Janick joining Maiden

Infinite Dreams was rehearsed and they decided to go with ATSS instead :facepalm: according to Rod Smallwood. Not sure why they decided not to do Still Life. Rod said they decided to drop Hallowed too and someone asked about Caught Somewhere in Time and the Rod said the band said they would never play it again because it sounds like sh*t live :facepalm: There was a whole thread on the Iron Maiden Fan club forum from someone who ran into Rod after the show in Atlanta on the second night of the tour in 2012.
Such a damn shame. Caught Somewhere In Time would sound incredible with three guitars! I remember finding that thread after I saw them spoiler-free on 7/4/12. Boy was I dissapointed.

I almost cried when I read what Rod said about what the band thought of Somewhere in Time songs live. Killed any hopes of them returning for us to hear :(

You'd think having Janick in the band (look at that, we're back on topic! :D ) would make them a bit more willing to explore rare, older tunes that were difficult to pull off live due to guitar part restraints.

I've been shocked myself by the isolated tracks of Rock in Rio 2001 when they surfaced. I just couldn't believe what I was hearing on Adrian's. Is this what your are referring to, or are there other stuff of this kind ?

That and Flight 666 for live performances, and also Dance of Death (solos are included in the isolated vocal tracks from what I guess is the 5,1 DVD-A, found on Youtube).

You'd think having Janick in the band (look at that, we're back on topic! :D ) would make them a bit more willing to explore rare, older tunes that were difficult to pull off live due to guitar part restraints.

I hardly think the guitar parts is the problem. Though the lack of more guitars can be blamed without risking anyone losing face.

I'm pretty sure the problem is the vocals. Maiden songs have many times been somewhere between challenging and insane vocal-wise. "Hallowed", with respect for it being a Maiden-classic, has a badly written vocal part with too many words that was almost impossible to sing with all words audible even in the original tempo. As for "Infinite Dreams" being dropped 'in favour' of "Afraid to Shoot Strangers", I think they opted for a song that was lighter on the vocal part. The former has long sections where there's no break for the Bruce to recover. "Seventh Son" was also in the set, and that's a monster of a vocal part. Now, Bruce is an exceptionally skilled singer who can still probably pull these songs off satisfactorily, but he can't reasonably be expected to do all these songs in the same set, night after night.

Though I must admit, seeing "Caught Somewhere in Time" live (or even on DVD) would make my life complete, regardless of how much Bruce might struggle with the song. It's one of my absolute favourite songs.

Yeah... but when they then decide to open the frigging encore with Aces High, of all songs, the "Bruce can't handle it" argument kind of goes out the window.

How about opening the encore with Caught Somewhere In Time instead? :D

"Aces High" is surely problematic, but so was having "Hallowed" as encore. I'm not saying that he can't handle it (actually, in the case of "Aces High", I do) but more that introducing even more challenging songs into the set could risk vocal fatigue setting in during the tour. Maybe they felt "Infinite Dreams" was on the wrong side of confidently getting through the set night after night.

"Aces High" is surely problematic, but so was having "Hallowed" as encore. I'm not saying that he can't handle it (actually, in the case of "Aces High", I do) but more that introducing even more challenging songs into the set could risk vocal fatigue setting in during the tour. Maybe they felt "Infinite Dreams" was on the wrong side of confidently getting through the set night after night.
Hallowed was originally much higher up in the Maiden England set, right before Wasted Years, as seen in the "countdown" video (the list is in Dave's hand).

As for ID, I have a feeling you're right... not that it makes me any less dissapointed!

Adrian Smith isn't a very clean or accurate player himself, even standing still. He may hit the right notes most of the time, but there's a lot of excessive string noise and unclean picking in there. I listened to isolated guitartracks from a 5,1 live mix on Youtube a few days ago, and while Janick's was surprisingly clean - Adrian's was a mess.

I would call this bullshit instantly if I hadn't heard those tracks myself.
Yes Adrian seems sloppy there, both in sound and in execution.

However, I have also listened to a lot of soundboard bootlegs featuring Adrian as one of two guitarists (in combo with Dave or Roy), where he is alone on a single stereo channel. Loud and clear. He plays with precision and control that Janick never had.
Neither did Adrian in his first Maiden stint. He admitted himself that rythmic control and precision was something he learned (eg. developed more) while playing with Roy.

By the way, I've seen Janick fuck up a song so much countless times. Like playing on an instrument out of tuning.

I have a bootleg of that gig. It's Boston 2006. Awfully out of tune acoustic guitar in The Legacy. The guitar tech had forgotten to tune the guitar.
edit: Unfortunately this song is not on YouTube.

How shall I share this mp3?

I vividly remember that story. But I forgot how I heard it. I am listening to it now, it's terrible. This is not just a bit out of tune. It sounds like it was tuned in the wrong way.

edit:
Here a little review of the show (not about firing):
http://maidenfansunited.com/topic/755370/1/
Audio clarity was noticeably better than in Hartford. Bruce was belting out the high notes all night long...didn't drop down on anything of substance until one line at the end of HBTN. Great energy from the band. All of them jumping, prancing, running, singing along.....great stuff. The boys had trouble coming in together on The Legacy again and apparently Janick's acoustic was woefully out of tune b/c Bruce made a comment about it after the song (and Janick kicked his tech in the ass when he came out to remove the acoustic after the song...good naturedly of course). Lots of crooked faces during and after that one! Don't know if they'll ever figure out how to tighten that one up. I kept cringing as well hoping it would be tight, but it just wasn't....no matter, still a great song during the heavy parts.

@Lego
@Yax
And others who're interested: here the download link of the Boston bootleg with the incredibly out of tune guitar in The Legacy. It was the 2nd gig of the A Matter of Life and Death World Tour.
Check how someone shouts "Fuck this shit!" a couple of seconds after Janick has started in The Legacy. Bruce calls it "the .... version" (can anyone hear what he says?)

@Lego
@Yax
And others who're interested: here the download link of the Boston bootleg with the incredibly out of tune guitar in The Legacy. It was the 2nd gig of the A Matter of Life and Death World Tour.
Check how someone shouts "Fuck this shit!" a couple of seconds after Janick has started in The Legacy. Bruce calls it "the .... version" (can anyone hear what he says?)

Wow. That really is awful. He must have felt lost.

On a side note, Bruce is working hard on the vocal line in the last part of the song ... and I don't care particularly for how Janick does the solo. The studio version is one of his best, this version not so much. And I recall that he did it better when I saw them in Bergen, Norway, on that tour.

Infinite Dreams was rehearsed and they decided to go with ATSS instead :facepalm: according to Rod Smallwood. Not sure why they decided not to do Still Life. Rod said they decided to drop Hallowed too and someone asked about Caught Somewhere in Time and the Rod said the band said they would never play it again because it sounds like sh*t live :facepalm: There was a whole thread on the Iron Maiden Fan club forum from someone who ran into Rod after the show in Atlanta on the second night of the tour in 2012.

What a shame re CSIT, because musically at least, it sounded great live with 2 guitars (I was lucky enough to attend 2 shows in 1986 and it rocked!) .....3 guitars should have been incredible.

@Lego
@Yax
Thanks a lot. I'm looking forward to listening to the whole gig, to see how they sounded so early in the tour.

You don't mean The Legacy's intro, do you? That was his guitar tech's fault. Fired on the spot.

Madrid 1999, Wrathchild, from the top of my head.
Also on VXI tour, South American bootlegs, don't remember either show or song now.

There were occasions.

Back