Judas Priest: songs that were never played live

Forostar

Ancient Mariner
(To see the Iron Maiden overview (in a much further stage), please check this thread:
http://forum.maidenfans.com/threads/iron-maiden-songs-–-a-rough-overview-of-their-“live-history”.16270/ )

Judas Priest: songs that were never played live

EDIT: When I started this topic, the scope was much bigger (click the spoiler tags if interested). Since this is a lot of work and I do not have the time to do all the Played stuff, in this thread I focus on the Never Played section only. The rest is in spoilers. People may feel free to talk about that stuff as well.

Introduction
I decided to make a “played live – overview” of all Priest songs, basically to get an impression when a song was played but also to estimate how often (esp. in numbers of tours) it was played.
For reference I used:
http://www.setlist.fm
http://judaspriest.free.fr (The French Metallian)
http://www.alatkins.com
Defenders of the Faith - the story of Judas Priest by Neil Daniels (book)
and my own collection of bootlegs

Like last time, I use “tour segments”. Every played song will have a reference to one or more of such segments.

I used the book and Al Atkins' site as sources for the pre-Rocka Rolla era. Unfortunately no recordings from this era have circulated on the internet. At least, I am unaware of them.
The same goes for the Sad Wings of Destiny Tour (1976 dates), nor do I have information on songs Priest played in 1976, but it would be strange to leave that tour out.

This is not meant to be a perfect work (which isn’t possible anyway, since we don’t have bootlegs of all the concerts), rather see this as a rough overview.

If you have any comments or questions, or want to report mistakes, feel free to post them in this topic.

This is a work in progress, so if interested, keep checking for updates.
Tour segments:
1. Before the release of debut album Rocka Rolla (1969 - June 1974)
2. Rocka Rolla Tour (September 1974 - December 1975)
3. Sad Wings of Destiny Tour (April – June 1976; unfortunately no recordings or info)
4. Sin After Sin Tour (April – October 1977)
5. Stained Class Tour (January – August 1978)
6. Killing Machine / Hell Bent for Leather Tour (October 1978 – December 1979)
7. British Steel Tour (March – August 1980)
8. World Wide Blitz Tour / Point of Entry (February – December 1981)
9. World Vengeance Tour / Screaming for Vengeance (August 1982 – December 1983)
10. Metal Conqueror Tour / Defenders of the Faith (January – September 1984) + Live Aid (13 July 1985)
11. Fuel for Live Tour / Turbo (May – December 1986)
12. Mercenaries of Metal Tour / Ram it Down (May – October 1988)
13. Painkiller Tour (September 1990 – April 1991)
14. Operation Rock ‘N’ Roll Tour (July – August 1991)
15. Jugulator World Tour (January – October 1998)
16. Demolition World Tour (June 2001 – August 2002)
17. Reunited Summer Tour (June – September 2004)
18. Retribution World Tour (February – December 2005) + Royal Albert Hall (31-03-2006)
19. 2008/2009 World Tour / Nostradamus (June 2008 – October 2009)
20. Epitaph World Tour (June 2011 – May 2012)

Non-album tracks (I decided to only mention those tracks of which I found a recording):

Mother Son: 2 (played once at Reading Festival
, 22-08-1975)

Album tracks (original ones only, and no bonus tracks):

Never played (* means: I doubt if it was played live):
Rocka Rolla:
1. One for the Road*
2. Deep Freeze
3. Winter Retreat*
4. Cheater*
5. Dying to Meet You (/ Hero, Hero)*

Sad Wings of Destiny:
6. Prelude
7. Epitaph

Sin After Sin:
8. Last Rose of Summer

Stained Class:
9. Heroes End

Killing Machine (aka Hell Bent for Leather):
10. Evening Star
11. Burnin' Up
12. Before the Dawn

Point of Entry:
13. Don't Go
14. Turning Circles
15. You Say Yes
16. All the Way
17. On the Run

Screaming for Vengeance
18. The Hellion
19. Pain and Pleasure

Turbo
20. Wild Nights, Hot & Crazy Days
21. Reckless

Ram it Down
22. Love Zone
23. Hard as Iron
24. Love You to Death
25. Monsters of Rock

Painkiller
26. Battle Hymn

Jugulator
Jugulator
Dead Meat
Decapitate
Brain Dead
Cathedral Spires

Demolition
Jekyll and Hyde
Close to You
Devil Digger
In Between
Subterfuge
Lost and Found
Cyberface
Metal Messiah

Angel of Retribution
Demonizer
Wheels of Fire
Eulogy
Lochness

Nostradamus
Dawn of Creation
Awakening
Revelations
The Four Horsemen
War
Sands of Time
Pestilence and Plague
Peace
Conquest
Lost Love
Persecution
Solitude
Exiled
Alone
Shadows in the Flame
Visions
Hope
New Beginnings
Calm Before the Storm
Nostradamus
Future of Mankind

Redeemer of Souls
Sword of Damocles
Down in Flames
Hell & Back
Cold Blooded
Metalizer
Crossfire
Secrets of the Dead
Battle Cry
Beginning of the End
Snakebite
Tears of Blood
Creatures
Bring It On
Never Forget

Firepower
Never the Heroes
Children of the Sun
Guardians
Flame Thrower
Lone Wolf
Sea of Red

Last edited:
Cheers, Mosh. This is quite difficult because there are not as many (good) sources as with Maiden. The French Metallian is a great site but largely under construction. And setlist.fm named a few songs I'm not sure about. More about that later. :)

Just a note, not sure why you've put a * next to it, but its "(Take These) Chains" not Changes :) I've got a few Priest bootlegs can't see any at a glance that don't match this list.

