't Run
60. Brighter than a Thousand Suns
61. The Pilgrim
62. The Longest Day
63. Out of the Shadows
64. The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg
65. For the Greater Good of God
66. Lord of Light
67. The Legacy
68. Satellite 15... The Final Frontier
69. El Dorado
70. Coming Home
71. The Talisman
72. When the Wild Wind Blows
73. If Eternity Should Fail
74. Speed of Light
75. The Great Unknown
76. The Red and the Black
77. The Book of Souls
78. Death or Glory
79. Tears of a Clown

Last edited:
Maiden is a gigantic business that takes a lot to move around. The band could be more adventurous, but that would lead to a reduction in show quality.
The crew indeed has a voice to be reckoned with: I remember reading they were the ones that "decided" IM would not play "Heaven Can Wait" anymore because it was a nuisance to have some many outsiders on stage and backstage at that moment of the show. @karljant So I tend to agree with LooseCannon that one should not overlook how much of a mammoth the IM organization is, thus preventing major setlist changes in the same tour.

I find it quite ridiculous that people would suggest that Iron Maiden are lazy considering that since 1999 they played nearly 80 different songs live!

1. Prowler
2. Remember Tomorrow
3. Running Free
4. Phantom of the Opera
5. Charlotte the Harlot
6. Iron Maiden
7. Sanctuary
8. Wrathchild
9. Murders in the rue Morgue
10. Another Life
11. Killers
12. Drifter
13. Children of the Damned
14. The Prisoner
15. 22 Acacia Avenue
16. The Number of the Beast
17. Run to the Hills
18. Hallowed be Thy Name
19. Where Eagles Dare
20. Revelations
21. Flight of Icarus
22. Die With Your Boots On
23. The Trooper
24. Aces High
25. 2 Minutes to Midnight
26. Powerslave
27. Rime of the Ancient Mariner
28. Wasted Years
29. Heaven can Wait
30. Stranger in a Strange Land
31. Moonchild
32. Can I Play with Madness
33. The Evil that Men Do
34. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
35. The Clairvoyant
36. Bring Your Daughter... to the Slaughter
37. Afraid to Shoot Strangers
38. Fear of the Dark
39. Sign of the Cross
40. Lord of the Flies
41. Man on the Edge
42. Futureal
43. The Clansman
44. The Wicker Man
45. Ghost of the Navigator
46. Brave New World
47. Blood Brothers
48. The Mercenary
49. Dream of Mirrors
50. The Fallen Angel
51. Out of the Silent Planet
52. Wildest Dreams
53. Rainmaker
54. No More Lies
55. Dance of Death
56. Paschendale
57. Journeyman
58. Different World
59. These Colours Don't Run
60. Brighter than a Thousand Suns
61. The Pilgrim
62. The Longest Day
63. Out of the Shadows
64. The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg
65. For the Greater Good of God
66. Lord of Light
67. The Legacy
68. Satellite 15... The Final Frontier
69. El Dorado
70. Coming Home
71. The Talisman
72. When the Wild Wind Blows
73. If Eternity Should Fail
74. Speed of Light
75. The Great Unknown
76. The Red and the Black
77. The Book of Souls
78. Death or Glory
79. Tears of a Clown
I think the word "lazy" would qualify their timidity in terms of setlist within the same tour, not from one to another. Besides, IM themselves are not responsible for the one thing that makes their setlists come across as repetitive, i.e the social media that allow anybody to know what is going to be played, in other words the spoilers that now bring in expectations and entitlement into the mix, which logically makes "the organization" play it safer than ever before.

Last edited:
I think the word "lazy" would qualify their timidity in terms of setlist within the same tour, not from one to another. Besides, IM themselves are not responsible for the one thing that makes their setlists come across as repetitive, i.e the social media that allow anybody to know what is going to be played, in other words the spoilers that now bring in expectations and entitlement into the mix, which logically makes "the organization" play it safer than ever before.

I would argue that they played it safer during the late 80s/early 90s and that most post-reunion tours have seen a more significant shake-up to their setlists than in most occasions in the past!

I would argue that they played it safer during the late 80s/early 90s and that most post-reunion tours have seen a more significant shake-up to their setlists than in most occasions in the past!
I tend to think the opposite, provided we are talking about the setlists within a given tour. I grant you that Fear of the Dark tour setlist did not change much (=the Donington setlist, except for "DWYBO" being played...once, in South America), but though it is not as many songs as JP is rotating nowadays, the setlists from SSOASS and NPOTR show a bit more variety than any tour post-reunion... or didn't I get your point? :D

I tend to think the opposite, provided we are talking about the setlists within a given tour. I grant you that Fear of the Dark tour setlist did not change much (=the Donington setlist, except for "DWYBO" being played...once, in South America), but though it is not as many songs as JP is rotating nowadays, the setlists from SSOASS and NPOTR show a bit more variety than any tour post-reunion... or didn't I get your point? :D

I was talking about changes made to the setlist from one tour to the next, not within the same tour. Sorry for the lack of clarity.

We know that Maiden have never been a band to change things that often within the same tour, unless it involved visiting the same places (e.g. SSOASS) or some songs were not working live (e.g. SIT).

To be honest, I'd rather have a fixed setlist for the tour so everybody gets to see the same show (most people just go to one show) than facing a situation like going to see Metallica and getting The Memory Remains instead of Creeping Death, as happened to my brother recently! :lol:

Back