Judas Priest Discography Discussion (part 2 starting page 20)

I really wanted to add something to the last few posts in this thread, but everyone else has basically said everything I wanted to say, so there's not much point. :lol: It is very pleasing to see such massive agreement about this album, and such unanimous praise for it also. It just shows me that whilst the commercial media may severely underrate "Sin After Sin", it is clearly a treasured and much loved album to the real, dedicated Priest fans. I've loved reading everyone's thoughts regarding this little gem! :)

Jpstandclass.jpg

Stained Class (1978)

Rob Halford - Vocals
K.K. Downing - Guitar
Glenn Tipton - Guitar
Ian Hill - Guitar
Les Binks - Drums

The first thing one might notice about this album is the artwork, as this is the first appearance of the classic Judas Priest logo we all know and love. An appropriate change from the older Gothic logo and very fitting for Priest's increasingly heavy sound. The band's image was also evolving around this time to their iconic leather and studs look. Judas Priest was finally starting to become the band everyone remembers today.
20232297.jpg

Armed with a new drummer, Les Binks, Priest decided to return to the studio less than a year after Sin After Sin to record the followup. This album is notable for being the only Priest album to giving writing credits to every member. One of the band's most heralded tracks, Beyond the Realms of Death was in fact written by Les Binks and Rob Halford. This albums also contains Ian Hill's last writing credit to date in Invader.

Stained Class is a logical successor to Sin After Sin, expanding on the speed and energy found on tracks like Call For the Priest and Sinner. Exciter combines elements of both songs to create a high powered opener that gives listeners a good idea of what they're in for with this album. Unlike its predecessor, which varied in styles and moods, Stained Class mostly maintains a similar style throughout: heavy, aggressive, and energetic. Even the albums sole ballad, Beyond the Realms of Death, grows into very heavy track.

To complete the album, the record label suggested that the band record a cover for a potential single. Many songs were considered, including Race With the Devil (see below), but eventually they decided on the Spooky Tooth song: Better By You, Better Than Me. Even though it fits the album well, it was not the commercial success the label was hoping for and is not as memorable as Priest's Diamonds & Rust cover.

Better_By_You%2C_Better_Than_Me.jpg

Unfortunately, this song (along with the rest of the album) became the subject of controversy in 1990 when the band was accused of placing subliminal messages in their music that encouraged two teenagers to commit suicide. One of them survived and his family pursued legal action against the band. Better By You, Better Than Me, was suggested to have backmasked "Do it"s. After a four week trial, the judge ruled that this was no more than an "accidental combination of sounds". The band then kicked off their Painkiller tour, performing Better By You, Better Than Me for the first time since 1978, and as of 2014, the last time. The trial was captured in the documentary: Dream Deceivers: The Story Behind James Vance vs Judas Priest.

Stained Class was another commercial success, becoming the band's first album to crack the Billboard Top 200. The band was also increasing their live presence, playing headline shows in Europe, Japan, and the USA where they were making a huge impression. Judas Priest was taking the world by storm.
Judas_Priest_1978_Les_Binks.png

Exciter, 2005

Live in Japan, 1978

Exciter on Japanese TV

Race With the Devil

Better By You, Better Than Me, Live 1990

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoN19Mnp_j0
Stained Class, Live 1978 (One of only two live performances)

In my book 'Stained Class' is far and away the best seventies Priest album. There isn't a single filler on that album.

'Beyond The Realms Of Death' is surely the highlight thereof. It contains one of my favourite guitar solos (Glenn Tipton's) ever.

'Saints In Hell' is awesome as well as 'Better By You Better Than Me'.

Better by You is a good song, but there is nothing particularly catchy or remarkable about it.
Odd that the record company - trying to create a single for the band - chose that one.

Better by You is a good song, but there is nothing particularly catchy or remarkable about it.
Odd that the record company - trying to create a single for the band - chose that one.
I don't think the record company picked the song. They just wanted the band to record a cover, the band to got to choose.

