ISIS Thread

Where did the Persians destroy Spartan monuments? Can you point me to your source? I never heard of it.

Then that random commenter didn't know what they were talking about. :P

Just for your information, it's not like there weren't cities in antiquity that were razed - there were tons of them. And the Persians were also happy to do it. Commonly, the sources say the buildings were destroyed, the men executed and the women and children sent to slavery... the Greeks did it, the Persians did it, the Romans did it, and people like Alexander the Great and Julius Caesar were masters of the art. But it's a different thing from what IS is doing in Nimrud, because these were cases of open warfare. They were not attempts to wipe out ancient history, but battles against contemporary enemies.

I see that yes. This is different. Couldn't help looking back though (and reading crappy comments on articles). ;)

The closest reference points to what IS is doing in Nimrud are the Taleban destructions of the Buddha statues of Bamiyan in 2001 and a failed attempt of Revolutionary Guards to blow up the ruins of Persepolis during the Iranian Revolution of 1979.

And what if palaces and temples were still inhibited by people of an ancient kingdom... then IS would have "taken" these people as well?

This gives me the shivers.

Let's say that anything would seem gentle compared to what the Belgians did in the Congo.

Another group of morons joining the cause.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2015/03/07/boko-haram-islamic-state-allegiance/24567365/

Boko Haram pledges allegiance to the Islamic State

Boko Haram's leader has pledged allegiance to the Islamic State in a new audio message, a group that monitors extremist activity said Saturday.

In the recording, a man claiming to be Abubakar Shekau, leader of the Nigerian terrorist group that has killed thousands, vowed to follow Islamic State leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, according to SITE Intel Group, a U.S.-based organization.

Flashpoint Intelligence, a global security firm, confirmed the recording to NBC News. USA TODAY was not immediately able to verify the message.

Boko Haram, which kidnapped hundreds of schoolgirls last year, has killed at least 13,000 people and forced nearly 1.2 million to flee to southern Nigeria, as well as neighboring Chad, Cameroon and Niger. Its name means "Western education is forbidden" in the Hausa language.

I watched this video recently on YouTube about Boko Haram. They've been ignored for YEARS now....but anyways, six minutes of your time time and you'll understand a whole lot more about Boko Haram!

Seems like ISIL razed Hatra ruins this morning. Reuters reported witnesses hearing loud explosions followed by bulldozers. No images yet.
Hatra ruins are listed World Heritage Site. Don't you think there should be some automatic UN directive that makes UNSC react with force any time this happens?

The museum I work in conducted excavations in both Nimrud and Hatra and has many pieces from there on display. The same goes for Raqqa and Aleppo, two places that have become victims of the war years ago. It is a very odd feeling.

ISIS fighters entered the ancient Syrian city of Palmyra on Wednesday, putting 2,000-year-old ruins at risk. ISIS has previously destroyed ancient cultural sites in Nimrud and smashed artifacts in a museum in Mosul. The city is also close to oil fields that the terror group has attacked and partially seized. According to the New York Times, “the fact that the Islamic State group…has been able to advance into Palmyra, five days after seizing Ramadi, in the Iraqi province of Anbar, demonstrates its ability to carry out complex operations simultaneously on multiple fronts, in the face of pitched resistance on the ground and from the air.” The fall of Palmyra also means control of a highway that leads to Damascus

Back