Journeyman

How good is Journeyman on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: Daily Song: Journeyman

I quite like this song, but nothing higher than that. The lyrics are the best part of the song, but the unique feel with the acoustic guitars isn't too bad either. The solos are quite good, and the chorus is decent, but there is nothing in the song that is truly extraordinary. 7/10.

Dance of Death is an amazing album yet it includes two major flaws. One is the album cover. The song DoD takes place in the Everglades. The artwork could have incorporated swamps, gators, campfires and crazy dancers. Oh well. I'll live with the masqueraded Eddie. But the larger flaw is that The Journeyman doesn't include guitar solos. The song is quite epic, and of course the acoustic closer is a novel idea for Maiden. TJ was the perfect opportunity for each guitarist to ply his trade with an improv on the acoustic. Three acoustic solos to close the album may very well have been enough to make Dance of Death the best release ever. Oh well, still a good track.

A beautiful piece of music. Great lyrical message delivered in a thoughtful way. Different obviously, and a nice element to have in the catalogue. Eight

It sucks compared to electric version or live renditions. Flat, dull, and Bruce's voice is uninspired. 6.

I always like when Maiden do something a bit different from their norm, which usually entails an element of risk but I feel this song is a success, love the acoustic guitars and the warm string sound in general, also Bruce puts in a rather fine performance, 10/10.

Interesting attempt, I like the electric version better but it's good. I like the Death on the Road version very much. 8/10.

8/10. I like this song a lot, but I'm not obsessed with it. It reminds me of Stairway to Heaven, though, which is a good thing.

I go back and forth on this song. I like the fact that Maiden finally did an acoustic song, and I love the synths, but the chorus is too shouty for me. The prechorus, however, is fantastic. Regardless, it's hard to say this song isn't good.

IMO, Journeyman is very specific song. Maiden have never done it before (exepct Prodigal Son). I love the song very much but on this album there are better ones - like Dance of Death, Paschandale or Face in the Sand.

The Journeyman has an atmospheric and dreamy feeling, and it closes the album in a very different way then other albums have done.
I really love the feeling on this track, it makes you forget time and space and just float away. The middle section is beautiful. There are no fast solos or cool twin harmonies, just a moving sound landscape.

The dance of death album is an album with many highs and lows and is not as consistent as Brave New World or A Matter Of Life And Death. Journeyman may not be the best, but it is one of the better songs on the album.

(Most of you have probably seen it many times, but in case some of you haven't, the live version is better. Adrians solo is beautiful! :O )

8/10

This song totally came out of left field. My immediate though while re-listening is that they should've dropped the cheesy synth sounds. Reminds me of Como Estais Amigos, this would've been more effective if it was just the acoustic guitars and Bruce.

This is a nice song, but I think the novelty of an all acoustic Maiden song is stronger than the song itself. Some great melodies and a good mood, but in retrospect this isn't among the album's best songs.
Adrian's live guitar solo is awesome, the studio version could've used something like that.

This one is also spoiled by the distorted production. Man, this is in desperate need of a remaster. If I could make Steve go back and get someone to redo any album, this would be the one.

I've always wondered, is this a song they wanted to do because of the song, or because they wanted to prove they could. It's alright, I don't love it. 5/10.

It's got some beautiful moments for sure. Can't help thinking that a band with this much creativity could have come up with something more special though if they were intent on a single acoustic track. The shimmering build up is gorgeous to listen to but I don't think the choppy chorus lives up to or matches the verse.

Back