Joe Satriani

MrKnickerbocker

clap hands
Joe Satriani - my personal favorite of all the "virtuoso" guitar players. His style is fluid, graceful, and often quite subdued. His flair for writing melodies and song structure are unparalleled in the instrumental rock guitarist world. Also, Adrian Smith likes him!

Top 5 Albums:

1. Crystal Planet
2. Strange Beautiful Music
3. Surfing With the Alien
4. The Extremist
5. Unstoppable Momentum (currently)

He's a great player, one of the better guys out there doing the whole shred rock thing. My favorite stuff to listen to by him is actually on the first two Chickenfoot albums, those are awesome. I wish he'd do more band orientated stuff like that, not a fan of putting all the focus on one instrument. Though it is fine once in awhile, so there are some solo albums by him that I really enjoy. I mostly like Surfing With The Alien (no surprise there) and some stuff from Is There Love In Space. Most of his other albums I'm not too familiar with.

I also met him once, he signed my Chickenfoot CD. Very cool guy.

BbWbBG9.jpg

Reactions: Yax
I do like Satriani quite a bit as well, although the heavy use of the wah wah pedal annoys me. This annoyance has also leaked into some of his students that he used to teach as well (eg. Kirk Hammett).

I have every album he has released to date.

My favourites are 'Crystal Planet' and 'Super Colossal'.

To me, 'Time Machine' is the best song he's ever written.

Didn't know this thread existed.

It's cool some of you like Crystal Planet a lot, I've been enjoying it thoroughly over the past month. His best guitar sound and almost every song is good or superb.
The wah pedal doesn't annoy me. I find that he uses it very well to blend in with the licks. Hammett's use of wah is much inferior imo, he doesn't use it as wisely.

Been listening to Strange Beautiful Music as it was 2nd in Knick's list. Magnificent album, but the cover image could be better. The album title describes it perfectly. Worth listening!

Strange Beautiful Music was the first Satch record that came out while I was a fan, it will always have a special place in my heart. It helps that it's a damn good collection of tunes, too!

Sounds awesome! I'm really glad that Satch is switching up his band. These guys, mostly prog/hard rock vets, seem like they'll bring something new to the table! There's already a drum intro on this song and I'm all about it. The changeup behind the drum kit is really the most important to me, just as it was on Unstoppable Momentum. Don't get me wrong, Jeff Campitelli is one of the most solid backbone drummers in the biz, but Satch's writing got a little stale with him behind the kit.

In terms of pure enjoyment, Jeff Campitelli is a god to listen to. I've been loving the hell out of Super Colossal (the album) lately. On the other hand, it's true that Satchafunkilus and Black Swans felt a bit uninspired, the band switch is probably great in the end.

It's pretty good but hopefully not the best on the album. I find that the song is interesting and has different elements from his previous work but there should be something more to it. It's a very solid song, just not amazing.

It's pretty good but hopefully not the best on the album. I find that the song is interesting and has different elements from his previous work but there should be something more to it. It's a very solid song, just not amazing.
I pretty much agree, Saap. Solid and very good; just doesn't sound like anything very new though.

Back