Is metal music bad for you?

Kynisk Sokol

Ancient Mariner
I'd say, yes it is.

Metal music is bad for you just by virtue of being anti-intellectual, monotonous drivel for bored middle-class children and the lower end of the economic spectrum. The ubiquitous repetitive hammering in metal riffs (000000000000), simple harmonic phrases and downright infantile lyrics with no real message other than satisfying pubescent angst with droll horror imagery should be proof enough of that. Add to this headbanging which is brain-damaging just by virtue of the stupidity of the act itself, moshing, and the uneducated body of metal musicians and fans who fail to make any sort of tangible impact anywhere in reality but have a glamorous existence within the artifice of the metal Disneyworld. 

Let's not forget rampant drug use and drunkedness, the transient mass of Myspace weekend metalheads or the handful of internet nerds that try to elevate the jam sessions a bunch of kids recorded while skipping school to High Nihilistic Art (TM); that is, if they're not waging war on the Internet Battleground over who likes which bands and who is smarter at metal. The latter group is possibly the most asinine since they're completely detached from reality and the majority of actual metal fans who sometimes enjoy metal outside of the glow of a computer monitor and made this music what it is in the first place, which is basically tunes for Joe Nobody to bang his drunken head to after his shift at the construction yard.

Metal music sure does correlate with all those things you mention. But it correlates with so much more than that as well. You just need to have an open mind and access to info (such as is displayed on the IMC). Oh, and lets not forget to mention that metal is anti-authoritative and rebellious in it's nature (that's why teens like it). Thus, it is not to be taken as a "way of life". Blind faith to a system leeds you to a wall. Any system.

I was far at the back, so I didn't see the urine balloons (I have more reason to think they were condoms, actually), and I probably also just didn't see the American flag... but I didn't notice anything from the Trivium guys until the singer started ranting. Needless to say, I did support what he said. What the prats did was just plain wrong. However, I was also pissed off by the singer demanding mosh pits... Bruce's rant about "safety of fans at the front of the crowd and the horrors of war."* was actually him being gutted at all those bloody moshers. Just goes to tell you how easily events can be distorted by the press.

*Bruce said (paraphrased from the best of my memory): "We're playing a lot of songs about war and about how shitty it is to get people out of body bags, and I don't want to take anyone of you out of a body bag tonight, so quit that pushing. There's some holes in the crowd** (...) all it takes is one or two arseholes (...) If I see that again, we'll stop playing and leave."

**The Trivium singer explicitly demanded these "circle pits".

Hi m8 ive been listening to Metal for over 30 odd years hasnt done me any harm, and im an old grandad now still with full hearing. If you enjoy it listen to it, the only bad thing about Metal is getting too drunk before the concert and throwing up afterwards. Not recommended by the way if you are in your 40's as its just red bull for me know at metal concerts or even a nice cold glass of coke. If you are young enjoy it, im sure a few maiden fans did when we were younger.

No, I don't think metal music is bad for me. This is the music that I like, and listen to everyday, in metal, I don't see anything for me to commit suicide, take drugs or worship Satan. I like some Black Metal, and people in bands of BM are usually satanic, so what? I enjoy the music, let them be that way, but it's the music that matters to me. So what that Ozzy Osbourne made a Suicide Song, and then a guy commited a suicide listening to that, I am not that way. Music out there is for me to enjoy not mess up my life. Music is entertainment for me. I don't know about you or the others, who take a shorter way to end their lives, I don't take music that seriously.
And yes, I am 14.

YES! It's HORRIBLE! I wake up every morning filled with nothing but regrets. Though I still walk, and I still breathe, I'm not the man I could be. There's a hole in my chest, and it's filled with all these regrets (BLAZE reference...). Metal is indeed bad for you, and every single record should be burned and blasted into oblivions. Metal shows kids that it's o.k. to sacrifice virgins to Satan and to slaughter goats and pigs. It's also used by Lucifer himself in order to recruit followers so he eventually can take over the world. Metal is evil. EVIL I SAY!

Now, on a more serious note: No, I don't think Metal's bad for you. Sure, there are some rotten eggs, but there will always be wherever you look.

Black Dragon said:
I'd say, yes it is.

Metal music is bad for you just by virtue of being anti-intellectual, monotonous drivel for bored middle-class children and the lower end of the economic spectrum. The ubiquitous repetitive hammering in metal riffs (000000000000), simple harmonic phrases and downright infantile lyrics with no real message other than satisfying pubescent angst with droll horror imagery should be proof enough of that. Add to this headbanging which is brain-damaging just by virtue of the stupidity of the act itself, moshing, and the uneducated body of metal musicians and fans who fail to make any sort of tangible impact anywhere in reality but have a glamorous existence within the artifice of the metal Disneyworld. 

Let's not forget rampant drug use and drunkedness, the transient mass of Myspace weekend metalheads or the handful of internet nerds that try to elevate the jam sessions a bunch of kids recorded while skipping school to High Nihilistic Art (TM); that is, if they're not waging war on the Internet Battleground over who likes which bands and who is smarter at metal. The latter group is possibly the most asinine since they're completely detached from reality and the majority of actual metal fans who sometimes enjoy metal outside of the glow of a computer monitor and made this music what it is in the first place, which is basically tunes for Joe Nobody to bang his drunken head to after his shift at the construction yard.

I was wondering how we can say that ???

Dagi really doesn't agree...

Metal music is good ! Point.  :mad:

Dagienny le Laurenien Suprême said:
I was wondering how we can say that ???

Dagi really doesn't agree...

Metal music is good ! Point.  :mad:

He's being sarcastic...

Blackie, you are the embodiment of the wacky, sarcastic, grumpy character of every sitcom

Black Dragon said:
Let this be a lesson to anyone who is unable to detect sarcasm on teh intrawebs.

You have over 700 posts... I don't understanfd how your post could be understood other than :
Raven said:
He's being sarcastic...

Yax said:
(...) Sure, there are some rotten eggs, but there will always be wherever you look.

Sure.

stu252 said:
Not recommended by the way if you are in your 40's as its just red bull for me know at metal concerts or even a nice cold glass of coke. If you are young enjoy it, im sure a few maiden fans did when we were younger.

Not only happy to encourage the listenning of metal music, you also make the apologia of any drugs. Do you know there are some kids who read you ?

porcnoz said:
Not only happy to encourage the listenning of metal music, you also make the apologia of any drugs. Do you know there are some kids who read you ?

How is a glass of coca cola and red bull apologia for drugs?

More pertinently, who said we can't post about drugs here just because kids might read it? If there's some kid who is so weak-minded as to think "I'm gonna go get high because SMX said to do it", then that kid has much deeper problems than being influenced by my post.

Pssst. By the way ...  go smoke a joint.

On topic: no form of music is bad for you. Music is just sound waves. Disturbances in the air. Unless it's so loud it ruptures your eardrums, there is no harm.

Back