Janick joining Maiden

To be fair, Janick's prancing and guitar swirling doesn't bother me, but he should be called out for playing sloppy. He's a professional musician.
This. The only time the stage antics bug me is when it gets in the way of the music.

I don't think the tone of his guitar helped.

Agree with this as his tone blunts the intro to The Evil That Men Do, however, it provides contrast and clarity of notes during the duel guitar solo with Adrian in The Trooper.

To be fair, Janick's prancing and guitar swirling doesn't bother me

Me too. The way Janick points his guitar vertically up towards the gods and the fallen during his solo in Blood Brothers is the highlight of the song.

I am a fan of Janick, especially the 'showman' aspect....
But, I can also appreciate he's a bit sloppy at times too (and I'm no expert guitarist).
However, I am curious if anyone would agree, if I suggest that his guitar playing on Bruce's first solo album is better than what we heard on his first two Maiden albums?

However, I am curious if anyone would agree, if I suggest that his guitar playing on Bruce's first solo album is better than what we heard on his first two Maiden albums?

I sort of agree. I think he still had to find his place in the band. He did better on No Prayer than on Fear of the Dark, imho. The latter has one or two solos of his that I would actually consider 'bad'. By The X Factor, I feel that both he and the band had found out what they want to do with each other.

Hey, did you delete your post?

You're right that Janick's soloing went better on later Maiden albums. I especially find him great on the Blaze albums. My favourite three Janick in Maiden solos are: Como Estais Amigos, The Clansman and The Unbeliever.

On Tattooed Millionaire, the music is more mellow than on the aggressive No Prayer, and I think that suits Janick better. Some of his oldest known solos, the ones on the melodic White Spirit album, I like these a lot as well.

Yeah, you sounded kind of bitter in your reply, so I thought I said something wrong. It's back now.

Yes. I think he works better in a band where he's the sole guitarist, but once he found his role in Maiden he fit in a lot better. With a few exceptions here and there, those first two 90s albums could've easily been recorded with just one guitarist (especially Fear). There wasn't as much of a contrast in personality between the two players as there was with Dave and Adrian. To this day, I still have trouble telling who is playing what on some of that early 90s material.

I was 16 when Janick joined, and a complete Maiden freak. The reaction I remember most when he joined was relief that the band would carry on. I've always been grateful to him for keeping Maiden going! (I know, as an adult, how naïve that is! It's not like they would have struggled to get a guitarist when H left!).

The second thing was how much he rejuvenated Dave on stage. All of a sudden Dave was moving again, pulling shapes and going for the odd runaround. So, Janick was like a shot of electricity on stage.

However, the No Prayer album was a warning shot that, musically, things might not be OK without H. FOTD was the confirmation for me, and I fell out of love with Maiden when that came out.

Question: Did Janick jump around and dance etc as much in the 90s when it was just him and Dave? It seems to me that the critique over his performance has been bigger since Adrian returned...Maybe he needed to concentrate more when it was just him and Dave because they were only two?

Question: Did Janick jump around and dance etc as much in the 90s when it was just him and Dave? It seems to me that the critique over his performance has been bigger since Adrian returned...Maybe he needed to concentrate more when it was just him and Dave because they were only two?

Maybe there were more people watching.

Janick is seen by me in two ways and formats.. He is the type you grow to love or grow to be annoyed by. I will say this, as a songwriter, brilliant! Ghost of the Navigator is awesome and one of my favorites of all time. I grew to dislike him as a player and always felt like he was on his own side of the stage so the other members don't get axed by his guitar when he swings it around. Adrian and Dave always seem to stand side by side or front to back, Steve is everywhere as is Bruce and Janick seems to favor the front right of the stage looking towards it. He is on par with songwriting but playing I don't care for. He butchers solos, dances around and such and doesn't fit with the other members but he shows a lot of enthusiasm and I can appreciate that.

How doesn't his playing "fit" with the other members?

You say he butchers solos, dances around and such and doesn't fit: what else is wrong??

Adrian and Dave are not bouncing around, even in the 80s they weren't. Dave was a head banger then but Adrian always seemed to be still most of the time. Nothing else is wrong with him. Just his movement and solo butchering. never said anything else

Adrian and Dave are not bouncing around, even in the 80s they weren't. Dave was a head banger then but Adrian always seemed to be still most of the time. Nothing else is wrong with him. Just his movement and solo butchering. never said anything else
I actually love the fact that each band member has an individual character. I think it makes the band even more interesting.

Yes, and that's how Janick does fit. He complements the others.

I rather have a few butchered solos than looking at three sacks of potatoes playing every solo perfect. Not saying that Adrian looks like a sack potatoes (I love him!), I'm just trying make a contrast. If only perfectness is important, I can just as well stay home and listen to a CD.

I don't get what makes you think that when someone complains about Janick butchering solos they are expecting perfection. For me, if he's going to take one of Adrian's solos it should live up to the quality of the original at least. With the exception of his solo in Hallowed, I don't think he's done that. And a lot of those original Adrian solos are highlights of the song.

Back