Oops corrected that. Thanks, Crimson!

The * is an indication for myself that (at this point) I am doubting if it's ever played live. The same goes for two Killing Machine tracks. When I have more time I will explain it better, hope you don't mind.

But if you (or anyone else) already know of a live recording of any of these songs (or know one was played) please say. :)

When I have more time I will explain it better, hope you don't mind.

Not at all, I ain't that demanding ;) I've got the same book that you have used for reference although haven't read it fully (I was a bit unhappy with some of the ways he wrote.. rather than saying albums were "commercially worse fairing" or similar, it was "the terrible album xyz" .. i.e, opinion rather than a fact.) as other things kept getting in the way and I tend to find it hard to jump in/out of a book.

I've a bootleg on my other PC but not on this one, from the painkiller gig so I'll check that when I can get round to setting it up. Bootlegs from 81/84/88 other than that. Offhand I *THINK* the only one from Painkiller not done is Battle Hymn.. but I wouldn't be certain. Struggling to find a Hellion that sounds live though.

Finished the "Never played" songs.

I do confess there is some doubt in my mind... 4 songs, marked with an asterisk, are mentioned only by setlist.fm. The site states that they were played once, or in the case of (Take These) Chains: twice. Now if I had another source....

Did some of you ever hear a live version of one the following songs, or are you aware of a bootleg that mentions them? Please tell me, I am curious.

Evening Star
July 25, 1981 by Judas Priest at New Haven Veterans Memorial Coliseum, New Haven, CT, USA
(this doesn't make sense; why in the middle of this tour?)

Burnin' Up
December 5, 1980 by Judas Priest at C.N.E. Coliseum, Toronto, ON, Canada
(again; a weird tour, in the middle of it)

(Take These) Chains
August 26, 1982 by Judas Priest at Stabler Arena, Bethlehem, PA, USA
October 28, 1982 by Judas Priest at Maple Leaf Gardens, Toronto, ON, Canada
(this makes more sense; played in the beginning of the tour; but why no more gigs? This was a single. I realize that setlist.fm doesn't have setlists from all gigs, so it certainly could have been played more often)

One Shot at Glory
February 4, 1991 by Judas Priest at Jäähalli, Helsinki, Finland
(this would be really cool if it were true... and it can be true, but I'd like to have more info on this)

I dunno about why they would play it mid tour. But I remember seeing a live version of Evening Star somewhere. I wish I could remember where. I'm sure about this though because it was my first time hearing the song. :)

Also, I'm surprised about Don't Go not being played live. Was that not a single?

I could be way out to lunch here because it has been a long time since I've seen it, but didn't the extended Japanese version of Unleashed in the East have Evening Star on it?

edit
**Google search tells me I'm wrong**

Mosh, that version of Evening Star might be this one. Listen well, it's clearly an edit of the studio version, so it's playback.

Mckindog: you probably meant Delivering the Goods?

Also, my interpretation of the "played live" listings is played on tour rather than say.. played live on top of the pops etc.

I rather do not make it that complicated. For me, live is live and playback is playback, no matter the location. Thankfully, this interpretation doesn't matter in the case of Evening Star. It's not live. :)

Mosh, that version of Evening Star might be this one. Listen well, it's clearly an edit of the studio version, so it's playback.

Mckindog: you probably meant Delivering the Goods?
Oh yes that's it. Nevermind then.

Update: I am in contact with Jari, one of the editors of K K Downing's site and he told me that Take these Chains was played live. He knows someone who has the bootleg of the gig in Stabler Arena, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA on 26th August 1982. This was the first gig of the World Vengeance tour.

Fever was also played on that night:

He also conformed that One Shot at Glory was not played in Helsinki, so it's safe to say it's not played at all.

Only doubts that remain are Evening Star and Burnin' Up, so I'll leave the asterisks for now.

If you look on setlist fm, you'll now see they're early setlists. Note: From 1974 onwards, Winter is the entire Winter Suite. All songs from Rocka Rolla have been played live.

Lost and Found was played live during the soundcheck prior to the Live in London gig in 2001. Bonus material. Does that count, or is an audience required?

If you look on setlist fm, you'll now see they're early setlists. Note: From 1974 onwards, Winter is the entire Winter Suite. All songs from Rocka Rolla have been played live.
Thanks I 'll look into that when I have more time!
Lost and Found was played live during the soundcheck prior to the Live in London gig in 2001. Bonus material. Does that count, or is an audience required?
I rather not count soundchecks; who knows more songs have been soundchecked but not recorded, so it's hard to know where to draw a line. A live performance with audience sounds like a fine criterium.

I have a couple live albums (not by Priest) that have songs recorded at soundcheck. Would you count it in that case? General curiosity.

Back