Last edited:
I find it odd in general that when looking for a single the record companies solution was "do a cover!".
This wasn't unheard of. If a band wanted some commercial recognition, a cover was arguably the best way to do so. The first Beatles album was entirely made of covers, Van Halen had some early success with their You Really Got Me cover, and a few years after Stained Class, Quiet Riot had a massive hit with their version of Cum On Feel The Noize. That album probably wouldn't have been as big without it. I don't know about Van Halen, but The Beatles and Quiet Riot were both record company decisions.

I disagree. I think it's very catchy and it has a very nice groove to it.

This. Better by You is very memorable and contains these fun sing-along parts.

Classic Heavy Metal, classic Priest. A weaker song here and there but absolutely no bad ones. Every song is good to listen to and very classy. Besides the mentioned cover, my favourites are Exciter (what a harmony), Stained Class, Savage and of course Beyond the Realms of Death. Not only does it include an ageless Tipton solo but also one of the best by KK. I find it especially entertaining how he plays it live here (KK solo: 5:47):

The production of the album is nice. It's a bit dryer than Sin After Sin and the guitar sound could be stronger. However, the clarity of sounds is amazing and every instrument/vocal line seems to be very close to you when listening. Good dynamics as well.

Stained Class wasn't an album to leave the best first impression on me but after several plays I've started to like it more. I probably prefer Sin After Sin but it's a close fight.

Last edited:
I disagree. I think it's very catchy and it has a very nice groove to it.
Agreed. I never heard the original nor even realized that it was a cover. Playing the original now. Pretty good!
'Saints In Hell' is awesome as well
This. A much overlooked song. Hardly anyone talks about it. That mid piece is stunning with these intriguing rhythm guitars over a most grooving Les Binks!

Stained Class has probably the best sound of the seventies outputs but it's not my favourite record of this era. I find Sin After Sin a bit richer, as if they were exploring more different territories. Stained Class has a good share of strong songs but I find that the average song is a bit more monotone than its predecessor and with quite of them you need to wait a bit til they really get exciting. In Sinner you don't need to wait long til that chorus comes, but in Saints in Hell and Stained Class it takes a while til I go "yes".

Don't get me wrong: still a great album, but I miss some of the depth and haunting moments from Sin After Sin.

Here a live version of Savage (audio only):

Last edited:
I'm afraid not.

Interesting observation Crimson. The grooves (rhythms) indeed sound like each other.

Last edited:
The riff is similar imo, although only partially, but it's enough that I got them confused when listening... and I've not listened to Rocka Rolla for a while, actually had to go and check there was a song called Cheater and I wasn't just my mind going nuts.

The riff is similar imo, although only partially, but it's enough that I got them confused when listening... and I've not listened to Rocka Rolla for a while, actually had to go and check there was a song called Cheater and I wasn't just my mind going nuts.
You're definitely not nuts. I hadn't listened to either song in ages until I listened to Cheater for this thread.
Put on Saints in Hell on the weekend and the exact same thing happened to me.

Stained Class is my second favorite from the 70s Priest, trailing only to Sad Wings of Destiny (although I'm not sure anymore, Sin After Sin might be my second favorite, depends on the day, I guess). Like Sin After Sin, this album features pure energy but this time it's more under control. It features my favorite Priest song in Beyond the Realms of Death, one of my favorite fast paced Priest tracks in Exciter and some very fun and moving songs like Better by You, Better Than Me, Heroes End and aforementioned Saints in Hell.

After spending more of less the entire weekend listening to this album, I have to say I'm with Foro on this one. Sin After Sin has a lot more variety and the songs are just stronger. Sinner is the obvious highlight but the album doesn't take a dip in quality after that. With Stained Class, Exciter starts the album off strong but it's followed by one of my least favorites: White Heat Red Hot. The cover is alright and I like the title track enough, but after that it just feels like a bunch of only ok songs until it picks up again with Beyond the Realms of Death, which is worth the wait really. Heroes End isn't bad but it isn't very memorable either.

I have the same opinion as Mosh on Stained Class, a couple of standout tracks with the rest being merely ok. It's not a bad album by any means, but I just don't hold it in the same regard as Priest's best albums.

Stained Class is excellent, but it is probably my least favourite of the classic Priest albums.
Reason one is it just has a real dry sound — it's not bad, it's just not to my tastes.
Reason two is it is loaded with good and very good songs, but it only has one great one.

Back